Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 09:47   #1

Trailer question...cradle or jackstands

I going to be taking my 23' cold molded boat across country ..having a trailer built...would a cradle be better than jack stands as far as support goes...the plan would be to have jack stands on the bulkheads...
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 09:57   #2

Re: Trailer question...cradle or jackstands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilletts View Post
I going to be taking my 23' cold molded boat across country ..having a trailer built...would a cradle be better than jack stands as far as support goes...the plan would be to have jack stands on the bulkheads...
Just thinking out loud - cradles are designed mainly for stationary storage or for short low-speed jaunts across the yard, so the basic cradle might not offer enough support for a long haul?

If you're going to do some significant trailering in the future... get one with enough fixed supports for travelling.

If you're going to need a cradle for dryland storage anyway, maybe the answer is to get a cradle made, then augment it with some jackstands for the trip.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 16:39   #3
TWB

Boat: 2018 Dufour 460 Grand Large
Re: Trailer question...cradle or jackstands

My previous boat was a Catalina 30 with a wing keel. I had it moved a couple of hundred miles on a tractor trailer. We used the cradle. I liked that better since I knew it would hold together if we hit a rough patch of road and the driver (who had jack stands) liked it better. I would make the the same choice again.

A purpose built trailer should have welded in stands which would be tied together much like a cradle.
TWB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cradle, trailer