Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 03:41   #1
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Missing yacht near Barbados..

Just heard from a friend a Polish boats missing near Barbados.. 2 on board in '70's.. seems skipper was chatting with daughter when contact lost nothing heard since.. Apparently French conducting search at moment

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 26-11-2017, 04:48   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Missing yacht near Barbados..

Some more detail in these translated news reports from Poland:

https://translate.google.com/transla...78&prev=search

https://translate.google.com/transla...ml&prev=search

And from the daughter's Facebook page (Google-translated):
S.O.S
I am looking for my parents who are doing Atlantic crossing. Please anyone who can have any information about them and their sailing yacht contact with me (agnieszkadabrowna [AT] gmail M: +48 605308103; https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=545272292 or SAR Barbados). Please share this post if you can.
My parents, Stan and Elizabeth (Stanislaw Dabrowny and Elzbieta Dabrowna) left Canaries Island on the 2nd of Nov and they’re heading to Barbados on Bavaria 44 S/Y VAGANT, Polish flag. They supposed to be there on the 24th Nov according to a schedule they gave to me. The last signal I'd received more than 24 hours ago and it was an odd phone call from my mum screaming my name but the connection was interrupted (UPDATE!!!! Position at time of missing N 13°14'60'' W 54°58'). There’s no signal now. I don’t know what happened, I informed SAR Barbados and Poland MFA. The last position for S/Y VAGANT was 450 miles from the East coast of Barbados N 13 51’ W 50 34’ on Monday at 0545 GMT. The satellite phone number they used: +881 6 316 95843.
Please do not hesitate to share this information. Anyone who can help please contact me. Thank you
Old 26-11-2017, 04:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing yacht near Barbados..

Nice one mate.. news I got was a bit sketchy from a Polish friend.. he went offline before I could get more info..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 26-11-2017, 06:00   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

I hope they are well. Doing 4 year circumnavigation at the age of 74 is that reasonable?
Old 26-11-2017, 06:06   #5

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

very reasonable
Old 26-11-2017, 07:02   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I stand corrected.

The English text in the snippet says the skipper went overboard. The wife alone and not able to run the boat nor manage the equipment.

Fingers crossed.

Very soon the ARC+ fleet will sweep thru the same area so there is big hope she will be rescued.

barnakiel
Old 26-11-2017, 07:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but the direct distance being 2700+ miles and most boats sailing the banana route, 24 days from Canary Islands to Barbados is not yet overdue.

Is their departure Nov 2 sure? Many boats claim departure then depart many days later.

Have they activated any sort of distress equipment? Epirb? Tracker? Ssb Mayday?

barnakiel
According to one of the links, all they have is sat phone.
Old 26-11-2017, 08:21   #8

Not a problem. Age not determinate. Experience and fitness is.
Old 26-11-2017, 08:40   #9

Fingers crossed... I am afraid it's not much hope for the overboard skipper One more reason that I buy a PLB...
Old 26-11-2017, 08:56   #10

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I hope they are well. Doing 4 year circumnavigation at the age of 74 is that reasonable?
Go when ya can....
Ya never know when ya can't
Old 26-11-2017, 09:03   #11

I shared information I received from Face Book, but I cannot see the text just now.

There is current information and it seems the husband was lost overboard, while the wife has limited sailing skills. The SAR is involved and a latest position was given.

Edit:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5272292&type=3

Aga Blazowska added 4 new photos.
Yesterday at 13:29 · Gdansk, Poland
Update to S/V Vagant !!!!!!!, man over board, during the incident the man who was skipper of the yacht fell overboard, his wife is alone on board without the skills and ability to control the yacht and navigation equipment, the approximate position of the yacht is 180nm east of Barbados, no correct GPS position. Now the satellite phone is working again but with difficulties, we try to contact the yacht and deliver help, finger crossed. Any boat in area please keep eye open!!!!
S.O.S
I am looking for my parents who are doing Atlantic crossing. Please anyone who can have any information about them and their sailing yacht contact with me (agnieszkadabrowna@gmail.com M: +48 605308103; https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=545272292 or SAR Barbados). Please share this post if you can.
My parents, Stan and Elizabeth (Stanislaw Dabrowny and Elzbieta Dabrowna) left Canaries Island on the 2nd of Nov and they’re heading to Barbados on Bavaria 44 S/Y VAGANT, Polish flag. They supposed to be there on the 24th Nov according to a schedule they gave to me. The last signal I'd received more than 24 hours ago and it was an odd phone call from my mum screaming my name but the connection was interrupted (UPDATE!!!! Position at time of missing N 13°14'60'' W 54°58'). There’s no signal now. I don’t know what happened, I informed SAR Barbados and Poland MFA. The last position for S/Y VAGANT was 450 miles from the East coast of Barbados N 13 51’ W 50 34’ on Monday at 0545 GMT. The satellite phone number they used: +881 6 316 95843.
Please do not hesitate to share this information. Anyone who can help please contact me. Thank you
Old 26-11-2017, 09:10   #12

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
very reasonable
The old skipper just went overboard and they were just beginning with more 4 years ahead. He would finish is circumnavigation with 78 years.

Maybe there are 78 years guys that remain fit enough to sail his 44ft alone across Oceans (the wife cannot sail the boat) but as a rule I would say that is not the case for the vast majority.

Off course, you can dream with that, or even take stupid risks to you and the other doing that but I don't think it is reasonable.
Old 26-11-2017, 09:34   #13

At least conditions are nice in the area, wind is blowing from the East, waves are moderate:

https://www.windy.com/?13.199,-59.329,11
Old 26-11-2017, 10:46   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
According to one of the links, all they have is sat phone.
There should be at least a dsc vhf too. From a Bav 44 mast this will alert any boats within 24+ miles radius.

I can't remember last time I have seen a boat without an epirb too. If they do not have one ... well. And if the sat phone stopped respondinng it likely just needs a charge.

Look here:

https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/eventfleetviewer.aspx

Looks like some 50 strong fleet coming into (this ?) area.

She has big chances of getting found and rescued soon, imho.

b.
Old 26-11-2017, 10:59   #15

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...location=group

Update to S/V Vagant !!!!!!!, My dad fell overboard on 21th Nov (53 15’W 15N), Apparently he is drifting on lifebuoy. Any boat in area please keep eye open!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
atlantic crossing, Barbados, family, yacht