Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2011, 04:17   #1

Dufour 425 or Beneteau 43 Oceanis or

Still trying to find our boat and have looked at alot of different sailboats. Presently considering Dufour 425 Grand Large or Bene 43 Oceanis. Also Hanse 43 a maybe, but don't like the open transom. We really prefer Jeanneau 42DS but not many available for sale. So it is more between the Dufour/Bene. We will live aboard and cruise around coastal Australia over a few years or more, now we are retired. We'd also like to do a trip out to Lord Howe Island too. Just 2 of us but our 2 adult children/friends will visit from time to time. Any opinions/experiences with these boats?? We look forward to being back on board and cruising again soon.
dmgf
dmgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 20:58   #2

Re: Dufour 425 or Beneteau 43 Oceanis or

Trying to revive this thread. Anybody out there with experiences in either a Dufour 425 or Beneteau 43 Oceanis. Both boats '07 models. Appreciate any imput. Thanks dmgf
Old 17-06-2011, 21:01   #3

Boat: Custom

Hi Doug

Not sure on the particular models but it always seemed to me that Dufour struggle to keep value here in OZ.

Just an observation

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 23:46   #4

Hi James
Thanks for that. Good consideration. We are in the Med. atm. Will ship the boat home after a little while here. So will eventually sell it in Oz in years to come.
dmgf
Old 01-05-2014, 16:45   #5

Both of these would be great boats for cruising. You can go around the world with either one, given proper preparation.

I have sailed the Beneteaus 40, 43, and 50 from that generation, and they are not as performant as the very newest Beneteaus, but have stayed some of my favorite boats out there, great quality/price balance. I love the open cockpit with the twin helms, love the layout. I personally don't think the DS are as nice for cruising; they emphasize the aft cabin, at the expense of the cockpit; access from the cockpit to the the sidedecks is more difficult because the cockpit has a round, big enclosure which is hard to walk over, epsecially when heeling. You simply don't spend that much time in your cabin to justify it, in my opinion and experience as a cruiser.

The Dufours have a reputation as being a bit higher end than Jeanneau or Beneteau, a bit better built. They have been making great cruising boats that have also been designed by racers, and also have a lot of good single or under-handed capacities.

The edge in your case goes to the B43 in my mind, because Beneteau has the best resale value of any brand out there.
ByronShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:57   #6

Thanks for your reply ByronShirley. We did buy our boat way back in mid 2011 & cruised the East Coast of Australia for almost 3 years. Ended up getting a Dufour 425 Grand Large - great boat, lovely to sail with a turn of speed & very comfortable to live aboard full time. We looked at a few Bene 43 Oceanis, recent models 2008- 2010. Even took one to survey but were not impressed with foredeck voids that needed attention. Looked at a couple more with same problem so stayed well away after that. I agree with your thoughts on Jeanneau DS but they do seem to be a sought after boat here in Oz.

We certainly had some wonderful times on our Dufour & would easily recommend the Grand Large as a great cruising boat. Sadly, just recently sold her to do land cruising in a caravan. I would have preferred to continue cruising the sea but my husbands knees were giving him too much grief after a longer passages. We had always only intended to revisit cruising for about 3 yrs anyway.
dmgf

Tags
beneteau, Dufour, oceanis