Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 21:42   #1

Jib halyard hardware

Our 45ft Jeanneua Sunkiss manual calls for a S.S. Hank 5212 on the jib halyard. Can anyone tell me what part this is and how to get one? Thanks.
Menlim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 21:48   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: Jib halyard hardware

Disregard that nonsense. Use whatever shackle you like. The original equipment was a 5212 Hank instead of a shackle.
Old 11-11-2018, 15:14   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Menlim,

It is difficult for me to visualize a hank for a halyard shackle. Could you post a picture? Does it have a cute, modified W on it? if so, check Witchard.

However, if you are just looking for a way to attach a halyard to a sail, you can even tie it on, with a bowline knot, or a buntline hitch, just don't expect to be able to undo the latter. And, generally, you can use what you want, unless there is some sort of space issue with the top of your furler. We use a regular snap shackle for ours.

Ann
Old 11-11-2018, 18:55   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

Right now I use a regular old snap shackle spliced on the end of the halyard works a charm. Before I had a roller furler, I tied it on with a bowline, also worked a charm. There is no good reason to have to use original equipment in most of your rig, and for the running rigging I see no reason at all. Find a fitting you like and trust, or tie it on there with a good knot and go sailing.
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 06:10   #5

Shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't tangle with other internal halyards when you move it over. Dropping the main halyard down with a bicycle chain for weight and using a magnet to to pull it through the exit point might cure any tendency to wrap around other halyards.

Thanks all for the answers. Another question: We ho longer use the jib halyard in our mast (for the jib). Do you see any reason we shouldn't use the exit hole on the mast from the jib halyard for the main halyard instead? We want to bring the main halyard aft to the cockpit along the port side instead of the starboard side. Could things get "messy" in the mast by using the opposite exit hole?
Menlim3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, hardware, jib