Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 22:13   #1

Boat: Any time now!
Siren 17 as First Sailboat?

As part of my long-medium term plan to be a cruiser (looking like long, because the house needs to sell for a good price for me to afford a boat) I will be buying a smaller (17-25 foot) keel boat as my first sailing boat to cruise around the Okanagan Lake. It is a few miles wide and about 100 miles long.

Anyways in looking for small keel boats and came across a Siren 17. This is smaller than I was looking at since I had planned on at least weekending in it, maybe week long cruises if the time allows. But, In reading what some people had to say on Sailnet (I couldn't find much here) I found the yahoo group, and people there talked about spending weeks and weeks at a time on them, as long as they could refill on the food stocks. They mentioned it was a lively performer and very comfortable for its size.

So here are my questions:

1. Would this be a suitable first boat to get my (very minor) cruising and sailing wings?

2. Is $2000 USD too much money for this boat (pics attached). It comes with trailer, probably original sails and rigging though he claims they are in good condition. Small 7.5HP Merc outboard as well.

Thanks for your help everyone, as always!
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:44   #2

Here is the spec sheet:

Old 11-03-2009, 22:24   #3

I had one of them and can attest to them being lively sailors. I really enjoyed the boat and would buy another one in a heartbeat. The cockpit seats are some of the most comfortable I have ever been on. The boat is light and has a centreboard so stability is not as great as the larger boats, but it's still safe.

The boat is a camper - not a cruiser. You will be able to do some weekending but don't expect much in the way of comfort at all. $2,000.00 for the Siren is a fair price. They hold their value.

There is another boat of similar size called the Sandpiper 565 that is designed for actual weekend cruising. It is also trailerable. Another one to consider would be the West Wight Potter 19. You may also be able to find a Catalina 22 in that price range.

Good Luck !
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:22   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Anathema, I owned a Siren in the 1970's and can say that they are a great beginner's boat. I should, however, correct one of your misconceptions: she is not a keel boat, but rather a centerboarder (and although the manufacturer, Vandestadt and McGruer, claimed that the cast iron board, if bolted in the down position, made her self-righting - at only 140 pounds I wouldn't want to test it).

They were well built, easy to rig and sail, had reasonable performance,a large and comfortable cockpit and four berths - although the quarter berths lack adequate headroom for an adult to even lay sideways. Indeed, the cabin itself lacks proper sitting headroom and the amenities are better suited for daysails: for example, the icebox provides space for a bag of cubes and about 6 beer, and the head is really only a molded in bucket with a hose attached to the deck for a pumpout.

The price seems reasonable and, so long as your expectations are not too high, she will be a great daysailor/occasional overnighter for you and your family. I would also commmend the Sandpiper 565, mentioned by Sailorman, as another option: designed in England, she has proper sitting headroom and slightly better performance.

Finally another couple of options to consider in Canadian-built boats, for only a little more money, would be the CS 22 and Tanzer 22. Equally well built, but with much more space and performance.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59   #5

Thanks for the info guys, always apreciate the help.

The reason I'm asking about the Siren is there is one for sale here in Kelowna. I went and took a look at it, and it looks pretty clean. I am no marine surveyor, but the systems seemed sound and the very little wood there was topside would look good with a quick varnish.

As mentioned it is definitely more of a weekender, although me and my GF have spent weeks at a time driving around the country and camping in a Boler

After weeks in a Boler with no washroom or shower, I am sure I could spend at least one week in the same conditions right on the lake in a Siren

I haven't bought it yet as the free money isn't really there yet. I have been pouring everything I have into debt as I can leave the country for warmer climes as soon as I pay it off. As for the other boats, I have looked a bit on Yachtworld, but in the area there is not a TON of boats. There is a Columbia 22 for sale which I have heard mixed things about and I met the owner who was not the nicest of guys to deal with. There is also a 26 foot dragon class sloop which looks like it would NOT be fun to cruise in, much more of a racer than a cruiser.

I will be keeping my eye open! Especially for a Sandpiper as I know there are some in the area but not for sale yet! As summer aproaches more boats will be up on the block.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:07   #6

A Chrysler 22 would meet your needs. I've owned one for the last year and a half and am very happy with it. Sleeps 5, including 2 on the convertible dining table, swing keel, usually comes with a trailer, 3000 lbs, self righting, about 5 foot headroom, some even come with a stove and sink. They have a great support team through current owners at, www.chryslersailors.com . They've been out of production since 1980, but you can find many very cheap through the chrysler site or by googleing the name.

The chrysler site has been down since yesterday (very unusual)

Steve
Old 12-06-2009, 16:01   #7

good choice

Hello,

I have had a siren 17 for several years now and can recommend them as a good place to start. They are very tender and I have had the rails under water a few times, but always felt safe as it will round up if overpowered (rather than turtle).

Mine is on Nicola Lake in the BC interior. The price seems pretty good, I paid $3000 for mine (also with trailer,kicker and sails).

-dan
bookem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
siren 17, trailer, trailersailor