Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 13:05   #1

Basic questions re: Off Season Storage in the Caribbean

I live in California and my current plan is to purchase a boat when I retire and base it in the Caribbean. At least for the first year or two, I'd expect to be a "commuter cruiser", namely sailing during the season then storing the boat during the off season. I've spent a lot of time researching boats but I just realized I haven't really figured out all the issues of leaving a boat in storage 3000 miles away from my home. So a few basic questions for you east coasters who have experience with this.

1. Where do you store your boat? Is there a resource anywhere listing best places? Which is best, in the U.s. or country in the Caribe? Do you have a yearly contract with the same marina? Or do you find a different location every year?
2. Stored in a marina "in the water" or on the hard? Pro vs Con of each?
3. What are the costs?
4. Checklists for commissioning and De-commissioning the boat before and after the season?
5. Security. Locking up the boat? What personal gear ok to leave, and what needs to come off? Do you get storage ashore?
6. Caretaker? Do you need one? Cost?
7. What are the geographic boundaries of "the box"?

Finally, any other gotchas I've missed? Any places to stay away from? Also do you have a favorite spot you've kept your boat in for years? Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments.

-Jim
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 13:29   #2

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Re: Basic questions re: Off Season Storage in the Caribbean

I can offer a lot of information on St. Kitts, where the boats are stored in a hole in the ground (except cats). I wouldn't leave any boat in the water in the Caribbean, especially if you intend to leave island.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 13:45   #3

Re: Basic questions re: Off Season Storage in the Caribbean

The list of options is so long it is hard to answer your question..prices very like crazy. Pick a general area in the Caribbean and I'm sure you will get your information. Costs are generally lower in the Western Caribbean.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, storage