Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 19:18   #1

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Navionics on OpenCPN

Hello all.

I've been planning my navigation station, B&G, and was lamenting the fact that I couldn't simply go with OpenCPN, and use "easily available" Navionics Charts, and the radar plug-in.

I'm aware of CM93, and that USA charts are free. But most charts are not free, and those that are free, are often very time consuming to find and download. I'm looking for a legal source of charts for a circumnavigation, so there would be a lot of downloading to do.

So, without further ado, here's what I've done:

I wrote to Navico, back in 2017, then again in mid 2018, and again today. The person, to whom I've written, is: Dana Fenner, Senior Director- Business Development.

I don't think she's listening to me.

Now, if there are others on this forum who'd like to use OpenCPN charting software, with navionics charts, I have a suggestion.

Copy the following short letter, paste it in an e-mail, and send it off to: dfenner@navionics.com

If she gets enough of these mails, then perhaps she'll offer to write a plug-in for OpenCPN.

Here's what I suggest, though feel free to write your own letter...

Dear Ms Fenner.

I read, on cruisersforum.com, that you told one of our members you'd get in touch with Dave, bdbcat@yahoo.com, at OpenCPN, in regards to writing a Plug-in, for that software.

I'd like to offer my support for that idea, and would be interested in purchasing your product, to use with OpenCPN software.

I'm writing, in hopes that if you receive enough letters such as this, that you would see the potential for sales of your product.

Thanks for your time.

OpenCPN user.

It would be good to put your name above "OpenCPN user.

That's it, if you're interested, send a letter. If you're not interested... Well, let's not clutter the thread with poopah.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 08:13   #2

Re: NAVIONICS ON OPENCPN

I appreciate your initiative, but I don't understand it

There are many better Charts on the market than Navionics (or at least on the same level), that run on OpenCPN
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 10:02   #3

Thanks for your reply.

If you could name a brand of charts that work with OpenCPN, that cover the world, I'd be very happy to use them. So far, what I've found is many charts that work, but no "single source" for legal (non CM93) world charts.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 13-03-2019, 10:35   #4

Maybe I'm not advised,
but neither Navionics has a "single source" covering the whole world (like no other brands), you have to download (or buy SD) the various zones separately; and not also for OpenCPN, but neither for any other navigation software.
You can find it only on-line on their website, but non to buy and/or download.

If I'm wrong, I'll be very pleased, because I'd like to have it too, I mean something similar to CM93 but updated (CM93 is not!)
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 12:01   #5

What I meant by "single source" was a single brand of chart. Navionics being a "single source", for worldwide charts.

I'd rather not have to source charts from a myriad of vendors, or websites, then have to revisit these sites for updates, if available.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 13-03-2019, 12:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Thanks for your reply.

If you could name a brand of charts that work with OpenCPN, that cover the world, I'd be very happy to use them. So far, what I've found is many charts that work, but no "single source" for legal (non CM93) world charts.

Cheers.
Paul.
Covering remote areas with navionics charts can be more dangerous than sailing without any charts... In those remote areas you are better off with Google Earth*!

The plugin itself is a legal question, an established company can't just provide a plugin for "downloaded stuff".

*<- here is your SINGLE GLOBAL PROVIDER. You'll unlikely find a better global one...

The mariner's life is always about keeping yourself up-to-date, checking LOCAL information all the time. I understand, if you are always on the move, doing long-distance passages, you'll deal with different chart sources.

BTW for most of Europe & Caribbean o-Charts is a reliable source, they are in direct contact with the hydrographic offices. Charts are quarterly updated, the price covers 1 year worth of updates, similar policy as Navionics, the outdated charts remain perfectly usable on your device.

I understand, there are hacked Jeppesen and other charts around, but keep in mind, those are meant to be used by large ships, not the AWBs sailing thousands of miles away from major shipping routes...
Old 13-03-2019, 14:57   #7

Thanks for those links. I'll take a look.

As regards the plug-in, it's not for "downloaded stuff". It's so we can purchase, and use, navionics charts. Bought from Navionics.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old 15-04-2019, 23:23   #8

many of us will have already purchased the Navionics charts as e.g. backup on the mobile. I support the idea of a ocpn plug-in enabling to use the legally purchased charts to get more than the very limited functions of the Navionics Boating app (e.g AIS integration) - other apps like SailGribWR already enable this , why shouldn't ocpn as well ?
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 01:51   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

You need to visit the OpenCPN download sites and get a total for the number of downloads of the program then bring it to your Navionics correspondent's notice to provide her with a figure for the number of potential users.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 05:20   #10

BUMP..
Old 19-04-2019, 09:32   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There are illegal copies of both CMAP and Navionics out there, but in recent years they have been taken down from most web sites. You will need to find someone (not me) who still has a copy they are willing to risk sharing.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 12:20   #12

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

I don't think the OP was considering pirate copies. I believe he was trying to drum up support for a legit plug-in authorised by Navionics (now Garmin) for their regular charts.

I have Navionics on my tablet and phone but TBH I much prefer the charts from o-charts for OpenCPN.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 15:28   #13

Yes, that's right. I am looking for LEGAL charts, to use on Open CPN.
I want to be legal in every respect.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 20-05-2019, 04:16   #14

Bump.
Old 20-05-2019, 04:20   #15
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

If you wait some days more you will be able to get legal vector charts under OpenCPN for Canada.
They are under preparation right now.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, navionics, opencpn