Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 14:12   #1

Need help With destinations sailing out of Tampa Bay

Hello All,

Chartering out of Sailing Florida in Tampa Bay.

I am looking for recommendations for four days of sailing. I would like to somehow make a loop ending up back in Tampa Bay. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the area and want to know what everyone thinks.

45 foot mono with 4 adults and 4 almost teen kids. Reading the charts, the water looks thin in lots of places but I know things can be misleading at times. Not afraid to anchor.

I am not a huge fan of the lets go ashore and go to tshirt shops all day stuff. More of the lets go to the beach and enjoy the water and snorkeling and grill out on the boat.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!
jimfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:10   #2

Boat: Norseboat 17.5
Re: Need help With destinations sailing out of Tampa Bay

I've a feeling that you already went... but thread resurrection seems a good idea, since I'm doing a 7 day trip in late March.

Chartering a 44 out of ST Pete, will spend the first day mucking about Tampa Bay, learning systems with a captain (we've chartered before, but this is bigger). Stay that night back at their marina, will go provisioning after we return the skipper. Kids can swim while we shop, then we store provisions, shower and dinner.

Day 1: Sail to Manatee River, anchor upstream (Hooker Island) and visit a brother in law north of the bridges. Then return to the boat, motor/sail to Jewfish anchorage just past Longboat Pass

Day 2: Long day sail Longboat to Charlotte Harbor via Boca Grande, anchor behind the island. Obviously, this is only potentially possible... Early start is a must. A stop into Venice might be required, and either anchor to the immediate right, or secure a berth.

Day 3: Explore Boca Grande lighthouse, then sail Charlotte Harbor to Punta Gorda. Marina at Fisherman's Village

Day 4: Day excursion Peace River via airboat Scheduled mid morning so a bit of "still arriving" time is available

Day 5: Sail Punta Gorda to points north, possibly as far as Venice

Day 6: Return to Bradenton/Tampa Bay area

Day 7: Return to St Pete Marina, fly out

Obviously, this is contingent on a cooperative weather system. If the weather is dicey, then we either cancel the Peace River jaunt, or rent a car and do it from a safe port further north. We have the Brother in Law in Bradenton who can help with those sort of logistics, or there is Uber

If weather is from the south early in the week, and not expected from there later, we will do Tampa Bay sailing, Gulfport/Clearwater/Anclote Keys, but will be limited by shallower water depths. I guess beach days or find a marina with a pool for the kids.

Ideal weather is steady winds from the west, but prevalent winds are usually from the east. That means lower water, but also means many anchorages will be well protected. Once offshore, east winds are great for sailing to and from Charlotte H, so I'm hopeful.
phillysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 13:18   #3

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysailor View Post
I've a feeling that you already went... but thread resurrection seems a good idea, since I'm doing a 7 day trip in late March.

Chartering a 44 out of ST Pete, will spend the first day mucking about Tampa Bay, learning systems with a captain (we've chartered before, but this is bigger). Stay that night back at their marina, will go provisioning after we return the skipper. Kids can swim while we shop, then we store provisions, shower and dinner.

Day 1: Sail to Manatee River, anchor upstream (Hooker Island) and visit a brother in law north of the bridges. Then return to the boat, motor/sail to Jewfish anchorage just past Longboat Pass

Day 2: Long day sail Longboat to Charlotte Harbor via Boca Grande, anchor behind the island. Obviously, this is only potentially possible... Early start is a must. A stop into Venice might be required, and either anchor to the immediate right, or secure a berth.

Day 3: Explore Boca Grande lighthouse, then sail Charlotte Harbor to Punta Gorda. Marina at Fisherman's Village

Day 4: Day excursion Peace River via airboat Scheduled mid morning so a bit of "still arriving" time is available

Day 5: Sail Punta Gorda to points north, possibly as far as Venice

Day 6: Return to Bradenton/Tampa Bay area

Day 7: Return to St Pete Marina, fly out

Obviously, this is contingent on a cooperative weather system. If the weather is dicey, then we either cancel the Peace River jaunt, or rent a car and do it from a safe port further north. We have the Brother in Law in Bradenton who can help with those sort of logistics, or there is Uber

If weather is from the south early in the week, and not expected from there later, we will do Tampa Bay sailing, Gulfport/Clearwater/Anclote Keys, but will be limited by shallower water depths. I guess beach days or find a marina with a pool for the kids.

Ideal weather is steady winds from the west, but prevalent winds are usually from the east. That means lower water, but also means many anchorages will be well protected. Once offshore, east winds are great for sailing to and from Charlotte H, so I'm hopeful.
This is a pretty good itinerary, Charlotte Harbor is good sailing. I moored down there for a couple of years. I can't say anything about Peace River due to my air draft. However, I would add Cabbage Key to the route instead. Good restaurant with a nice bar, not too pricey either that you must get to by boat. Anchor across the ICW by Useppa Island.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysailor View Post

My only advice is don't plan on anchoring in Venice. Get a slip at fishermans wharf which is about a mile south of the inlet. They have floating concrete docks and it's a very short walk to grocery store and they have a restraunt on site. Also a short walk to downtown Venice. The other option is crows nest right at the inlet with fixed docks.

Home
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
destination, sail, sailing