Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2016, 05:17   #1

Dufour Grang Large

Going to look at a new Dufour 46 Grand Large. Looking for those of you with experience with Dufour. We will be placing it in the BVI charter fleet. Any comments appreciated.
safariKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 08:06   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Dufour Grang Large

Looks like a great boat for the charter market. I like the interior design, it's a bit different than the norm. Looks like a fun boat to sail.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 08:14   #3

Polux thinks that they are not quite as well built as a Benni
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 08:35   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
ROFL
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 08:57   #5

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Great boats- my previous was an ATOL 3
She is s fine sailer
very confortable in heavy seas
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 13:06   #6

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Not really me. That come as a surprise for me but I trust the ones that passed that information: A well know poster that has a fleet charter that includes Dufour Grand Large and Beneteau and a friend that is surveyor and that surveys about 2 boats each week, with a big experience regarding new boats, including new Beneteaus and Dufour Grand Large.

For what I can tell difference in quality is not that big nd I like Dufour's boat design.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 14:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Not really me. That come as a surprise for me but I trust the ones that passed that information: A well know poster that has a fleet charter that includes Dufour Grand Large and Beneteau and a friend that is surveyor and that surveys about 2 boats each week, with a big experience regarding new boats, including new Beneteaus and Dufour Grand Large.

For what I can tell difference in quality is not that big nd I like Dufour's boat design.
So what you are saying is that one of your friends that is a surveyor believes that Benni's are built better than Dufour's, is that correct?
Your other point is that your personally don't think there is a big difference in quality and you quite like the Dufour's design.
By the way, in your mind do you think Dufour builds a better rudder support structure than Beneteau or are they about the same??
Old 19-06-2016, 15:07   #8

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
So what you are saying is that one of your friends that is a surveyor believes that Benni's are built better than Dufour's, is that correct?
Your other point is that your personally don't think there is a big difference in quality and you quite like the Dufour's design.
By the way, in your mind do you think Dufour builds a better rudder support structure than Beneteau or are they about the same??
He does not believe, he says it and that opinion has been reinforced by the opinion of a member with a charter fleet (with Dufours) that says about the same.

I believe their opinions are qualified and I have no reason to doubt but I don't believe that the difference in quality will be huge.

Yes I do like the design of several Dufours as main market mass production boats, compared with other similar designs. One thing is the boat design another is the boat built. Many times it is the builder that tells the designer how they want the boat to be built. By design here I am not referring to the boat engineering but to hull design, rig design, cabin design and interior design.

No, I don't believe they use the same rudder structure Beneteau uses (at least the last one that I sailed for two weeks, a 425) but they use the same building hull method (moule and contre moule) as well as an integral support for the keel ( a matrix). By the way on that 425 the ladder support broke and the GRP was so thin there that I wondered how it had resisted so long. It was a new charter boat (4 months). The 425 sailed very well and I liked a lot of things on that boat.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 17:06   #9

Damn polux. I don't know you but every one of your posts I read makes me grin

Not sure why though... Maybe because I like bene's, dufour's and jeanneau's too, although mainly just from an visual point because I don't have any real technical knowledge about them (or any other sailboat for that matter).

It just feels like fresh change from the usual boats discussed here. Maybe it's a cultural barrier or taste, I don't know.

Sorry for the off topic. Couldn't help myself this time.

Tony

Enviado do meu GT-I9195 através de Tapatalk
tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 17:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
He does not believe, he says it and that opinion has been reinforced by the opinion of a member with a charter fleet (with Dufours) that says about the same.

I believe their opinions are qualified and I have no reason to doubt but I don't believe that the difference in quality will be huge.

Yes I do like the design of several Dufours as main market mass production boats, compared with other similar designs. One thing is the boat design another is the boat built. Many times it is the builder that tells the designer how they want the boat to be built. By design here I am not referring to the boat engineering but to hull design, rig design, cabin design and interior design.

No, I don't believe they use the same rudder structure Beneteau uses (at least the last one that I sailed for two weeks, a 425) but they use the same building hull method (moule and contre moule) as well as an integral support for the keel ( a matrix). By the way on that 425 the ladder support broke and the GRP was so thin there that I wondered how it had resisted so long. It was a new charter boat (4 months). The 425 sailed very well and I liked a lot of things on that boat.
OK that post was pretty clear.
Old 19-06-2016, 17:42   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Very good charter boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 04:41   #12

Boat: Dufour 382 38'
Re: Dufour Grand Large

Just checked a 460 on the Adriatic a few miles north of Trogir. The boat is in a charter fleet and a friend of mine would like to buy one for something called "event chartering". His key point was the kitchenette on the aft - as if it was purpose-built for a skipper to entertain guests. Honestly, I liked it very much. The build quality is typical Dufour, i.e. pretty nice for a mass-production boat, imho a notch above the rest of the pack. Interior is well thought-out and good looking (I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder). I still love my Dufour 382 and still happy with the dealer - would not hesitate to buy again. Just my 2c's
Csory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 13:33   #13

Thank you all for your replies. We fell in love with the features for a charter boat, especially the aft outdoor galley. Took the plunge and bought a 460 Grand Large. I hope it will rent well in the charter fleet. Headed for the BVIs in Dec.
safariKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dufour