Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2017, 17:24   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 409
Best time/place to sell a boat on the east coast USA

I am kicking around the idea of selling my boat and upgrading to something bigger.

Any idea where on the east coast is best to keep the boat for potential buyers and is this a bad time of year (hurricane season) to sell?
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 04:23   #2

Re: Best time/place to sell a boat on the east coast USA

Nobody?...
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
Old 21-05-2017, 04:58   #3

Best time/place to sell a boat on the east coast USA

I would think the northeast is probably the best locale, for this time of year. but really depends on how much it is worth. If it is say 30,000 or above asking. Almost anywhere will do with the available online selling options.

If the value is low, maybe bringing it to a hotter market will help.

I am thinking the Annapolis area for may/June? If it doesn't sell maybe bring it down to Florida in fall. Are you a live aboard? Do you have a home port? Why not try there and not deal with the hassle of moving it long distance?

Edit: I see your model of boat now. Might be worth moving it to a hotter market.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 05:16   #4

Boat: Cal 33-2

This is the time to get in on the market. For us here in the Northeast, once the summer is well along, sales interest will dry up as new owners would only get limited use of the boat before facing the costs of winter storage. Why not just get it listed now and see what happens.

Since you have an almost new boat now, I assume you are looking at new boats. Why not just trade it in?
Old 21-05-2017, 05:25   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Spring is the best time because that's when people buy boats. Annapolis would be a great place to keep the boat. A lot of brokers, a lot of buyers, a lot of activity.

For your boat I would list it with Annapolis Yacht Sales. They are a Beneteau/Jeanneau dealer and broker a lot of those boats and have a good track record of moving them. I'd specifically call Keith Mayes. Super nice guy, extremely knowledgeable, and very successful.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 05:32   #6

Boat: Passport 40

I second the Keith Mayes reco. Great guy, excellent broker, fantastic human being.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 05:53   #7

Interesting...

I am surprised you guys suggest I go all the way up to the Chesapeake.

I thought Florida was the best place to sell a boat.
Old 21-05-2017, 05:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post

I am thinking the Annapolis area for may/June? If it doesn't sell maybe bring it down to Florida in fall. Are you a live aboard? Do you have a home port? Why not try there and not deal with the hassle of moving it long distance?

Edit: I see your model of boat now. Might be worth moving it to a hotter market.
I am a liveaboard, home port is Canada but there is no market there for this boat.
Old 21-05-2017, 06:18   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I recently sold my boat after listing it on the Cruisers Forum; Boat Trader, Craigslist; Sailboat Listings; Sailnet and Boat US. With a competitive price, I was receiving about two or three serious inquiries a week.
Old 21-05-2017, 06:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
For your boat I would list it with Annapolis Yacht Sales. They are a Beneteau/Jeanneau dealer and broker a lot of those boats and have a good track record of moving them. I'd specifically call Keith Mayes. Super nice guy, extremely knowledgeable, and very successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
I second the Keith Mayes reco. Great guy, excellent broker, fantastic human being.
I sent him an email. Thanks for the referrals.
Old 21-05-2017, 06:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I recently sold my boat after listing it on the Cruisers Forum; Boat Trader, Craigslist; Sailboat Listings; Sailnet and Boat US. With a competitive price, I was receiving about two or three serious inquiries a week.
I love the idea of saving the brokerage fees but if a broker can get more money for the boat than I can, he pays for himself...
Old 21-05-2017, 06:32   #12

Quote:
I am curious... Where did the actual buyer find your listing?
Old 21-05-2017, 13:03   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
I am curious... Where did the actual buyer find your listing?
Good question,- I never asked, but I've been meeting with them daily reviewing the boat systems and maintenance. I'll ask tomorrow and report back.

BTW, my listings for my boat were not confined to a single geographical area except the Craigslist posting. I'm selling my boat, presently in Florida, to a man form North Carolina, but I had inquiries from as far as the US West Coast and the Great Lakes. My boat was on the market for a little over three months.
Old 21-05-2017, 14:06   #14

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
I've been meeting with them daily reviewing the boat systems and maintenance.
That's WHY he bought the boat- for your intimate knowledge. I'll bet he's a pretty savvy buyer.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 14:38   #15

Sure would be nice to get listed on Yacht World.

Too bad only brokers can list a boat there...

Tags
boat, east coast