Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 06:30   #61
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco
Re: Review of a Wharram Catamaran

BY the way,, I like em!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:06   #62

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

David, always liked the Wharram concept. You guys did well with the design and execution of this boat. It looks great. Keep up the good work..
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:54   #63

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
Most people are not ambivalent about Wharrams. You either like them or not. If you like them then there is a large range of their designs built by many different people with widely varying building abilities and vastly different budgets. Some are very rough and don't sail very fast or tack well or go to weather well. Others are different. JWD does favor low aspect small/moderate rigs. These are very relatively easy to handle and more forgiving.
Here is our most recent effort. The hardtop allows hull to hull access out of the rain. Eisenglass windsheilds block spray when it's honkin. The modern rig with high quality sails and carbon daggerboards make it go to weather quite well. It is very comfortable and tacks very well. At 6 knots the range is over 600 nm.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Very nice! If we were in the market for a new cat this is the way we would go.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 15:49   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Surely, you can stand to go more than 600 miles! Oh, perhaps you mean motoring?

Is that the Tiki 36? Any interior pics?
Old 11-01-2016, 15:56   #65

Boat: Traditional 30

[QUOTE=boatsmith;2012388]Most people are not ambivalent about Wharrams. You either like them or not. If you like them then there is a large range of their designs built by many different people with widely varying building abilities and vastly different budgets. Some are very rough and don't sail very fast or tack well or go to weather well. Others are different. JWD does favor low aspect small/moderate rigs. These are very relatively easy to handle and more forgiving.
Here is our most recent effort. The hardtop allows hull to hull access out of the rain. Eisenglass windsheilds block spray when it's honkin. The modern rig with high quality sails and carbon daggerboards make it go to weather quite well. It is very comfortable and tacks very well. At 6 knots the range is over 600 nm.
[IMG]

I watched the YT video series on the construction of that boat. I have to say I was somewhat envious of the new owners. I might have even turned green with envy for a while
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:25   #66

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
Most people are not ambivalent about Wharrams. You either like them or not. If you like them then there is a large range of their designs built by many different people with widely varying building abilities and vastly different budgets. Some are very rough and don't sail very fast or tack well or go to weather well. Others are different. JWD does favor low aspect small/moderate rigs. These are very relatively easy to handle and more forgiving.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I'll do the plug
Heres the links to the Videos..
https://www.youtube.com/user/boatsmthfl/videos
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 00:32   #67

Hi we lived aboard our Tiki 46 for 2 years in SE Asia. I had a hard bimini dodger that I never regretted but no doubt hurt going upwind. Very seaworthy and great value for money. Mine had 2X 25hp OBs but despite being on adjustable sleds the boat would hobbyhorse so bad into head seas they would cavitate badly. Not enough creature comfort for me and much happier on a 50'cat with 50% more performance (100% under power) 300% more comfort but at 600% of the cost!

Edit- and the Tiki tacked well too
Metalcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:46   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccara View Post
The downside to a Wharram is the one that jumps out at you the first time you look at her, There is no bridgedeck, You will get wet going from one hull to the other. So far living in the Marina during a quite cold winter here that has not been an issue, We have a simple Webasto 2kw heater in the starboard cabin that heats the whole area in minutes and we have used about 20L of fuel in 3 months. There's no reason a simple fuel heater couldn't do the same everywhere on the boat.
Responding to an old thread here I know. But I'm interested in the Wharrams and heating is a concern for me. Did you add any insulation? If so how?
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:32   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Responding to an old thread here I know. But I'm interested in the Wharrams and heating is a concern for me. Did you add any insulation? If so how?
Wood is actually a pretty decent insulator. You could glue foam sheets to the inside of the plywood but probably not necessary.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:54   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Wood is actually a pretty decent insulator. You could glue foam sheets to the inside of the plywood but probably not necessary.
Oh yes it is necessary. If I get a cat it will be going to some cold areas and I don't want condensation. ply is a poor insulator. It will need help, probably 50mm of closed cell foam on the sides and 74 on the deck.

Not to mention the value of insulation in the tropics where it makes for a much cooler interior during the heat of the day.

Just wondering if the people in NZ who used the webasto heater had added any and what exactly they did.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 04:13   #71

Boat: no boat any more

...as I wrote elsewhere: for the same outlay in money & labour one can do M U C H better than a Wharram!
(>4000h building a Tangaroa, 7 years rtw)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:17   #72

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38
Send a message via Skype™ to SV Luckyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernao View Post
Dear Forum:

I have looked at a Wharram Catamaran, namely the tiki 38, that I have thought about building and then living on it in retirement. This way I can do what really brings me inner peace, sailing, and live on the boat too.

I have looked at the wharram site and their builders as well. Has anyone in this forum sailed a Wharram Catamaran and if so, would you mind giving your opinion on the good things and the issues with them?

Many thanks!!

Fernao
Hi Fernao,

I've owned a Tiki 38 for 2 years and recently sailed her from Cape Town to the Eastern Caribbean. I like the Tiki's for their safety record, speed, ease of handling, great motion at sea from the V-hulls, huge deck, natural ventilation for the tropics where I intend to spend most of my time.

Wharram owners tend to share similar views on life, lifestyle, what cruising is really about, keeping it fun, simple, safe and cost efficient. It can be a philosophy as much as a boat and from your comments above you are probably looking at the right boat.

As you are building, Gleda's build blog is a great reference and Neil is really helpful and knowledgeable. For anyone considering buying, look for boats built to plan. Having said that, Luckyfish has a pod design that is modified from plan and a real improvement without damaging the boats beautiful lines.

I have written a fair bit on what we have learned about the boat on the website below and will be releasing more videos on YT this month from the Atlantic crossing and cruising the Windwards.

Good luck with your planning!

www.svluckyfish.com
SV Luckyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:33   #73

"...cost efficient..." NO selfbuilt boat, NONE!, is "cost efficient" compared to a second hand bought one! (& when the day comes & the Wharram has to be sold...good luck!)
Old 01-12-2016, 09:14   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
"...cost efficient..." NO selfbuilt boat, NONE!, is "cost efficient" compared to a second hand bought one! (& when the day comes & the Wharram has to be sold...good luck!)
I think you're comparing apples to oranges. When finished a self built boat is a new boat & it should be compared to new boats. No new boat is a good deal when compared to a used boat unless you account for depreciation. You pay less for a depreciated asset because it's worth less. Regarding the resale of a Wharram, as with any commodity, price is based on supply & demand. In my opinion theses are popular boats & there is a demand for them. Of course, as with any used boat, quality & condition are really the key factors.
Old 01-12-2016, 13:06   #75

99,9% of the Wharrams come nowhere near the quality of a yard-built boat (& if it is only because the builder had to cut corners on the equipment to keep costs getting out of hand. my Tangaroa, finished in 81 had cost me 50.000DM (which then was quite a bit of money for a boat built with xterior ply & fir lumber & "equipped" like I never saw a yard-built one) & ~4300 hours. don't misunderstand me: it was an adventure I' wouldn't want to miss for the life of me & the 7 year rtw even more so, particularly in view of our age (then). But I certainly wouldn't recommend a wharram to people of a more "mature" age, much less building one!

Tags
catamaran, wharram