Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2015, 07:49   #16

Boat: 1983 Freedom 39 Deck Salon
Re: Catalina 27 11 hp diesel will go how fast

We did 6 crossings of the Columbia river bar in our 1982 Catalina 27 with a 9.9hp outboard. Make sure of your tides, you want to cross at slack tide before the flood. Always check with the Coast Guard about bar conditions, there's a reason they have their rough water training in Astoria. Stay well clear of the spits on either side. And we preferred mornings, the afternoon chop in the bay can be quite rough.

Good Luck

Have fun.
monroe0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 07:56   #17

Boat: Endeavour 32

Not familiar with that location so I looked it up
Crossing the Columbia River Bar#
I have a Morgan 27 and I would not attempt what you are planning. unless you can wait for a day when the seas are calm trailer your boat to another location
Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 08:31   #18

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Thanks Mark, I'd heard about that with spark plugs on gas engines, but didn't see anything ready made for the universal. There probably are some spark plug fittings that might work though. Luckily the eye bolts on the 5411 are on the head, so I was going to try to lift it off with those (dangling from a hoist with a rubber mallet to try to relieve any point pressure). To do it in situ; I'd need to drill through my cockpit floor and mount a backed eye bolt, so I'm pulling the motor in MD. And hey, if you're looking for a spare non-working 5411 ...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 09:38   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
If you have the right pitch mated to the proper transmission ratio and engine at max rpms which means you'll be burning extra fuel. Your best bet is to count on 5 knots and time the tides right.
I would concur. HUD3 I believe was giving the theoretical hull speed and he was right on but don't believe I would count on if I where the OP.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 10:55   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I would concur. HUD3 I believe was giving the theoretical hull speed and he was right on but don't believe I would count on if I where the OP.
I don't ever disagree with Hud. I've never seen him give incorrect information. I just wanted to make certain that the theoretical hull speed is only reached under the most optimal conditions which will not be the case.
Old 21-05-2015, 11:05   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
If it's a universal 11 hp, it's the 5411. It pushed my P28-1 at 5.5 in flat water at 80% throttle easily. That's a heavier boat than yours I believe, possibly with more waterline though. With a light head to beam wind, I could see 6.5 pretty easily motor sailing.
The Pearson has 2.25 more LWL and this will definitely not be flat water unless the moon, sun, planets are all aligned and the river stops running.
Old 21-05-2015, 12:53   #22

How about the stars in the Milky Way?
Just wanted to give a flat water estimate. I'll give a bad case estimate too. Coming in to key west channel against a 20 knot wind and 2 knot current (but still flat water), I struggled to hit 1.8 knots consistently (sails were down as I'd taken them off before entering the channel as per my habit). If there's any wave action, you will probably struggle to make headway and have difficulty holding course.

Old 21-05-2015, 13:36   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

My C27 with a decently clean hull would do 5 easy and 5.5 pushing hard with a 9.9 long shaft. I could get her to 6 or 6.5 under sail with the motor up. She would get a happy little flutter in the rudder at those speeds.

Old 21-05-2015, 13:40   #24

Quote:
Thanks Mark, I'd heard about that with spark plugs on gas engines, but didn't see anything ready made for the universal. There probably are some spark plug fittings that might work though. Luckily the eye bolts on the 5411 are on the head, so I was going to try to lift it off with those (dangling from a hoist with a rubber mallet to try to relieve any point pressure). To do it in situ; I'd need to drill through my cockpit floor and mount a backed eye bolt, so I'm pulling the motor in MD. And hey, if you're looking for a spare non-working 5411 ...

I heard of a guy with a Triumph TR7, which are notorious for stuck cylinder heads. After trying the usual things, he suspended the entire car by the cylinder head, using an engine hoist, front wheels in the air. Sprayed the head studs with PB Blaster every day, for a week. On the 7th day, the head was off and the car was on the ground.
Old 21-05-2015, 13:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
On the 7th day, the head was off and the car was on the ground.
I hope they built their suspensions better than they built their engines ...

That's my plan as well. I have a week or so layover in Severna Park, MD where I'll haul the engine and leave it suspended (while tapping with the rubber mallet occasionally), and hopefully it will come off!
Old 21-05-2015, 13:49   #26

Quote:

That's my plan as well. I have a week or so layover in Severna Park, MD where I'll haul the engine and leave it suspended (while tapping with the rubber mallet occasionally), and hopefully it will come off!
You're talking about a car that was so well made, that some of the earlier ones would self destruct while parked outside the factory. There was so much residual stress in the body after forcing it into the right shape to weld it together, that they would later burst apart again.

Is this what they call thread drift?
Old 21-05-2015, 13:50   #27

Quote:

Spray with PB Blaster every day. It does work, but needs time. Now don't take this the wrong way, but you wouldn't be the first person to think he's taken all the head bolts off, but had actually left a couple in place. Are you sure they are all off?
Old 21-05-2015, 13:54   #28

Quote:
You're talking about a car that was so well made, that some of the earlier ones would self destruct while parked outside the factory. There was so much residual stress in the body after forcing it into the right shape to weld it together, that they would later burst apart again.

I kind of miss the puddles of oil and bits of rust on the garage floor from my TR4A.

Hot little car when it was running right!
Old 21-05-2015, 14:12   #29

Quote:

I thinks so? I'm lost.
Old 21-05-2015, 14:23   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I kind of miss the puddles of oil and bits of rust on the garage floor from my TR4A.

Hot little car when it was running right!
You should have had an MGTD. Kept a unisync in the glove box. Love those SU carbs. Is this the English car thread? I may still have some Whitworth wrenches.

Tags
catalina, diesel