Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 23:22   #1

osENC O-charts vs Navionics for the UK/Ireland?

I am looking for reliable electronic charts and bumped into the offering of osENC. How do these opencpn charts fare compared to Navionics?
Old 05-07-2018, 01:17   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: osENC O-charts vs Navionics for the UK/Ireland?

Reason enough to go for OsENC is being able to use Opencpn with AIS(assuming you have it over wifi for a tablet) IMHO.

Otherwise the data should be near enough identical.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Reason enough to go for OsENC is being able to use Opencpn with AIS(assuming you have it over wifi for a tablet) IMHO.

Otherwise the data should be near enough identical.
Haven't set up the infrastructure for that yet, but indeed, it's a great idea!
Old 26-04-2019, 00:32   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Data might be similar, who knows as there doesn't seem to be any sample osENC charts or anyway to check them before buying, but they are cheap. With most of the commercial chart companies you can check areas for detail before buying.

You might also prefer the colour scheme and presentation of Navionics charts, though OpenCPN can be customised a bit to change how the osENC charts look. What you won't have is any of the crowdsource Navionics or Active captain information about anchorages, marinas etc..
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 01:38   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I've used osENC charts of Iceland and Faroes, and just bought Germany, Sweden, Finland, and Estonia.

They are vector charts like vector charts, but Iceland and Faroes are somewhat different from Navionics, with a different presentation, but with more or less the same kinds of and volume of data.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 01:53   #6
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

The oeSENC charts do have exactly the same content as official charts like those distributed by Admiralty for example in the case of UK and IRL.

You can't just call them "Official" as they are not issued and distributed via the channels defined for Official Charts. The so called VARs with S-63 charts.
This implies that oeSENC charts (likewise all the other chart sets for recreational boating) are no sufficient to comply with carriage requirements for commercial vessels.

The same is valid for the rest of the oeSENC sets.

Due to internal restrictions of UKHO some few cells are missing from the UK set like the Severn/Bristol or some Alderney cells. In case one can add plain S-63 charts to compensate when sailing in this places.
It is as well noteworthy that some few smaller harbors covered by UKHO raster charts are not included.

To check look and feel of S-57/S-52 charts there are either the free US charts or the European InlandENCs. Or go for the Polish oeSENC set which costs 9€.

The portrayal or presentation of OpenCPN follows strictly S-52/S-57
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 01:56   #7
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
What you won't have is any of the crowdsource Navionics or Active captain information about anchorages, marinas etc..
For crowd sourced information there is the sQuiddio plug-in for OpenCPN.
Old 26-04-2019, 02:38   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

By the way, for UK and Ireland, have you seen the superb and incredibly cheap raster chart offerings from VisitMyHarbour?

VMH products : by VisitMyHarbour [Overview-VMH products and downloads] - VisitMyHarbour articles

For UK and Ireland, that is for sure what I would be using (and what I DO use) with OpenCPN, not osENC.

From VMH you get the official "FOR NAVIGATION" admiralty charts, right up to date, with all of the notes and everything. Unless you have some particular need for vector charts (like using a small screen, or using at the helm for pilotage), this is for sure what you want to be using.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 26-04-2019, 03:09   #9
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
By the way, for UK and Ireland, have you seen the superb and incredibly cheap raster chart offerings from VisitMyHarbour?

VMH products : by VisitMyHarbour [Overview-VMH products and downloads] - VisitMyHarbour articles
From VMH you get the official "FOR NAVIGATION" admiralty charts, right up to date, with all of the notes and everything. Unless you have some particular need for vector charts (like using a small screen, or using at the helm for pilotage), this is for sure what you want to be using.
Dockhead,

for raster charts applies exactly the same as to the vector charts: even if the appearance is identical, those are not "Official Charts".
You will observe that for example the Logos and marginalia are getting removed, such as the license conditions of UKHO require.
We are looking into the raster charts for region where their coverages are better as well for the near future, but they require quite some (semi-) manual tweaking.
This is btw. the reason why they are getting updated just once a year - IIRC.

Hubert
Old 26-04-2019, 03:29   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Dockhead,

for raster charts applies exactly the same as to the vector charts: even if the appearance is identical, those are not "Official Charts".
You will observe that for example the Logos and marginalia are getting removed, such as the license conditions of UKHO require.
We are looking into the raster charts for region where their coverages are better as well for the near future, but they require quite some (semi-) manual tweaking.
This is btw. the reason why they are getting updated just once a year - IIRC.

Hubert

Well, they sell them as official "For Navigation" charts.

Anyway they are true copies of the actual Admiralty paper charts and don't look like the vector charts, even if they are based on the same data.

I presume you are from osENC? Let me just say that I think what you are doing is great. Love to see the areas you cover expanded, and would LOVE to see raster charts offered.

I navigate using vector charts on chart plotters for pilotage and where possible, raster charts on OpenCPN using a large monitor at my nav station, for navigation and passage planning. I am using VMH for the fairly small areas they cover (UK, Ireland, European Atlantic coasts excluding Germany) and I'm using your ENC charts for other areas. Your ENC charts are fine, but I would much prefer raster charts, and will buy them eagerly if you start to offer them, as I'm sure lots of others will, too.
Walt Whitman
Old 26-04-2019, 03:40   #11
bcn

Raster charts have always the big advantage that some knowledgable cartographer composed the information with the sailor in mind.
But they will disappear in the future.

I'm used to vector, which have other different plusses.

oeRNC is a raster format for OpenCPN that will become available in a short time as well. We are working on it. Will allow to fill some gaps and offer alternatives for raster fans. But as said, all this requires capacity and time.

oeSENC, (oeRNC) and o-charts are OpenCPN. A reply to the question: where do I get up-to-date quality charts for OpenCPN from? As the US is an exception in this field we had to look how to fill the gap and jumping into the poodle.

Hubert
Old 26-04-2019, 03:58   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Raster charts have always the big advantage that some knowledgable cartographer composed the information with the sailor in mind.
But they will disappear in the future.

I'm used to vector, which have other different plusses.

oeRNC is a raster format for OpenCPN that will become available in a short time as well. We are working on it. Will allow to fill some gaps and offer alternatives for raster fans. But as said, all this requires capacity and time.

oeSENC, (oeRNC) and o-charts are OpenCPN. A reply to the question: where do I get up-to-date quality charts for OpenCPN from? As the US is an exception in this field we had to look how to fill the gap and jumping into the poodle.

Hubert

Whether you can easily use vector charts for real navigation or not -- depends on your work stream. Vector charts are very difficult to use for passage planning when you need to see a large area with all of the hazards, and particularly, when you need to be sure that details are not dropping out as you adjust the zoom level. Such functionality might some day be added to vector chart display -- would be great. But at the moment, only raster charts allow you to choose a particular chart which has a particular, fixed level of detail, and work in that particular chart, and then consciously changing views by changing the chart, rather than have the machine constructing the views on the fly.

As a supplier of cartography to our community -- please don't underestimate the power of raster charts for real navigators. We do really need them.
Walt Whitman
Old 26-04-2019, 04:24   #13

Quote:
By the way, for UK and Ireland, have you seen the superb and incredibly cheap raster chart offerings from VisitMyHarbour? ...
+1.

Currently using opencpn with oeSENC + VMH + Navionics (SASPlanet Mbtiles) + Satellite (SASPlanet Mbtiles).
real_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 04:50   #14
bcn

Quote:
But at the moment, only raster charts allow you to choose a particular chart which has a particular, fixed level of detail, and work in that particular chart, and then consciously changing views by changing the chart, rather than have the machine constructing the views on the fly.
Single chart view, Quilting OFF, the "Q" key will do this.
Taking your example selecting usage band 1, 2 or 3 charts before diving into details.
Old 26-04-2019, 04:56   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Single chart view, Quilting OFF, the "Q" key will do this.
Taking your example selecting usage band 1, 2 or 3 charts before diving into details.

OK, maybe advanced vector chart skills I don't have. I'll give this a try -- thanks.
Walt Whitman

Tags
charts, enc, Ireland, navionics