Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2017, 19:22   #1
Marine Service Provider

Looking for interest in a new program for cruising sailors

Hi Cruisers Forum Sailors,

My cruising partner and myself have spent the last 8months developing a new interactive cruising map platform for sharing information about the worlds waterways. It's a sophisticated and easy to use program which uses google maps as its platform. Users are able to add a variety of information markers including; anchorage information, marinas, dinghy tie up points, swimming spots and navigation information (just to name a few). We developed this program because we saw the need for a tool which would allow the cruising community to connect and share detailed information about cruising grounds.

As the platform grows in users, we will no doubt see a lot of useful information on anchorages and marinas, although a real hidden benefit of this tool will be in the smaller pieces of information it will contain. Users are able to share locations of taps, bins, local shops and repair facilities, as well as information and accounts about bar entrances and passages. We can update information together to create an up to date and useful data base, as well as leave messages and comments to/for other users. We engineered the program to give users near complete control over the functions in the program. Any user can create, edit and add to any piece of information on the site. It's designed to give users a fully interactive experience.

Asides from the information adding functions, the site includes a social connection aspect with every user having a profile page in which they can add a bio, information on their vessel and their crew and post blogs and receive comments and messages from other users. Users can also leave up to date location markers on the map for family and other sailors to see.

We are aware of other attempts at this style of platform. Most notably active captain. The sophistication of our program, the freedom of access and functionality given to the users, the social connection functions and all the advantages of modern technology, is what sets Zulu Waterways apart.

The program and is and will always be 100% free to use. There is no aspect of the program that costs money. Not now, or in the future. We are cruisers too, and this is a gift to the cruising community which we hope to see grow into a useful tool for everyone.

You can check out the site at http://www.zuluwaterways.com

Or watch the video below for a brief introduction to the functions available.

We welcome any and all feedback.
Attached Files
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 20:40   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Looking for interest in a new program for cruising sailors

Apologies if anyone has trouble accessing the site using a phone. These issues will be resolved in the next 8hrs. It works best on ipad or computer.
Old 23-06-2017, 17:50   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Looks good and simple to use.
And a quick and good response to a question as well, thank you
Old 24-06-2017, 03:41   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

That looks great, signed up and will spread the word. As you say the other options aren't really as good for the smaller day to day locations like back street shops selling that connector that broke or whatever.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 09:26   #5

Boat: Taswell 49' All Season Pilothouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendan
Thumbs up Re: Looking for interest in a new program for cruising sailors

Herreshoff,
This is a great idea, well done - will give it a go!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 11:36   #6

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

Looks very promising. Only as good as what people contribute of course - but this is a great application of crowdsourcing information. And seeing what is already posted up in Australia is some great encouragement!

Nicely done! Here's to hoping people start using and contributing.
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 21:50   #7

Boat: Precision 18

I like it, signed up, made an addition to see how it works (very well) and sent it on to my buddies. Nice job!
olaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 16:19   #8
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. It's exciting times.

The site's already building momentum with around 80 registered users signing up in the first 48hrs, which is more than we were expecting. Thanks to everyone who's checked it out. It's great to see the map starting to be filled in all around the world.
Old 25-06-2017, 19:20   #9

No joy playing video with my 3rd gen IPad. Thought you might want to know. Look forward to checking it out when resolved.
Old 25-06-2017, 20:15   #10
Marine Service Provider

Thanks, that's good to know. Can I ask, was that trying to play the video attached to this tread? Or the video on the site?
Old 26-06-2017, 08:03   #11

I was talking about the original attached file. When I go to the site (which looks great and seems to function fine, except video) the attempt to play a video gives me a 'play' icon with a slash through it - so I never get to actually try to play it.
...However I just checked with my IPhone and video plays fine - maybe I have an Ipad issue.
Old 26-06-2017, 08:32   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Busy adding the handiest back street shops in the Algarve

Couple of thoughts - it might be handy to have a boatyard icon for hauling out and an icon for local authority offices like port captain. customs . immigration etc?

Also, being able to search both an area and icon type at the same time would be great, so you could look for "fuel" in Gran Canaria etc.

Fantastic site straight away though, I'll rant at every happy hour
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 18:19   #13
Marine Service Provider

You must be PaddyB on the Zulu are you? Great job adding all those markers. The information looks good. Well done.

Yeah it's easy for us to add any icon types which don't already exist. Any ideas for marker you have, just send them through and we will add them. I will work on adding icons for boatyard and customs today.

The search issue is a little more complicated. We are going to try and prompt people to put the location as part of the title, for example 'fuel dock Gran Canaria'. This way it will come up in the search icon search. Another method we could try is to add a 'search icons within this area' function. The search would then search the areas visible on the map where the user is looking.

Thanks for your input. Keep it coming.
Old 26-06-2017, 20:16   #14

Boat: Cavalier 37ft

Looks Amazing guys, Is it ok to copy this and link it on our Facebook Page 'Sailing Australia' https://www.facebook.com/groups/1647...?ref=bookmarks

Great Job. Joining as we speak
cal_d_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 20:44   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_d_44 View Post
Looks Amazing guys, Is it ok to copy this and link it on our Facebook Page 'Sailing Australia' https://www.facebook.com/groups/1647...?ref=bookmarks

Great Job. Joining as we speak

Absolutely you can share! We want to get it out to as many sailors as we can. Let me know if you have any suggestions for the site.

Thanks.

Tags
cruising, sail