Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 12:11   #1

sailing on the east coast from Annapolis

I have a 1997 Block Island under contract to purchase with a close 2nd week of April. The boat is located near Annapolis MD and I will be transporting the boat to San Francisco CA. While the boat is on the east coast I want to take advantage and cruise the east coast with the boat. I am considering sailing to TX near Huston and transporting the boat from there or sailing north from Annapolis to Maine and back to Annapolis for transporting. Would like to hear from sailors with east coast experience with would be the preferred experience. I will also looking for crew once I sign off on the survey.
jonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:21   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: sailing on the east coast from Annapolis

Well, I'm a power boater, not a sailor, but it seems to me that if you don't have a specific reason to go north, sailing south and to TX makes sense because it shortens the overland trip to get your boat to CA. And that should save you money.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:24   #3

Boat: Boatless

We have done the trip, Maine/New York/Chesapeake to The Keys twice. Great places to visit like Charleston. The key to going south is to stay between the Gulf Stream flow and the coast in the countercurrent. South of Canaveral you need to be within 1/2 mile of the beach or you will be in the edge of the Gulf Stream flow. Maine is full of lobster pots you need a line cutter on the prop shaft.

In a good 2 day weather window you can go outside Hatteras on the 60 ft contour just inside the red markers within sight of the land.

Beware all East Coast entries in strong northerlies and easterlies. Even Jacksonville is no bargain in bad weather and the breakwater outside Charleston goes out a long way, do not cut the corner.

No knowledge of Key West to Houston.

Good luck and enjoy.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Well, I'm a power boater, not a sailor, but it seems to me that if you don't have a specific reason to go north, sailing south and to TX makes sense because it shortens the overland trip to get your boat to CA. And that should save you money.
yep about $4K
Old 08-03-2017, 13:41   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

I dunno, sailing to Houston in summer doesn't sound like it's worth saving $4k to me, lol. Consider that your insurance will be higher as well because you'll probably be into hurricane season going south, but it won't be that much.

My thoughts are that you get to interesting cruising faster going north than you do going south. Going south, if you don't do the ICW (which you don't want to do), you'll be making offshore hops, which you should be prudent about in a new-to-you boat. You could book down the ICW to Beaufort then go outside to Wrightsville Beach, then outside again to Georgetown, then again to Charleston, all easy overnight sails allowing you to arrive in daylight. I will say that Charleston is one of my favorite cities anywhere, but there are few good close by dockage/anchorage options relatively speaking. Leaving Charleston it's a longer dive down to Jacksonville and points south. You do have the draft to go inside the Keys so that's a nice option.

If you go north, from Naptown, it's one day to Chesapeake City, in the Delaware canal, another day to Cape May. Best course if you're not set on visiting NYC and dodging ferries as you plow up the East River is to wait for a weather window and go overnight to Block Island. That puts you in lovely cruising grounds that you should spend some time in...Essex, Mystic Seaport, Cuttyhunk, Naushon Island, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, all worth a visit. Then head on up to Maine, which is spectacular in summer.

That's a very pretty boat you picked up. Just be careful during your voyage that you keep a sharp eye on your voltage...you have very little storage capacity from the looks of it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 14:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I dunno, sailing to Houston in summer doesn't sound like it's worth saving $4k to me, lol. Consider that your insurance will be higher as well because you'll probably be into hurricane season going south, but it won't be that much.

My thoughts are that you get to interesting cruising faster going north than you do going south. Going south, if you don't do the ICW (which you don't want to do), you'll be making offshore hops, which you should be prudent about in a new-to-you boat. You could book down the ICW to Beaufort then go outside to Wrightsville Beach, then outside again to Georgetown, then again to Charleston, all easy overnight sails allowing you to arrive in daylight. I will say that Charleston is one of my favorite cities anywhere, but there are few good close by dockage/anchorage options relatively speaking. Leaving Charleston it's a longer dive down to Jacksonville and points south. You do have the draft to go inside the Keys so that's a nice option.

If you go north, from Naptown, it's one day to Chesapeake City, in the Delaware canal, another day to Cape May. Best course if you're not set on visiting NYC and dodging ferries as you plow up the East River is to wait for a weather window and go overnight to Block Island. That puts you in lovely cruising grounds that you should spend some time in...Essex, Mystic Seaport, Cuttyhunk, Naushon Island, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, all worth a visit. Then head on up to Maine, which is spectacular in summer.

That's a very pretty boat you picked up. Just be careful during your voyage that you keep a sharp eye on your voltage...you have very little storage capacity from the looks of it.
After thinking it out I have given up on sailing to Huston and you are right not a lot of electrical storage this has been a Chesapeake Bay day sailor all it’s less than 19 years good reason why it went for the boat. I plan to have a gps plotter installed in MD and will look into solar. My plans for the boat is day sailing and coastal cruising ambitions Victoria Island
Old 09-03-2017, 08:22   #7

Boat: Allied Princess II 36 Ketch

I think the boat you've purchased is three boats away from mine at the Bay ridge Marina. You seek advice about the East Coast. I know the boat and its former owner. Good choice and good luck.
Dave Humphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:32   #8

Boat: Hylas 49

I'm in Annapolis. I've done the Annapolis Newport race. I would not go north until after Memorial Day. Even in Newport, it is off-season until mid-June. The trip between Cape May and Newport gives you the option of the Sound or offshore. The East River should not be missed, at least one-way.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:44   #9

Chesapeake bay has some good places, at least do that. As mentioned, Charleston etc are nice also. But get you no closer to the west.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:54   #10

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

I can't speak to the logistics of shipping or your overall plan, but I can say without any hesitation that nothing beats the coast of Maine in the summertime. Let me know if you want specific recommendations.

Edit: Sorry I just realized you're not talking about summer. Probably still pretty chilly up there in April, although still gorgeous.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:42   #11

I do greatly appreciate all the insight provided. I definitely want to sail the Chesapeake Bay and east coast. I am still weighing options. I did receive a private reply form someone with vast experience that is interested in sailing the boat to the west coast with me. Understanding sailing to the west coast would not start until late fall still plenty of summer time to enjoy the east coast. Also I have off shore experience on the west coast down to South America but it has been many year ago. The name of the boat is Manitou can be found on Yachtworld presently in a boat yard in Rock Hall MD
Old 10-03-2017, 05:05   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbuilder View Post
I have a 1997 Block Island under contract to purchase with a close 2nd week of April. The boat is located near Annapolis MD and I will be transporting the boat to San Francisco CA. While the boat is on the east coast I want to take advantage and cruise the east coast with the boat.
Quote:
I do greatly appreciate all the insight provided. I definitely want to sail the Chesapeake Bay and east coast. I am still weighing options. ... Understanding sailing to the west coast would not start until late fall still plenty of summer time to enjoy the east coast. ... The name of the boat is Manitou can be found on Yachtworld presently in a boat yard in Rock Hall MD

Think I'd consider wandering around the northern Chesapeake -- roughly the Choptank River as the southern border -- and tributaries until approx mid-June. That could get you into the Choptank, Severn, Chester, etc. and even into the Patapso (Baltimore Harbor) if you choose.

Then head north to Maine or wherever. The return south starting in approx Sept and make your way down the lower Chesapeake and eventually off toward TX.

That takes advantage of hot-versus-cool weather.

FWIW, you could probably spend the whole summer on the Chesapeake and not see it all... but July and August are usually relatively hot and sticky here...

-Chris
Old 11-03-2017, 13:27   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I do greatly appreciate all the insight provided. I definitely want to sail the Chesapeake Bay and east coast. I am still weighing options. I did receive a private reply form someone with vast experience that is interested in sailing the boat to the west coast with me. Understanding sailing to the west coast would not start until late fall still plenty of summer time to enjoy the east coast. Also I have off shore experience on the west coast down to South America but it has been many year ago. The name of the boat is Manitou can be found on Yachtworld presently in a boat yard in Rock Hall MD
I would probably not head north until May, when it starts to warm up. That would give you plenty of time to check out the Chesapeake, which you don't want to be in during summer anyway. If you really want to go through NYC I would save it for the trip back...better current that way. That's also when I'd visit spots in the western sound like Oyster Bay and the Thimble Islands.

Traditional time to head south from Annapolis is Nov. 1, as that is the end of hurricane season as far as insurance companies are concerned. So come on back, hit up the boat show, then consider joining the Salty Dawg Rally if you want to get down the coast fast. Many participating boats don't go to the BVIs but peel off and head to Florida. The rally leaves from Hampton VA and it's fun, and for a modest contribution you get safety seminars and personalized weather routing from Chris Parker.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 13:42   #14

Boat: Block Island 40

I just sent you a p/m.
paulie4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 14:46   #15

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I would probably not head north until May, when it starts to warm up. That would give you plenty of time to check out the Chesapeake, which you don't want to be in during summer anyway. If you really want to go through NYC I would save it for the trip back...better current that way. That's also when I'd visit spots in the western sound like Oyster Bay and the Thimble Islands.

I would agree that the Thimbles are a great stop. People generally allow you to grab any open mooring there. Oyster Bay is OK but too far out of the way, in my opinion. I prefer the free moorings in Port Washington if I'm on my way in or out of the city.

I don't know why you say it's better to ride the current southbound out of NYC, though. If you time it right, you get a favorable current pretty much the whole trip between the Narrows and the Throgs Neck in either direction. If heading North, pass the Battery at two hours after low tide (at the Battery). If heading South, pass the Throgs Neck at exactly high tide (at Throgs Neck).

ActiveCaptain info for the area is pretty detailed and accurate when it comes to looking for anchorages in NY Harbor.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, east coast, sail, sailing