Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2018, 20:33   #1

Boat: Van De Stadt Augulis 45
One Season,NZ, Tonga, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Lord Howe Island, Sydney and Tasmania.

Hi Guys,

I am Planning a trip to get our Boat to Aus, which is currently in Opua NZ.
We are planning on Leaving NZ late April Early June, this trip will be my first Crossing or water sailing">Blue water sailing as Such.

We plan to sail To Tonga first then off to Vanuatu, New Caledonia then Lord Howe for Christmas and Tasmania Mid Jan 2019.

Wondering if anyone has done a similar Route before ? what and where do I get my visas from ? weather wise it all looks like it should work out well apart from New Caledonia to Lord howe Island I can not seem to find anyone whom has done this before.

Any Help would be appreciated. Kind Regards Michael.
mike1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 22:00   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: One Season,NZ, Tonga, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Lord Howe Island, Sydney and Tasman

If you have a Tasmanian passport then you don't need visas for Vanuatu or New Caledonia. For Tonga see here:
Tourism Tonga | Visa Requirements

Addit: Sorry, have not been on Lord Howe Island.
Old 22-01-2018, 23:12   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: One Season,NZ, Tonga, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Lord Howe Island, Sydney and Tasman

A good place to check visa and boat entry current rules is at Noonsite.com — Just select the country that you are interested in.

Skipping Fiji? It's pretty much on the way.

For weather on the passage from NZ to Tonga check Gulf Harbour Radio at https://www.yit.nz
Old 23-01-2018, 15:16   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We've done all those passages*, but not strung together in one season. That's moving pretty fast and doesn't allow much time to get to know any of the places that you will be visiting. In your place I'd likely leave out Tonga and spend more time in Vanuatu and New Cal. But that's just me! Also makes the north bound passage from NZ a bit easier in most years.

* We have never tried entering Oz at Lord Howe... not even sure it is an entry port. Have done NC to Gladstone, Bundaberg, Brisbane, Coffs and Sydney. Have also done Vanuatu to Oz direct a few times, sometimes with stops at the offshore reefs. There are advantages to each one, but IMO they are all superior entry ports to LH in terms of being sure of a safe anchorage upon arrival. Don't know what your draft is, but if >2 m anchorage in the lagoon at LH is limited or unavailable, and things can be kinda rough even in the better parts of the lagoon in stiff weather.

Depending on the actual timing of the return to Oz and your feelings about the southward trek down the coast, clearing in further south can ease the trip to Tassie. Could even clear in Eden and be ready to jump off across the Strait at the first wx opportunity.

Lots of options, that's for sure!

Jim
Old 24-01-2018, 12:40   #5

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Lord Howe is not a clearance port. And I heard that even if your sailing from Australia to there you have to let them know that your coming these days. You also have to take a mooring and cannot anchor so that might be the reason for letting them know.Not sure if that's true. Once there however it's a very beautiful island, or it was 40 years ago !!!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 13:00   #6

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/...ew-south-wales

Lord Howe Island

Quote:
Position
Latitude: 31°32'S
Longitude: 159°04'E

Charts of Area:
AUS 610

Department of Home Affairs contact details

Telephone: +61 2 6563 2481 (business hours)
Fax: +61 2 6563 2131

Department of Agriculture contact details
Serviced by the Department.

Boarding Station for Arrival
Arriving vessels must contact Lord Howe Island by Maritime Radio prior to entering lagoon

Port Draughts Lagoon 2.3 metres (maximum)

Note: Due to staffing restraints on Lord Howe Island we are unable to provide Department of Home Affairs and Department of Agriculture clearances for arriving and departing smallcraft. Craft are still allowed to use Lord Howe Island as a tech stop (refuelling, provisioning) but,

For smallcraft landing at Lord Howe Island from overseas, must make their next landfall at one of the Department of Home Affairs declared ports on mainland Australia. (Sydney, Newcastle, Eden, Coffs Harbour and Brisbane)

For craft departing for overseas via Lord Howe Island will need to obtain their clearance at the Department of Home Affairs declared ports on mainland Australia. (Sydney, Newcastle, Eden, Coffs Harbour and Brisbane)

Passengers onboard arriving and or departing smallcraft are not permitted to break their journey on Lord Howe Island and make their way to mainland Australia by commercial aircraft. Additionally no arriving and or departing smallcraft can take on passengers on Lord Howe for transport to the mainland or overseas destination. Normal biosecurity restrictions apply whilst at Lord Howe Island, no food or animals to be taken onto the Island from the vessel.

To confirm the details of your intended arrival at Lord Howe Island ,and restrictions that currently apply, contact the Department of Home Affairs Coffs Harbour Office on +61 2 6656 8500.

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 14:02   #7

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1991 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am Planning a trip to get our Boat to Aus, which is currently in Opua NZ.
We are planning on Leaving NZ late April Early June, this trip will be my first Crossing or Blue water sailing as Such.

We plan to sail To Tonga first then off to Vanuatu, New Caledonia then Lord Howe for Christmas and Tasmania Mid Jan 2019.

Wondering if anyone has done a similar Route before ? what and where do I get my visas from ? weather wise it all looks like it should work out well apart from New Caledonia to Lord howe Island I can not seem to find anyone whom has done this before.

Any Help would be appreciated. Kind Regards Michael.
I have done that trip on 4 occasions always starting and ending in Tasmania. I have left Tas about Easter and back by Xmas. I have not found it too short a time and suggest as follows, broadly of course.

NZ (Opua) to Nukualofa 1 week (Go way out east almost to the Kermadecks in case of getting headed by a NE wind!)

Nukualofa is ordinary so go to Hap H'Apai and Neiafu. If time go to Niuatoputapu and also go anyway!

Fiji is worth visiting. Travel Niuatoputapu to Savu Savu.

I do not know Vanuatu having always passed through at south end but have stopped at Anatom.

NewCal is great. Get the Rocket Guides for Vanuatu and NewCal.

The sailing from tonga to NewCal will be down wing trade wind stuff. Fast but at times exciting!

My most recent trip, I went Noumea to Lord Howe to Eden to Hobart. I was concerned about the potential for bad weather for these legs but had a dream run. November/December.

My yacht is a Swanson 36. Almost all of the above was single handed.

PM me if you like.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, New Caledonia, sydney, Tonga, Vanuatu