Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 13:23   #1

Anyone here based in Puerto Rico?

One of the considerations of a place to base out of is Puerto Rico.

I'm a US Citizen, so this becomes a factor in choice.
South coast looks like it has some rather nice sailing and East Coast leads right into the US Virgins.

I'd need a slip to base out of and probably a storage facility to hold tools and other basics when not there.
Intention is to use this as the winter get-away and be there Sept-March.

I'd have to have good internet/cell service so I can still conduct business.
Consider me semi-retired...

Anyone there that can enlighten me on the area?
Olddawgsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 13:40   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: Anyone here based in Puerto Rico?

Follow

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 14:08   #3

Hi! I have been down here for about a year and a half. I live in Dorado ( north coast) but keep my center console in Fajardo and do most of my boating there (east coast). If anyone needs info please stop in touch. More than happy to help out.

PR is a love it or hate it kind of place. There are some setbacks (anything dealing with Govt is horribly inefficient) but overall I love the island. Some great deals to be had in real estate currently due to the economy here.

Michael.v.farrell at gmail
coastie743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 14:18   #4

Personally I would recommend Fajardo for what you are talking about. The east coast is beautiful, easy access to USVI, and Culebra and Vieques are easy short runs. Two good marinas in the area I would take a look at. Puerto del rey is the newest. Very large and has great amenities. Second is Puerto Chico a little older but new management is putting a lot of money into the marina. Both are secure facilities. As far as a storage unit I'll take a look in the area next time I'm out that way. I fly back to the states for the holidays this week. Also cell service from the states works fine here with most carriers. We have At&T and have great service. Internet is easy to get here as well or depending on needs can do mobile service through a cell provider
Old 11-12-2016, 17:40   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I'll be following this thread also as I'm interested in locating to PR for at least one year, maybe two. I got a price from Palmas del Mar and it was very good, especially for a one year contract. The East side is very convenient to a lot of cruising ground.
Old 11-12-2016, 17:54   #6

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We keep our boat on St. Thomas and enjoy spending time in PR, Culebra and Vieques. For communication, AT&T wireless works everywhere we have been around PR/Culebra/Vieques as well as the USVI. Its a great cruising ground when you include St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix. St. Martin and Anguilla are not too far.

We've stayed at Puerto Del Rey as transients and it was a huuuuuge marina, but a decent place to stay. Having access to the big box stores and West Marine around Fajardo is great and the prices and convenience are better than the USVI, even with the sales tax. St. Martin has cheaper boat part and its worth a trip if you're picking up a new RIB dinghy. St. Martin is an overnight sale from St. John.

We spend a lot of time in the BVIs and St. Martin/Anguilla as well. The PR people are the friendliest and happiest.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 18:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I'll be following this thread also as I'm interested in locating to PR for at least one year, maybe two. I got a price from Palmas del Mar and it was very good, especially for a one year contract. The East side is very convenient to a lot of cruising ground.

Palmas is a nice neighborhood. Almost like a town! I've heard their rates are good but for me it's not as convienient as Fajardo. But I run a small center console too.

I recently moved from Puerto Del Rey to Puerto Chico as PDR was just too large for me. But a big plus for you guys is that they have the ability to haul vessels and have a large area for putting your vessel on the hard for the off season, work, or storms
Old 11-12-2016, 18:36   #8
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie743 View Post
Palmas is a nice neighborhood. Almost like a town! I've heard their rates are good but for me it's not as convienient as Fajardo. But I run a small center console too.

I recently moved from Puerto Del Rey to Puerto Chico as PDR was just too large for me. But a big plus for you guys is that they have the ability to haul vessels and have a large area for putting your vessel on the hard for the off season, work, or storms
I asked about how hurricanes affect the marina when getting the price (which again was REALLY reasonable). No direct hits yet but their sea wall is super huge. What do you think?
Old 11-12-2016, 18:49   #9

It's very protected like you said. But with any marina and a fairly direct hit the surge alone will cause major damage.
Old 11-12-2016, 19:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Also following. Just sent a request for quote to Puerto Del Rey.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:15   #11

Puerto Chico is worth looking at as well. They are in the process now of adding a new electronic access system and a new marina store.. And there is another called Sun Bay but not sure of the pricing. It's a fairly new facility. Puerto Del Rey is the largest marina in the Caribbean. But they have car rentals, a dive shop, parts store, service, a deli / marina store, restaurant all on site. It's a nice facility but more expensive than the others around it I believe.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:56   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

I am at Puerto Del Ray and it's an OK marina. Be aware that what they advertise on the web site is a lot more then what they deliver. Examples are internet. Yes they have it but it rarely works and it never works on the boat. Bathrooms and showers at main pier dock 10. I have been here over a year and they have never been open. They are FINALLY in the process of tearing them down to rebuild but the timeframe is still a year away and we all know dates seem to always move out. And it's a very long walk to the bathrooms at 3:00 AM. Golf cart shuttles, yes they have them but it's sometimes a challenge to get them. Fuel is expensive, deli is expensive, and raceways are narrow. Slips are narrow and so what you are supposed to fit in for a slip you can, but they will put a large beam power boat in the next slip that encroaches into your slip so you have to have crew flipping fenders to get in and out. And so far every service provider takes 3 times as long to complete work as they claim it will take. But that seems to be the same as most places.

So yes it's a great location, I will remain for this season, but double check everything they advertise as reality is a lot less. Sunbay is also a good location but not as protected as PDR.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:11   #13

L2ride I completely agree. I had my boat on trailer storage there and finally gave up and moved to dry stack in Puerto Chico. PDR is so big you literally feel like a number and it is so packed sometimes that you get lost in the shuffle. Puerto Chicos facilities aren't as nice but they are working on that, service is a lot better
Old 12-12-2016, 04:34   #14

Look at all this info to go through! Thank you folks!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:55   #15

I found this while surfing the net.
Geowake | Map

You folks probably already know of it..

Tags
Puerto Rico