Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 10:53   #1

Boat: Cal 34-III
Im wanting an older trailerable HT cabin cruiser... suggestions?

we are looking for an older (affordable) cabin cruiser (powerboat).. after about 3 months of searching the internet, the only boats that come close to what we want is a Bayliner 2670 Explorer, or the Bayliner 2452 Classic. the hard top is what tips the scales our way.

the 2670 is a semi displacement cruiser style boat and the 2452 is in my opinion, a fishing boat that has the amenities to be a weekender. an enclosed bulkhead would make it a much better mini cruiser.

I prefer the 28ft versions of either boat, but they are a PIA to trailer as much as we do and as far as we go.

I would like to see other options for 24 to 26ft boats that has very little cockpit space, but a large cabin space, with the helm inside, or an alaskan bulkhead to enclose it all.
I also like the idea of an aft cabin or "mid" cabin as I would call it, but this isnt a necessary thing.

my perfect boat would have the living space below, with a mid berth, but with the galley up at deck level enclosed with the helm opposite.

im not hung up on a brand name, so does anyone know of any other brand of affordable (25,000 or less) boat that may qualify to fit my desires??

the different brand of tugs qualify, but they arent affordable.

the minimum requirements of what we need are...
trailerable..
a hard top over the helm..
a berth large enough that a couple can comfortably sleep in..
a head..
a galley..
and preferably the helm enclosed with a bulkhead.
......suggestions for boat models to look at? Thanks
Old 11-04-2017, 11:05   #2

Re: Im wanting an older trailerable HT cabin cruiser... suggestions?

My uncle has owned both the 2452 and the 2852 bay liner classics. The 2452 is a good boat for its design and the cruised a lot in it. Multiple trips from north fla, down to the keys. I liked it a lot.

Hard to get really what you want and be "easy" to trailer. In my opinion any cabin cruiser is going to be not so fun to trailer. I know as I trailer mine all over.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:05   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

I dunno lengths, prices, or performance characteristics, but other possible names could be C-Dory, Rosborough, Ranger Tugs, Nimble...

-Chris
Old 11-04-2017, 11:18   #4

I would have suggested those. But normally high dollar boats.

Would check all of your boxes would be a cutwater.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 17:26   #5

I have a 22' pocket cruiser with a 90hp Etec 2014 low hour outboard, small cockpit, over 6' headroom enclosed cabin, vberth, etc, no trailer. Pm me for pics and more details. Similar to cdory, at half the price.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 17:37   #6

Look into GlasPly boat's. Out of production for many years, these PNW built boat's are extremely strong and seaworthy. There is a strong following on www.glasply.net. We have over 400 of these old boats on our Forum. Website has much information on nearly all of the models produced plus some scanned brochures.
If you are interested in a particular GP hull, look for one post 1980 when they used FRP stringers.
I had a 24' 2500 Long Cabin model which was on a tandem trailer and I pulled with a Chev van. Now have a 1982 28' Long Cabin GlasPly which I do plan to tow some day. Several buddies in Wash. and OR have their 28's on triple axle trailers. Most weigh in over 12,000 lbs.
Good luck in your search.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 18:41   #7

thanks for the replies... their are a few glasply 28LC's on the market, and it looks like a great boat for its size. and even though it can be trailered, it isnt really a boat that I would want to pull around the country...
we live in salem oregon and like to go north to the san juan islands, south to lake powell, and east to pend oreille in idaho... the 28 would be great after it was in the water, but not so nice getting it there.

the bayliner 2670 seems to be a rare boat on the market, but the 2870 is more common.
I may have to look a bit more serious at the 2452.

all the tugs, even at used boat prices, are out of a normal working mans price range.. the used rosborough 246"s are slightly better priced and they are an extremely well constructed boat with everything necessary, but is a bit plain for its price... but I could get over that if only I could afford one
Old 11-04-2017, 22:27   #8

I understand that you are looking for the hard top on a budget, but do take a look at the C-Dory boats. Trailerable and everything you need is inside the cabin. A site that is very active and well managed, to learn about these boats is c-brats dot com.
Best regards
Steve Baum
srbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:38   #9

Boat: American Boat Works 43

The Albin 25 fits all of your requirements. Here is a great thread from that other forum about it:
Advice on 76 Albin 25 - Trawler Forum

I really understand and appreciate what you are searching for: a trailerable camper-boat, and how hard it is to find one in your price range. It feels like this sometimes:

Regarding the Bayliners: here in Floriduh, I would never own an outdrive again, but I understand the rubber boots don't deteriorate as quickly up there in the PNW.

Albin 25's turn up on Boat Trader, Craigslist, and even Yachtworld all the time. Let us know which boat ends up on your trailer hitch.
Miz Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:12   #10

ImRick live in Bend, I have 19 ft. 1975 Glassply I just decided to sell last week its got the 250 GM inline 6cylinder motor runs excellent, E-Z load trailer new wheels and tires new battery, very E-Z to load and unload boat, had the carrier bearing on the outdrive replaced last year its an excellent boat has four rod holders, fish finder motor mount for trolling motor its a hard top with canopy blower fan bilge pump windshield wiper compass with light v-berth no galley as far as a head it came with a 5 gallon bucket with seat and special bags just for that, all the lakes I've been to have floating out house's, Im selling it cause I want to get a Catalina 30' sail boat, anyway if your interested send me a text at 541 280 3273 and I'll send you some picture's thanks Rick
rickmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcdonald View Post
ImRick live in Bend, I have 19 ft. 1975 Glassply I just decided to sell last week its got the 250 GM inline 6cylinder motor runs excellent, E-Z load trailer new wheels and tires new battery, very E-Z to load and unload boat, had the carrier bearing on the outdrive replaced last year its an excellent boat has four rod holders, fish finder motor mount for trolling motor its a hard top with canopy blower fan bilge pump windshield wiper compass with light v-berth no galley as far as a head it came with a 5 gallon bucket with seat and special bags just for that, all the lakes I've been to have floating out house's, Im selling it cause I want to get a Catalina 30' sail boat, anyway if your interested send me a text at 541 280 3273 and I'll send you some picture's thanks Rick
Hi Rick... thanks for the offer but a 19fter is too small for us... but I do have a Cal 34-III sailboat that I'm selling. I havent advertised it yet but its a very nice clean boat, excellent mahogany interior, modern upholstery, solar array, TV, wallas diesel heater, westerbeke 30 engine, 2 sets of sails and strongly rigged (upgraded) for bluewater passages...it is a full package and priced to sell at $23,000.... or part trade trade for a power boat of the type I want. thanks
Old 12-04-2017, 19:57   #12

after looking at all the suggestions, the bayliner 2452 or 2556 are the only 2 boats that have the amenities, space and still can be purchased for a reasonable price.... because there are so many of them around.
the albin 25 is a well finished boat with lots of mahogany in the cabin, but its too heavy when there are so many lighter boats with the same or better interior space.
Old 25-04-2017, 18:50   #13

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I had a Bayliner 1998 2355 and loved it. It has a 3ft high aft cabin. I did replace the fuel tank when it leaked. Check out my You Tube video - search 2355 fuel tank.

It was easy to trailer. I pulled it with my 2000 Durango.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 22:10   #14

Hey rick from bend with the 19' glassily, i was telling you about the catalina30 i was looking at, those cal 34's are nice, i just have to ask if its in salem is it on a trailer ?
rickmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 08:27   #15

Boat: Islander 32

Centerline, one other thing to consider is a flybridge/command bridge. This option gives you a little more usable space. Bayliner makes a 2455(?) Cierra with a command bridge, check craigslist WA-OR. Usually in the 10 to 15K range.

Tags
cabin, cruise, cruiser, trailer