Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 09:58   #1

Good Sailing School in North Florida - Recommendation

My wife and I are interested in finding a good sailing school in North Florida or South Georgia.

Also, if you have a week or two to spare - how much would you try to fit in? Does it make sense to take the ASA classes in short blasts (i.e. weekends) over a longer timeline or longer immersions (week or two) in a shorter time frame?

Appreciate the feedback.
Commodore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 09:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Good Sailing School in North Florida - Recommendation

I'm not sure about sailing schools in Florida or Georgia - but if you would like to come visit us in the Caribbean...

We offer most of our courses as week long live aboard courses. This is a great way to learn because it is so immersive. However - the learning curve is almost vertical during the week and it is super important to keep sailing on your own after the course to really cement the learning. I would say that the same applies if you are going to do weekend courses. After your 101 course, get out on the water and practice what you learned before you take your 103 course. It will give you a chance to learn from your own mistakes and practice at your own pace. It will also help you better understand what you don't know - so when you go for your next course - you will know what questions to ask.

Sailing school is a great way to accelerate your learning - but make sure to get out on the water and sail! It's the only way to really build your sailing skills.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 13:30   #3

LTD,
Thanks for the advice. We may look you up!
Commodore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 13:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

No problem! You can either email me directly at Chris@LTDsailing.com or fill out a contact on our website - those go to me also!

Beam winds,

Chris
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 17:48   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore64 View Post

Also, if you have a week or two to spare - how much would you try to fit in? Does it make sense to take the ASA classes in short blasts (i.e. weekends) over a longer timeline or longer immersions (week or two) in a shorter time frame?

Appreciate the feedback.
Repeatative learning is more effective than a big training load in a short period of time. I suggest taking classes individually or in small combo groupings that go well together (101,103; 104, 114; ....). In between classes, get out in the water and practice the skills until they are familiar routine, then sign up for the next round of training.

A liveaboard charter with training mixed in is a good way to get training, build some experience, and have a fun vacation.

(ASA Instructor since 1994)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, men, sail, sailing, sailing school, school