Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 11:20   #1

Boat: 2011 Leopard 44
Mooring catamaran

Anyone have tips re. Tying off to a mooring ball on my Leopard 44. If there is no wind than there is no problem, but if there is wind during the night the bow swings cause the two ropes, running from both bow hull cleats to slip and squeak. Very noisy for those sleeping in the bow births. Thoughts?
NextChapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:30   #2

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48
Re: Mooring catamaran

Bridle ?
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:53   #3

+1 try hooking on with the bridle. Does that creak in the night while on anchor?
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:56   #4

Yes I use a bridle. It is the attachment of both ends of the bridal that Inam referring to.
Old 09-06-2017, 16:42   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450

It sounds like your bridle lines run over your deck a short distance and when in waves they will stretch and squeak against the deck. Try putting a hose around the lines where they make contact with the deck.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 16:48   #6

I see now.... sorry bit slow on uptake. Yes I see you are suggesting the actual anchor bridal vs one I was making up with ropes.... So do yo just place the hook of the anchor bridal through the eye of the mooring bouy and hook it back into the chain?
Old 13-06-2017, 03:30   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Don't use the Anchor bridle. You can I guess, but its not the recommended way to do it, and its a right pain in the neck to get it on the buoy anyway. (yes, i've tried before .

This may be a silly question, but are you

A: running rope from the Port cleat, through the Buoy, and over to the Stbd cleat. This will have things slide around, and probably make noise and cause other issues. (I've seen it done, so have to ask, sorry).

OR,

B: One rope from port cleat, to Bouy-ring, and back to Port cleat, Then another from Stbd cleat, to Buoy-ring, then back to Stbd cleat ?

Option B is the correct way to bridle a cat off a mooring Buoy and shouldn't make any noise, but I ask as I've seen people do it via A:.

Other problems.

1. Its rubbing somewhere against the hull and you need to put something between the line and the hull.

2. Bridle is wrong length, most likely too long, causing the buoy to be able to reach one of the hulls, lines go slack, and things banging...

Post here on Bridal length. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hod-19716.html

Short version. Each 'arm' shorter than your beam, and potentially aim for an isosceles triangle.

Regards

Mark
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, mooring