Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2018, 09:17   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Re-bedding deck hardware

I will be returning to my Tashiba-31 soon and the first project on my list is to find and repair a leak on the port side. This appears to be in the area of the stanchion or fuel intake.

The stanchion has 4 bolts with the tops being countersunk Philips heads and the bottom secured with nuts.

I'm going to be working alone on this - any suggestions on how to remove these bolts when I can't be both on deck and below at the same time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stanchion.PNG
Views:	105
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	168273  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 09:46   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Re-bedding deck hardware

I can recommend how to remove, but to re-install you'll prolly need a helper.
Get a small vise grip, grip it to the nut below and turn/jam it against something that would stop it from further turning. Go back on deck and unscrew the bolt with a screw driver, carefully not to turn the wrong way and dislodge the vise-grip.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 09:52   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I can recommend how to remove, but to re-install you'll prolly need a helper.
Get a small vise grip, grip it to the nut below and turn/jam it against something that would stop it from further turning. Go back on deck and unscrew the bolt with a screw driver, carefully not to turn the wrong way and dislodge the vise-grip.
This is what I would do. That said, if this is an 80's era boat there is a chance the stanchions were bedded with 5200. In that case you can just get the nuts off from below with a ratchet, then get the bolts out from the deck with an impact driver.

Your fuel intake is probably through-bolted as well, if only to put a ground wire on it from below. I like through bolting deckfills, particularly fuel, where lateral pressure on it from the nozzle (and spilled fuel) can eventually break the bedding seal. FYI butyl rubber is not chemical resistant. Use a chemical resistant caulk for the fuel fill, like 4000.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 10:53   #4

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

There's plenty of ways to lock a spanner/socket onto something, tape, super glue, rubber bands, ... (in case you've got no vise grips handy). Something to lengthen it so it catches somewhere (winch handle, broom, boat hook, ...) and you're set.
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, deck, hardware