Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 15:42   #1

New to sailing,opinion on MARTIN 29?

Hey I'm looking to buy this Martin 29 footer for a good price, the engine is a Volvo diesel 20hp that's rusted but works apparently just gotta get a new battery its from 1972, needs a good cleanup, but comes with a good load of useful stuff along with it being a decently set up boat. I don't know a lot about boats and have no sailing experience but I'm really interested in buying it and living aboard. Any experience with this boat, tips to double check on it or just any type of advise is super helpful thanks.

MARTIN 29 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
dumbgreekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 05:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New to sailing,opinion on MARTIN 29?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kid.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 05:58   #3
SFS

Re: New to sailing,opinion on MARTIN 29?

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I encourage you to do some research before you jump in to what is likely a project boat. If you are handy, and can figure things out with a little help from books and other people, then there is nothing wrong with a project boat. If you have to pay someone else to fix what is needed, you will go broke, even if the boat is free.

If the boat has been well taken care of, it may be a different story. Do you have someone in your life that knows boats, that can go look it over before you spend money on a professional survey?

I don't know this model boat, but parts for a volvo engine are notoriously expensive. If it is just for a liveaboard, and you are not going to be sailing or moving it, then the engine and your lack of sailing experience won't matter. If that is the case, you should concentrated on whether you have plenty of storage space, and can cook, bathe, and toilet easily in the spaces available. Good luck.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29', Martin, sail, sailing