Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2016, 08:09   #1

Sailing Books

Hello,

I am an aspiring sailor who wants to one day circumnavigate the world. I already have a few sailing books, but I was hoping you all could post your favorite books which you believe are the best for learning?

Thanks
chrischarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 08:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sailing Books

Howdy Chris,

I see this is your first post in CF.

Here's a link to many threads in the archives that discuss "best books" of all types for sailors and cruising.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...oks&gsc.page=1

Here is a link to several FREE PDF books by Steve Dashew that I highly recommend. They are VERY large books (some are 800 pages) and full of very good information written by a very experienced sailor. I highly recommend these for hours of serious study. SetSail FPB » Free Books

I downloaded all three to my iPad for future reading.

From my POV, the "Offshore Cruising Encyclopedia" (in the link above) by Dashew is a classic worth reading. I read it cover to cover back in 1990 and enjoyed it immensely. Lots of wisdom in those pages!

Also, a CF member "S/V Alchemy" has a blog where he has reviewed many sailing books. Here is a link to his blog:
Volumes of Salt
________

I think everyone could learn something from reading "Chapman's Piloting" which is a classic book (almost an encyclopedia) about sailing and boating. It has been reprinted and updated many times (over 64 editions). It is full of illustrations and a good book that provides a wealth of information.

Here is some info about one of my recent favorite books to read about Single Handed Sailing.

Singlehanded Sailing: Thoughts, Tips, Techniques & Tactics by Andrew Evans.

Andrew Evans is a member of CF and posts under the forum name Foolish Muse. His book is very good reading, full of insights into singlehanded sailing, including his own experience (800 times, 3500 hours singlehanded) and the experiences of other singlehanded sailors.

It is well worth the small price ($14 Paperback edition). It is available on amazon in two editions, paperback or kindle.

Get the latest print (or Kindle) edition (Sept 2014) as it contains new additional content over the earlier PDF version that was distributed for free online. The 2014 edition is also available as a kindle version ($13).
Andrew added 40,000 new words to the latest Amazon print (or Kindle) edition including:

The new edition has several new chapters and major additions, including:
Extended interviews with Craig Horsfield (Mini 6.50), Joe Harris (Class 40) and Ryan Breymaier (IMOCA 60) about sailing their performance racers.
A whole chapter on keels, keeping the boat upright and reducing leeway, including water ballast, canting keels, dagger boards and the DSS wing.
A big section and lessons from Jessica Watson’s collision with a freighter, including the report from The Australian Transportation Safety Bureau.
A long interview and photos from Ruben Gabriel on every singlehander’s dream; what it’s like to break a mast and repair it – half way to Hawaii.
Dealing with hull punctures in real life (not the movie version).
A long talk with 3-time circumnavigator Jeanne Socrates on living aboard.
Discussions with singlehanders about their real life medical emergencies.
Dan Alonso’s story of rescuing another singlehander in horrible weather.
The good way and not-so-good way to hit a rock, from my own experience.

While you may still be able to find the free (earlier) version online, I encourage anyone to spend a little to compensate Andrew for writing such a good and helpful book.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9ICA12...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
-__________

A free ebook version Andrew uploaded for free viewing contains much content, but not the same content (it does not contain the newer 40,000 words noted above). Here is a link to the latest authorized free version (3rd edition PDF). If you like this, I still encourage the purchase of the full, newest edition from Amazon.
http://sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/Sin...rdEdition2.pdf
----------------

Have fun reading!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 11:30   #3

Across Islands and Oceans by James Baldwin.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 11:52   #4

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27
Smile Re: Sailing Books

Back when I started sailing I bought a little 21-footer and read a book about sailing (I was a power boater before seeing the light ) For the life of me I can't remember the name of the book (from Barnes and Noble, waterproof pages...made Sailing for Dummies look like a technical manual written in a foreign language!). Followed the directions in the book and I was sailing! (Kinda).

But yeah, all of the books mentioned by Steadyhand above. Additionally, "The Annapolis book of Seamanship" especially for the chapter on navigation and dead reckoning (yes, old school...I know). But centuries old practices of sailing methodology can't be all that bad to know about when the GPS fails. Easier to understand than Chapman's on that subject....but that's just me.
Old 20-10-2016, 12:09   #5

Boat: S2 9.2C 30ft

Sailing a serious ocean by John Kretschmer
cookingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 12:59   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, Adlard Coles' classic, "Heavy Weather Sailing" should probably be in there somewhere... not to scare you, just to help you get prepared.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 13:10   #7

Boat: None

Book #1 for anybody with this question should always be, in my humble opinion, The Voyager's Handbook.

-
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 13:34   #8

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

There must be a glitch on Amazon. Andrew's book is not available on Kindle and the link you provided did not work for me. Evidently there used to be a Kindle version (before the glitch?) because there are reviews of it connected to the paperback version.

There were several reviews who said that it was more of a book on how to race singlehanded. Any comments on that?

Thanks for the info!
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Here is some info about one of my recent favorite books to read about Single Handed Sailing.

Andrew Evans is a member of CF and posts under the forum name Foolish Muse. His book is very good reading, full of insights into singlehanded sailing, including his own experience (800 times, 3500 hours singlehanded) and the experiences of other singlehanded sailors.

It is well worth the small price ($14 Paperback edition). It is available on amazon in two editions, paperback or kindle.

Get the latest print (or Kindle) edition (Sept 2014) as it contains new additional content over the earlier PDF version that was distributed for free online. The 2014 edition is also available as a kindle version ($13).
Andrew added 40,000 new words to the latest Amazon print (or Kindle) edition including:

The new edition has several new chapters and major additions, including:
Extended interviews with Craig Horsfield (Mini 6.50), Joe Harris (Class 40) and Ryan Breymaier (IMOCA 60) about sailing their performance racers.
A whole chapter on keels, keeping the boat upright and reducing leeway, including water ballast, canting keels, dagger boards and the DSS wing.
A big section and lessons from Jessica Watson’s collision with a freighter, including the report from The Australian Transportation Safety Bureau.
A long interview and photos from Ruben Gabriel on every singlehander’s dream; what it’s like to break a mast and repair it – half way to Hawaii.
Dealing with hull punctures in real life (not the movie version).
A long talk with 3-time circumnavigator Jeanne Socrates on living aboard.
Discussions with singlehanders about their real life medical emergencies.
Dan Alonso’s story of rescuing another singlehander in horrible weather.
The good way and not-so-good way to hit a rock, from my own experience.

While you may still be able to find the free (earlier) version online, I encourage anyone to spend a little to compensate Andrew for writing such a good and helpful book.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9ICA12...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
-__________

A free ebook version Andrew uploaded for free viewing contains much content, but not the same content (it does not contain the newer 40,000 words noted above). Here is a link to the latest authorized free version (3rd edition PDF). If you like this, I still encourage the purchase of the full, newest edition from Amazon.
http://sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/Sin...rdEdition2.pdf
----------------

Have fun reading!
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 09:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Steady Hand: Thanks for the note. I'm glad that you like it.

Mycroft: The book certainly has a "performance" orientation. I'm interested in SAILING. I know that others are interested in sight-seeing or spending time with neighbors at the docks in far-flung tropical islands. But that's not me. People with a motor cruiser can't understand how I enjoy the time it takes to get anywhere on my sailboat. I tell them that the moment I leave the dock, I'm exactly where I want to be. I absolutely detest running my motor.

The book was originally written as a way to teach myself the techniques of how to sail singlehanded. That's why I put it up as a free version on the net first. You should take a look at it. I had to develop many of the techniques myself or learn very specific things from other experienced singlehanders. So in answer to your question, the book is meant to teach you how to SAIL singlehanded. I use a lot of racing thoughts simply because they are the best way to learn how to sail.

Have fun.

Andy
Old 21-10-2016, 14:27   #10

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

Sounds excellent Andy! Any idea why the Kindle version isn't available?
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 15:29   #11

Boat: Douglas 32

Chris,
Another thread on this site has 8 pages of replies for non-fiction sailing books:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oks-43448.html

Some are even FREE!
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, sail, sailing