Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2014, 07:45   #1

Miami to Dominican Republic

Planned departure date is end of February 2015, depending on weather, taking between 10 to 15 days from Miami, FL to to the bay of Luperon (Puerto Plata) in the Dominican Republic, using the delivery route going East to 70 degrees Longitude, and down South. No experience is required, but it helps if you're not prone to sea-sickness. A contribution of USD 600 for provisions and overhead cost is required.

The boat is a sturdy and seaworthy 36 foot fiberglass sloop, well maintained, having recently completed the passage from Hispaniola via Cuba and the old Bahama Channel.

At the moment the yacht is in Miami being prepared and readied or said passage.

If this sounds appealing, drop me a line, and lets talk.
Old 20-12-2014, 09:31   #2

Re: Miami to Dominican Republic

Taking the delivery route and asking 600 USD for provisions and overhead costs? Mind if I ask what the "overhead costs" are exactly? Sounds like you are doing a delivery and want others to pay. Which is fine, but if it's my money then only fair I know what it is going to pay for. I take it you are not providing return transportation?

I am actually interested, but notice you have few postings here on the forum so I don't know anything about you except that you posted once asking what the purpose of a very basic rigging component was which gives me some trepidation.
Old 20-12-2014, 10:29   #3

Boat: Westerly Ocean 49
Send a message via Skype™ to Jetstream123

Relax Delancy, we're all sailors here looking to match our needs with boat owners needs not to grill someone that posts an delivery opportunity. Be polite with your questions it will work better for all. Fair winds.
Old 20-12-2014, 13:46   #4

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream123 View Post
Relax Delancy, we're all sailors here looking to match our needs with boat owners needs not to grill someone that posts an delivery opportunity. Be polite with your questions it will work better for all. Fair winds.
Jetstream , Delancy is doing as all a good service as there are many inexperienced sailors here who may blunder in to situations beyond there level off knowledge . so I thank Delancy for his observations .
Old 21-12-2014, 08:59   #5

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVYJimmy View Post
Jetstream , Delancy is doing as all a good service as there are many inexperienced sailors here who may blunder in to situations beyond there level off knowledge . so I thank Delancy for his observations .
I totally agree with you. The OP's offer is not the norm. I don't want to have newbies suck into this. If this is a pleasure cruise and offers sailing training by a qualified captain in a documented vessel, and operating as a business for profits, I guess it would be OK.

May be there are more details that we don't know. Crewing for delivery is hard work, 24/7. The owner or captain should pay the crew.
Old 21-12-2014, 09:03   #6

I think Delancy is right. I'm interested in this opportunity to sail with my fiancé but we're aware of all the scams out there. Transparency is encouraged for us honest, inexperienced aspiring sailors. I think HVYJimmy hit the nail on the head.
Old 21-12-2014, 09:15   #7

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalThinking View Post
I think Delancy is right. I'm interested in this opportunity to sail with my fiancé but we're aware of all the scams out there. Transparency is encouraged for us honest, inexperienced aspiring sailors. I think HVYJimmy hit the nail on the head.
I don't believe the OP is pulling a scam at all for your money. But his offer is not a fair deal at all. It may be a telltale sign that newbies need to consider before jumping in.

The devil is in the details, buyer beware!

Old 21-12-2014, 09:26   #8

Boat: L400 S2 Hull# 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I don't believe the OP is pulling a scam at all for your money. But his offer is not a fair deal at all. It may be a telltale sign that newbies need to consider before jumping in.

The devil is in the details, buyer beware!
What is a fair deal then.... $600 for a 2 week vacation????
Old 21-12-2014, 09:58   #9

Hey, I just asked a question, what's my money going for? Champagne and lobster? A masseuse? To pay your debt to the boatyard so you can finally get out of town? What? What are "overhead costs"?

If it's my money I feel like I deserve to know. Personally, if I wanted reliable crew for a delivery I would expect to pay expenses and transport. Some try to get it for free, that's fine by me.

In my experience deliveries are work and while they can be fun, few would consider them a vacation. If so, there would be business making money off them by having customers who pay to go on them. The reality is the only businesses out there making money off of deliveries are the ones that get paid to do them.

I noticed the OP has logged on since first posting but doesn't care to respond. End of story.
Old 21-12-2014, 10:06   #10

Boat: L400 S2 Hull# 426
Wink Re: Miami to Dominican Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Hey, I just asked a question, what's my money going for? Champagne and lobster? A masseuse? To pay your debt to the boatyard so you can finally get out of town? What? What are "overhead costs"?

If it's my money I feel like I deserve to know. Personally, if I wanted reliable crew for a delivery I would expect to pay expenses and transport. Some try to get it for free, that's fine by me. In my experience deliveries are work and while they can be fun, few would consider them a vacation. If so, there would be business making money off them.

I noticed the OP has logged on since first posting but doesn't care to respond. End of story.
Lobster & Champagne would be nice.... lol Happy Holidays!!!!!
Old 21-12-2014, 10:50   #11

Boat: Boatless

Lobster & Champagne?

Now I getting ticked off. I've done a number of deliveries and never once was I offered lobster &/or champagne? Was I being taken advantage of?

Captain Ron (Arrh Matey)
Old 21-12-2014, 11:02   #12

It is good to place nice. Questions are good. I ask all I can before a delivery and have a signed contract with money in hand before I leave home. I completely inspect the vessel to be delivered and check in with all local authorities before leaving the dock. This reduces the amount of jail time you could be subject to.

Lobster and champagne happen later.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:16   #13

Hi there

Where would you be heading from Dominica republic, we needing a passage to either Turks and Caicos or the Bahamas or anywhere in the east/south/Western Caribbean, we will pay for t passage, what DAT do you arrive in Dominican Republic?

Its just a quick 30 hour passage to turks and Caicos, happy to pay, please get back to me ASAP with you email address, we are ready to leave.

Kindest regards
Katz

Tags
Dominica, Dominican Republic, miami