Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 12:13   #1

Boat trailer on ferry? (Med-Canaries)

Has anyone used a car ferry to transfer a small (<25') boat? Many allow trailers but I've never seen a boat transported in the belly of a ferry...
Old 22-06-2017, 06:11   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
Re: Boat trailer on ferry? (Med-Canaries)

Err, ask the ferry company?

I used to drag a Soling round Europe, going on ferries where never a problem, they take truck and caravans don't they? It'll just cost a small fortune.
Old 22-06-2017, 06:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
Err, ask the ferry company?

I used to drag a Soling round Europe, going on ferries where never a problem, they take truck and caravans don't they? It'll just cost a small fortune.
I am not sure if the "Medium car+caravan" category would cover a 25" boat on the Armas website. If this one fits, 1000€ gets you from the mainland to Gran Canaria AND back. This is of course not cheap but put one week charter fee and a flight ticket to the other side of the equation. Or the supply/repair costs of a round-trip.
Old 22-06-2017, 06:43   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Regularly transported a 22ft rib across the English Channel by ferry and then driven onwards. Whilst the rib would have made the sea crossing, being on a trailer means I could then stravel a further 250 miles in a day to reach the destination.

Was once asked if there was any petrol on board the rib? replied that there was 30 gallons in the main tank but no loose tanks of fuel. Ferry Co seemed happy with that.

Also been stopped and asked if there were any flares on board, explained there was a complete flarebox strapped down. They eventually let me carry on with that but it could have gone the other way and I would have had to surrender the flares.

Only had one drama when I arrived at Zeebrugge on spec with no ticket. The office agreed to sell me a ticket providing that the boat and trailer was less than 3 meters. Keeping a straight face and with the boat in full view behind me I said yes it was (my excuse, it was late and I wanted to get home). I just squeezed on with enough room to close the doors.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 06:44   #5

It depends on the size of the ferry and the ferry company. The larger ferries in my area fit tractor trailers, cement mixers, boats in tow, etc. They have to get a reservation for a specific time and have to declare their total length and weight.

You would need to call.

EDIT: Apologies, I missed the (Med-Canaries) in the title. (details would be more clearly conveyed if included in the body of the post). FWIW
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 07:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It depends on the size of the ferry and the ferry company. The larger ferries in my area fit tractor trailers, cement mixers, boats in tow, etc. They have to get a reservation for a specific time and have to declare their total length and weight.

You would need to call.

EDIT: Apologies, I missed the (Med-Canaries) in the title. (details would be more clearly conveyed if included in the body of the post). FWIW
Size is not an issue with Armas. It was more of a general question, the canaries are the most interesting at the moment but other destinations are also possible in the future.

Tags
aries, boat, Canaries, Ferry, trailer