Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 22:53   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 44
Question Seeking Sailboat in South Texas

Hi everybody I have sold my 14 ft dinghy and am ready to graduate to a bigger boat. I am in Port Aransas TX. Looking for a 28-38 ft sloop in South Texas. I don't need perfect just sailable now. Prefer wheel steering. No plans to cross oceans or anything but would like a boat comfortable going out in the Gulf for a few days. 10-15k unless she is real special. Thanx in advance.
Old 10-06-2017, 00:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Seeking Sailboat in South Texas

Howdy!

My suggestions:

1. Search on Sailboatlistings.com. (A FSBO Site)

2. Look at Sailingtexas.com. (A FSBO Site)

3. Talk to local brokers. Here is one in Kemah Texas and he is a CFMember who provides good answers when asked about Boats:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-165594.html
Old 10-06-2017, 02:09   #3

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Sailboat Swap Shop in Facebook has lots of local boats for sale.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:41   #4

Thank you I am going to look at those sites right now. 😎 I having sailing withdrawals bad.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:25   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Come north 3 hours to Kemah. A lot more selection. All boats here including ours are on www.yachtworld.com.

And thanks to whomever plugged LYS!
Old 11-06-2017, 08:26   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Thanks for the praise!
Old 11-06-2017, 09:23   #7

Boat: Pearson 303

Try Josh at Little Yachts in Kemah, Tx. Good guy.

Little Yacht Sales – Home of Little Yacht Sales – Professional Yacht Brokers located in Kemah, Tx
Old 11-06-2017, 10:56   #8

Well Josh find me a boat I will come to Kemah, but getting a boat home form there is what I worry about,,,,, I only have experience with a 14 ft dinghy
Old 11-06-2017, 16:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMarie View Post
Hi everybody I have sold my 14 ft dinghy and am ready to graduate to a bigger boat. I am in Port Aransas TX. Looking for a 28-38 ft sloop in South Texas. I don't need perfect just sailable now. Prefer wheel steering. No plans to cross oceans or anything but would like a boat comfortable going out in the Gulf for a few days. 10-15k unless she is real special. Thanx in advance.
look on internet for endeavor 32, Hi I'm mac, just out of hospital with
kidney removal, and I'm 78 wife wants to sail boat. if you pull it up and
like it, and i know you will. email me at mac.mckim@gmail.come. I'm
sending you what I have added just awhile ago as I sailing back to belize.

added

bow spriit with anchor roller and a CQR and a bruce with line and chain.
all most new roller genny with new sheets
two new cleats
boat hook many fenders cockpit cushion
good main with cover and reef lines
GARMIN CHART PLOTTER WITH BLUE CHART TO PANAMA
RAYMARINE Auto pilot
cockpit table
bimani and sun cover
anchor holder with two danforths anchors with rood
two solar panels
one windbugger wind generator.
one BBQ cooker
stern ladder
one dingy and a 4 stoke honda outboard.
and more stuff ? ?

inside
all cushens
refrigerator
TV/DVD
head with new tolite but hot and cold shower
microwave
COLD AC YES
New battery charge
new inverter
4 marine batteries
tools and more tools
much more and all works….it needs painting and some TLC

rigged for single handing…..my low is 15k your high is 15k
better hurry as you are the first to know as i just made up to sell
you will love this boat. and ill help you take it home and show
you all the tricks while i cry…

capt mac
Old 12-06-2017, 05:59   #10

Quote:
ENDEAVOUR 32 "WE TWO". loaded with GPS, AUTO PILOT, DINGY HONDA OUTBOARD AC, I COULD GO ON. RIGGED for single handed w solar panels
And much more. Just out of hospital wife sale....in clear lake next to NASA.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:21   #11

ENDEAVOUR 32. "WE TWO". I just had kidney removed and wife said sale. I have been rigging her for single handing and MY comfort, I'm 78. So this is
Perfect for you as hard work is done, just needs hull painted. I've added lots off new gear. 5 anchors, charlplotter, depth, autopilot, solar panals, wind gen,cockpit grill, table, cushions, shower. AC, MICRO, TV, REFRIGERATOR
INVERTOR ETC. She and I are in clear lake next to NASA. COME SEA
CAPT MAC
Old 12-06-2017, 10:06   #12

Quote:
Well Josh find me a boat I will come to Kemah, but getting a boat home form there is what I worry about,,,,, I only have experience with a 14 ft dinghy
See http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tx-166914.html

Main issue with sailing the Gulf at night are the abandoned, unlit structures. I wouldn't recommend night sailing without a minimum of four crew (one on watch and one on helm for two hour shifts, one hour each position). What we do is find a lit structure or boat (doesn't matter if it's moving) and keep the light in sight for the helmsman. Jump your course from one light to the next.
Even on full moon nights, this seems to work well. You may come close to an unlit structure (closest we've come is ~100 yds which is *close*), but should be able to stay safe.
Old 13-06-2017, 17:04   #13

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
Main issue with sailing the Gulf at night are the abandoned, unlit structures. I wouldn't recommend night sailing without a minimum of four crew (one on watch and one on helm for two hour shifts, one hour each position). What we do is find a lit structure or boat (doesn't matter if it's moving) and keep the light in sight for the helmsman. Jump your course from one light to the next.
Even on full moon nights, this seems to work well. You may come close to an unlit structure (closest we've come is ~100 yds which is *close*), but should be able to stay safe.
I don't agree with this. You can probably find obstacles anywhere in the Gulf. Louisiana has far more platforms than Texas. My wife and I have made the offshore run from Galveston Bay to Port Aransas (including Port O Conner and Freeport). Have also done six Harvest Moon regattas (Galveston to Port A). There are occasionally unlit platforms in shallow water. Sometimes even shrimpers. BUt no reason to stay in the ICW, or just be a Galveston bay sailor.

THat said, Port Aransas is an excellent place to sail. ANd I am familiar with Kemah, having a boat there for 20+ years and sailing in Galveston Bay, before moving permanently to Port Aransas. One area has brown water (Galv), the other green (Port A). We sail in Corpus bay, Nueces bay, offshore, Lydia Ann (prettiest area on Texas coast) channel. Of course you have to deal with the beach and associated crowds, and all of the people that will want to come visit and stay with you because of it! Kemah does have more medical facilities, if you spend a lot of time with doctors!

There is a broker in Island Moorings, as he lives on his catamaran. I've met him at the marina. Nice guy. Seems pretty straight-up to deal with. You might try him: Fox Yacht Sales-Four Gulf Coast Locations (Port Aransas, TX) And of course, you can buy your boat anywhere. But you won't be disappointed with docking it in Port Aransas. One thing though, Island Moorings marina just changed ownership and no more liveaboards allowed after their current lease runs out. Port Aransas Municipal Marina doesn't allow liveaboards, although I think some fly under the radar! Corpus Christi muni marina allows liveaboards, I think. And I think a couple of the marinas in adjacent Rockport. I live in a house, with a boat in the backyard.
Old 13-06-2017, 17:55   #14
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Wow. Surprised by Island Moorings no longer allowing liveaboards. Any particular reason that you know about? Sorry for the thread drift. Best wishes to the OP finding his boat.

Ralph
Old 13-06-2017, 19:23   #15

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Wow. Surprised by Island Moorings no longer allowing liveaboards. Any particular reason that you know about? Sorry for the thread drift. Best wishes to the OP finding his boat.

Ralph
Nope. But he's pissed off a bunch of liveaboards. I suspect it is because some of the boats are not kept up, and rather than actually enforce the rules on maintaining seaworthy and appearence, they will just shortcut and get rid of all liveaboards. THey reportedly have plans to completely redo all of the docks, which is sorely needed as the owners over the years have not maintained. Walk around and you will see dock cleats that have pulled out, cracked concrete - its a good thing there has not been a major storm here. As an adjacent homeowner, I am happy someone is going to spend the money to fix things. I do feel sorry for the liveaboards being kicked out, many of which were friendships from the time we kept our boat there before doing dock work at the house.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, texas