Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2018, 15:19   #1

Boat: Columbia 9.6
Steel sailboat

Hello,

I am considering a steel hull sailboat 1991 Bruce Robert 35' Custum Build

Someone have done a survey in 2017 "Pre-purchase"

In survey they recommend to sand and paint the water line as soon as possible , there also fresh water in the bilge that needed to be pumped out but the owner didn't do any of these , and the boat stayed this way for the 6 months (winter ).

They also say that about the water line "The ultrasound showed some of the lowest thickness values along this area" .

"Ultrasound showed highest wastage on both sides of the keel and under the aft bunk"

There also moist insulation under aft bunk but they say its still "serviceable"

The boat is fairly cheap 13k cad and i would like to know if any of these remarks are reason to walk away from this boat.

Thank you in advance
Pavel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 15:34   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Steel sailboat

A newer boat for that size and price....my first inclination is walk away. I'm sure it's a home build and quality varies widely. The biggest thing is how much $$$ and elbow grease are you willing to put into it? What is your purpose for the boat? ie cruising ground

You could probably find a Catalina/C&C/Oday, etc in that price range with fewer issues and they will be faster as well. Granted they will be closer to 30ft.

If the biggest thing you like about the boat is price then definitely walk away.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 15:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We own two 1985 Steel sailboats. If the ultrasound found that level of problem it probably missed much more.

Nice dream, time to wake up.

Other boats that are a better deal will come along.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 16:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
A newer boat for that size and price....my first inclination is walk away. I'm sure it's a home build and quality varies widely. The biggest thing is how much $$$ and elbow grease are you willing to put into it? What is your purpose for the boat? ie cruising ground

You could probably find a Catalina/C&C/Oday, etc in that price range with fewer issues and they will be faster as well. Granted they will be closer to 30ft.

If the biggest thing you like about the boat is price then definitely walk away.
I am planning to leave at September 2019 ~, to cruise in Caribbean and east coast. As for work, i dont have any illusions , i will have to work hard ( almost all weekends , holidays and i am not alone in that project, that why 35 feet )and put more then the boat cost to make it good cruiser.

Just wondering with all that information if i am going be able to achieve that since i dont know much about steel sailboats.

Using all the tools i have to make the right decision if possible !
Old 17-04-2018, 16:22   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel24 View Post

Just wondering with all that information if i am going be able to achieve that since i dont know much about steel sailboats.

Using all the tools i have to make the right decision if possible !
The most important aspect of any steel boat is (IMO) the ability to access the hull plating from the inside.

If you can't access the interior of the hull, you can't adequately repair/replace the hull.

Some steel boats have full access and a removable interior; others the interior has to be destroyed in order to get access. You can work out where all the rebuild hours goes .

Steel boats rust from the inside out. You have to be able to see and access all those rusting areas.

Of course every now and then, the inside is well protected from rusting when first built and you know this when you see them .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 17:55   #6

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

If you don't know much about steel boats, then you should run, not walk from the deal because that survey tells me there's a big chance the bilges will be a flaking, rusted mess. There are some good 'uns around, but that doesn't sound like one of them.

If you need more convincing, read this:
http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/rust.html
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 21:32   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
If you don't know much about steel boats, then you should run, not walk from the deal because that survey tells me there's a big chance the bilges will be a flaking, rusted mess. There are some good 'uns around, but that doesn't sound like one of them.

If you need more convincing, read this:
The saving of WhiteBird

As I read the OP I thought of that article.

And there was another blog post I recall that was about a steel boat that passed survey, but the new owner found extensive rust through near the keel, requiring gutting the boat and very costly new plating. I wish I could find that link. It was a young couple that bought the steel boat in the Caribbean a few years ago (2014 or so). I seem to recall the man was from Brazil and the woman from Canada. Does any CF Member have that link?

It is the prospect of hidden flaking rust and possible future hidden holes that makes such a boat a possible time bomb.

To the OP, which boat is this?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 02:20   #8

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

From a steel boat owner and builder for thirty years - don't touch it!

Regards,
Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 03:45   #9

Thanks every one , i will pass that one and i will keep looking.
The keel and bilge problem seems the most scary to me, but who know what is hiding in that boat .
Old 18-04-2018, 08:59   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel24 View Post
Thanks every one , i will pass that one and i will keep looking.
The keel and bilge problem seems the most scary to me, but who know what is hiding in that boat .
Good decision.

Since you are eager to cruise, I suggest two things based on your experience and goals (as I understand them):

1. Focus on finding a Fiberglass hull boat. Avoid steel, wood or other materials. Avoid any "project boats" regardless of price (even if almost free).

2. Read this thread (link below) from start to finish to see outstanding examples of moderately priced used, older cruising boats that appear they are in good to very good condition and suitable for coastal cruising, Bahamas, and Caribbean. Many examples are less than $20k asking Price, all are less than $30k, many are well equipped with basic cruising gear, many recently upgraded or newer engines, etc.

3. Subscribe to the linked thread, so you will be notified of newly listed or found Boats as soon as possible. The best boat deals go quickly.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, steel