Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39   #1

Boat: Jeanneau, 45DS
Majorca or East Coast of Spain ?

Fed up with the cold weather and attempting to get my family to love sailing as much as I do.. I want to move my 45' yacht to the Med next Easter. I love the idea of Majorca - but its obviously a bit pricier than Plymouth ! Someone mentioned Denia or Valencia - having more marina space than Majorca, at much less cost.

I'd welcome any comments about marina's in the med, sailing generally in the area - and best methods of transportation given I don't have unlimited time to sail it down there..

Thanks !

Simon
Simonradiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Majorca or East Coast of Spain ?

Hi Simon, Welcome to CF..
If you want cheap I'd recommend Almerimar near Almeria.. used to be difficult to get to with having to go inland but now they've built a coast road the airport at Almeria's only 40mins away..
Great Golf.. lively in the summer with bars and restaurants and lots of marina space.. one of the biggest marina's in Spain.. excellent services, chandler's/repairs, good security and in the winter you can drive up into the Sierra's and ski.. or stay on the coats and sunbathe.. a two day sail will get you to the Balearics... an overnight sail will take you to Melilla, Spains N Africa outpost and a nice w/end trip..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:24   #3
cruiser

Re: Majorca or East Coast of Spain ?

If you want warm weather during the winter, forget about the Balearics..... cold, windy and rainy. I'm from New England, and tried Menorca last winter.... yuchy winter, but excellent weather May-October. To get warm and reasonably priced marinas, you'll need to be in Southern Spain. Cartegena is excellent, Garuccha is very reasonable, Almerimar is the cheapest, and the Spanish port adjacent to Gibraltar is very nice and new, offering great prices. Gibraltar is also a good option, but don't neglect to try both marinas including Queens Quay.

I hear the Portugese Southern coast is also very nice. Mallorca is very expensive.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:37   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If you want warm weather during the winter, forget about the Balearics..... cold, windy and rainy. I'm from New England, and tried Menorca last winter.... yuchy winter, but excellent weather May-October. To get warm and reasonably priced marinas, you'll need to be in Southern Spain. Cartegena is excellent, Garuccha is very reasonable, Almerimar is the cheapest, and the Spanish port adjacent to Gibraltar is very nice and new, offering great prices. Gibraltar is also a good option, but don't neglect to try both marinas including Queens Kuay.
Portuguese algarve is even better in the winter. I've sat on beaches in February.

Ps nothing in Gib is nice now.

Dave
Old 09-12-2013, 07:43   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ps nothing in Gib is nice now.

Dave
You're right... It was cold there in August. Five kilometers away from Gibraltar was beautiful... and sunny.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonradiohead View Post
Fed up with the cold weather and attempting to get my family to love sailing as much as I do.. I want to move my 45' yacht to the Med next Easter. I love the idea of Majorca - but its obviously a bit pricier than Plymouth ! Someone mentioned Denia or Valencia - having more marina space than Majorca, at much less cost.

I'd welcome any comments about marina's in the med, sailing generally in the area - and best methods of transportation given I don't have unlimited time to sail it down there..

Thanks !

Simon
Has to be the Canaries for winter, my friend has already left Marbella for his annual sail to the Canaries and back to the med every May.
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:34   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Think he might have already left, his post was 6 years ago.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Think he might have already left, his post was 6 years ago.

Pete
I was asleep at the wheel!
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:48   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Don't worry, no one will notice

Actually I agree with your post, Spain can be cold and wet, but a weeks sailing south and the Canaries are just that bit warmer.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If you want warm weather during the winter, forget about the Balearics..... cold, windy and rainy. I'm from New England, and tried Menorca last winter.... yuchy winter, but excellent weather May-October. To get warm and reasonably priced marinas, you'll need to be in Southern Spain. Cartegena is excellent, Garuccha is very reasonable, Almerimar is the cheapest, and the Spanish port adjacent to Gibraltar is very nice and new, offering great prices. Gibraltar is also a good option, but don't neglect to try both marinas including Queens Quay.

I hear the Portugese Southern coast is also very nice. Mallorca is very expensive.
Menorca is blasted by the mistral in winter

Ibiza is shielded from the mistral...fantastic winter berth...old town ibiza

Ibiza is not possible in summer ...only winter

Cartegena is a very good port ..nice town. Its problen is transpotation links

Valencia is great

The problem with mainland spain is that there is no place to sail..the Balearic islands are a long way off

If you like italy you might try Olbia in Sardinia. Nice town, good transport links and great sailing
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:51   #11

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

Spain and the Med can be expensive. But then again I suppose the S Coast of the Uk is as well.
I left the UK about eight years ago in my 45ft boat and took two years to sail to Greece. We have cruised there ever-since and love it.
One of the main considerations are flights and their times and connections to and from airports. Not only for you, you will find when you sail in the sun you have lots of friends and relatives who would love to visit you!!��
On a slightly negative note I have a chart of Biscay, only used once and never again if you are interested ��⚓️
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, grass, Spain