Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 00:44   #1

Selling in the BVI - Broker or no Broker

Hi All,

There is a lot of great information on here on what to look for when buying a boat and the pro/cons on using a buyers broker. However I haven't been able to find much specifically relating to the pros/cons on using a broker for selling your boat, particularly within the BVI's.

My partner and I will be purchasing a boat in the Caribbean (preference is BVI) and doing some crusing in the Caribbean. We would like to fully be aware of all our expenses which means factoring in costs associated with the sale of the boat.

Obviously using a selling broker incurs their commission fee which adds to the overall expense. Does anyone have any information on how difficult it is to sell a yacht (looking at 40 - 44 ft cat and 2008 or newer) in the Caribbean / BVI without using a broker? I.e. How long it may take, is it difficult to gain advertising exposure, paper work difficult to manage etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
H2Oaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:19   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Selling in the BVI - Broker or no Broker

Selling without a broker in the BVI will be difficult. I'd recommend factoring in the broker costs and have them take care of the whole sales process. A good broker will tell you a realistic asking/selling price for the boat, will take care of Yachtworld and other advertising, will perform showings and then coordinate an actual sale including all paperwork (de-registering, re-registering, bill of sale, escrow, etc.). I've used BVI Yacht Sales out of Nanny Cay to sell 3 boats so far and while it hurts to pay that percentage I doubt I could have sold my boats as quickly or seamlessly without a broker.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Selling in the BVI - Broker or no Broker

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, addict.

What Zanshin said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI