Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:04   #16

That's how my 2003 Lagoon 410S2 is built:

CONSTRUCTION
• Composition: fiberglass and vinylester resin
Hull construction: foam core sandwich,
white gelcoat
Hull bottom in solid GRP
• Nacelle and deck construction: balsa sandwich
• Plain laminate countermold
• Bulkheads: reinforced plywood

I have no reason to think that others are built differently, but cannot argue with surveyor, can I? Core on my boat ends well above waterline. When it comes to living aboard, I found boat very comfortable although I would make some changes (install of hard bimini, replace engine-driven fridge/freezer with electric)
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:50   #17

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Bamboosailor's info is very encouraging; solid core extending "well above" the WL with foam core above that....... But we have 2 votes for balsa in the hull; from ID, and amarinesurveyor, who says the balsa extends a foot or so below the WL, (on the ones he's surveyed).

So again what is it? Maybe the older L410s were balsa like ID and surveyor say and the S2 got the foam above and solid core below like Bamboo sailor's. I am hoping this is true as newer 410s are on my short list

Man, don't you want to just grab the guy who layed em up and buy him a big dinner if he'll spill all the beans. Anyone ever actually called the Lagoon factory to get a straight answer on construction methods for their particular year? (for me 2003-2005). I mean talk to production guy who was there not the marketing guy. If I was a native french speaker, I'd be tempted to do this.

I suppose this would all be easy enough to verify by a surveyor but I'd like to know and possibly eliminate the candidate before going thru all the hassel & expense of getting to the survey stage.

How do they tell if a boat is balsa or foam anyway? Can you see it thru unpainted inner hull areas and tell? My 1967 Lightning daysailor had obvious unfaired batts of foam on its inner hull.

Thanks for all your replies. It sure eases a nervous buyer's anxieties.

Eric Lindahl
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 06:48   #18

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Regarding your research into what type of construction you'd prefer I'd go first to an insurance company and ask them who surveys most of their insurance repairs on multihulls. That will tell you everything you need to know regarding construction techniques.

Regarding liveaboard comfort, etc. I'd also look at Galley storage. My st francis has a 110 liter freezer, 130 liter refrigerator and 8 ft of counter space...
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 05:04   #19

Boat: searching
Schooner Dog,
have your ever contacted an Insurance Co. for such info, you make it sound so easy.

Hey I appreciate everyones input, no wonder I got confused. This came about when an "expert" broker told me how wrong I was about foam cored hulls in Lagoons. He gave me no wiggle room, he knew Lagoons were balsa core.

Keep it coming, maybe we well collectively get to the bottom.
Old 16-09-2009, 06:05   #20

This is a quote directly from the Lagoon website, the grammar is not perfect because it is translated from the French:
"• The in balsa sandwich core offers better mechanical (excellent resistance to compression) and chemical (more stability over time) properties."
They don't say exactly where they stop the core in the hulls, some models may be a little different. I have also heard that some builders change from one core to another, based on availability or possibly price, so everything we think is true may not be!
Brian
amarinesurveyor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 08:41   #21

have you an opinion on lagoon 57 versus 570? have you ever had the chance to survey both? thank you
fzprivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 20:09   #22

Hull Materials for Lagoon Catamarans

I have a Lagoon 55S. The S series( 2 boats) had a couple of layers of Kevlar in the hull and the deck and coach works were uni-directional Carbon fibre all laid up in epoxy resin. I have Balsa core in the deck and believe solid glass below the waterline. ENDORFIN
Endorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 06:03   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfin View Post
I have a Lagoon 55S. The S series( 2 boats) had a couple of layers of Kevlar in the hull and the deck and coach works were uni-directional Carbon fibre all laid up in epoxy resin. I have Balsa core in the deck and believe solid glass below the waterline. ENDORFIN
Hi endorfin, we have a Lagoon 55 hull #1 in for a refit, and are in the early discovery stages. It appears there is epocy on the underside of the decks, you mention S series, do you know which ones these were?
Thanks, Kent
JustCatamarans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core, jeanneau