Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 15:56   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41
Send a message via Skype™ to GinTonic
Placencia to Cartagena June thru September

Planning on sailing a Beneteau 41 from Placencia , Belize to Cartagena in the summer months. Need to know predominant winds , recommended ports etc. The general route is Placencia , roatan , providencia, san andres , bocas del toro, san blas , cartagena. Ideas welcome
GinTonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 17:01   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Placencia to Cartagena June thru September

Below is a start for information on the region:

"
Cruising Guides

There are a number of cruising guides published for the region. Collectively they provide excellent and detailed coverage.

Below is my perspective on each of these publications (that I know of) which cover this region (note there are a few out of print guides and other Internet based sources of info as well).

Cruising Ports: the Central American Route (AKA "Rains Guide"). Excellent guide to passage planning between cruising ports. Very good publication. It is not intended to be a "cruising guide" per se, but does also include a fair amount of information supplemental to its purpose. It's primary value is for planning routes between cruising ports.

Cruising Guide to Belize and Mexico's Caribbean Coast, including Guatemala's Rio Dulce (Freya Rauscher). Another excellent work and the only comprehensive reference for Belize. Her charts are the most comprehensive and accurate available for Belize (Excluding the small area around Belize City which has current surveys -- all other government issued charts are based on very old surveys). There are a few, very few, errors and omissions in this guide so, as with any other source of information, use it prudently, but overall it is accurate and very well done -- especially true given the extensive and complex waters of Belize.

A Cruising Guide to the Northwest Caribbean (Stephen J. Pavlidis). This guide in fact only covers a relatively small area of the NW Carib. For example, effectively no information on Belize or Mexico -- even the section describing potential routes from the Gulf Of Mexico to Rio Dulce omits Belize like it does not exist -- tough to do from a practical perspective (Not even a reference to Freya's guide for more information). It's primary value is the navigation information it provides for the Bay Islands and Northern coast of Honduras. The navigation information is sparse, but sufficient and accurate. However, there are voluminous sections on local culture and history (reasonably well done, but all this information and more is available from other sources). The sparse navigation information for each port is supplemented by much more extensive information regarding Internet access and dining options for that port.

The Panama Cruising Guide (Eric Bauhaus). This is "THE" guide to Panama and one of the best guides I have ever used independent of venue. Extremely detailed and comprehensive with excellent satellite cartography, aerial shots, and extensive local knowledge. Gets my vote for best cruising guide ever written regardless of venue.

Cruising Guide to Colombia. This is a truly impressive official tome of a cruising guide which is richly illustrated and chock full of navigation details. However, it was developed to promote maritime tourism and much of the text was clearly written by people who knew nothing of boats or navigation. The navigation details however are extensive and good, including a full set of charts, waypoint lists, and aerial photos. Paper copies are not widely available, but are handed out for free when clearing into Santa Marta or Cartagena. Bluewater Books & Charts used to offer a paper copy for shipping costs only, but no more. There is a full PDF version available, but the problem is that the PDF version of this guide is so large and rich in graphic content that it often fails render properly and can be very slow and cumbersome to navigate, especially since it has no hyperlinked content. You can find a full copy of the cruising guide, and a version broken into multiple PDF files here: https://db.tt/rEd5ywl4.

Colombia to Rio Dulce Cruising Guide (freecruisingguides.com). Very well done coverage of the area. ...

Colombia Other. There are a number of articles and simple guides written by other cruisers which are not as extensive or as detailed as the official guide, but do contain a lot of useful information. A list of those I know of below.

CRUISING GUIDE FOR COAST OF COLOMBIA (updated December 2006). Lourae and Randy on PIZAZZ.

Cartagena to the San Blas The Easy Route. Suzanne Longacre. Caribbean Compass 2007.

Bay of Cholon Waypoints. s/v Nikki Wikki. 2011

Club Nautico Web site. Dated web site, but still has good info on Colombia & Cartagena. http://www.clubnauticocartagena.com/carta.htm

Sailing the Caribbean Coast of Colombia. Three part article published in Oct, Nov, Dec 2011. Constance Elson. Caribbean Compass. Also available from author as a single PDF.

Older Guides

The Cruising Guide to The Northwest Caribbean by Nigel Calder, September 1991.

Bay Islands (spiral-bound) by Julius M Wilen
"

Also take a look at Pilot Charts for the region.

The area of higher winds and seas associated with the Colombian Low tend to start to settle down about now thru the summer, but squalls increase in summer months.

From my "Western Caribbean Cruising Notes".
https://www.amazon.com/Western-Carib.../dp/B073BDLYQF
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 17:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinTonic View Post
Planning on sailing a Beneteau 41 from Placencia , Belize to Cartagena in the summer months. Need to know predominant winds , recommended ports etc. The general route is Placencia , roatan , providencia, san andres , bocas del toro, san blas , cartagena. Ideas welcome
Some routing thoughts:

During summer months in the NW Carib, SE winds become more likely. They are also more likely in the SW Carib, but less so. These may bedevil you a bit getting around the corner (Nicaraguan Banks) from the Bay Islands to Providencia.

The normal NE Trades also make it a challenge to get from Bay Islands to the Nica Banks, but once you turn S toward Providencia its a nice ride.

The combination of both (NE & SE winds) could make a summer months run more challenging...and you wont have cold fronts to give you a favorable shift.

Bocas puts you well West of your destination and W Panama winds are almost always light. From Providencia, if you can catch favorable winds in the summer months, then you might make for Portobelo. This gets you further W.

Security: two problem areas: the Honduran mainland coast, esp near Punta Sal, and the Nicaraguan Banks. See NoonSite and CSSN for more details.

Hurricanes: Tropical activity is not very likely early in hurricane season in the NW Carib so I would head out as early in the season as possible and get S fast. Late in the season hurricans can form very quickly just off the Honduran coast (read about the loss of the Phantom in Mitch...not a good way to go). See NOAA for historic tracks. They occassionally occur as far S as Providencia, but are very rare S of 11N.

Squalls. Summer weather is squally at night in both the NW & SW Carib. Got RADAR?
Old 07-04-2018, 19:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinTonic View Post
NOAA "Pilot Charts" give the typical historical winds and currents
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:21   #5

Boat: Boatless

I’ve done that passage ;-)

Lots of diesel.

Don’t forget a stop at Vivorillos.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:22   #6

Here’s a pic ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34679728-B490-48E6-B63F-6F3281CCB17B.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	167782  
Old 08-04-2018, 12:58   #7

Thats interesting. Looks like Navionics right? But, I dont recall my Navionivcs (Android) having that detail for Vivarillos.
Old 08-04-2018, 16:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Thats interesting. Looks like Navionics right? But, I dont recall my Navionivcs (Android) having that detail for Vivarillos.
It’s there :-)

Cool place, long run into the prevailing but decent enough angle from there.

Pretty remote which I like.
Old 08-04-2018, 16:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
It’s there :-)

Cool place, long run into the prevailing but decent enough angle from there.

Pretty remote which I like.
Yes, Ive been to Vivarillos, just dont recall seeing much detail on Navionics.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:50   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41
Send a message via Skype™ to GinTonic

Thanks so much for the valuable information !! I just the recommended books on Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Below is a start for information on the region:

"
Cruising Guides

There are a number of cruising guides published for the region. Collectively they provide excellent and detailed coverage.

Below is my perspective on each of these publications (that I know of) which cover this region (note there are a few out of print guides and other Internet based sources of info as well).

Cruising Ports: the Central American Route (AKA "Rains Guide"). Excellent guide to passage planning between cruising ports. Very good publication. It is not intended to be a "cruising guide" per se, but does also include a fair amount of information supplemental to its purpose. It's primary value is for planning routes between cruising ports.

Cruising Guide to Belize and Mexico's Caribbean Coast, including Guatemala's Rio Dulce (Freya Rauscher). Another excellent work and the only comprehensive reference for Belize. Her charts are the most comprehensive and accurate available for Belize (Excluding the small area around Belize City which has current surveys -- all other government issued charts are based on very old surveys). There are a few, very few, errors and omissions in this guide so, as with any other source of information, use it prudently, but overall it is accurate and very well done -- especially true given the extensive and complex waters of Belize.

A Cruising Guide to the Northwest Caribbean (Stephen J. Pavlidis). This guide in fact only covers a relatively small area of the NW Carib. For example, effectively no information on Belize or Mexico -- even the section describing potential routes from the Gulf Of Mexico to Rio Dulce omits Belize like it does not exist -- tough to do from a practical perspective (Not even a reference to Freya's guide for more information). It's primary value is the navigation information it provides for the Bay Islands and Northern coast of Honduras. The navigation information is sparse, but sufficient and accurate. However, there are voluminous sections on local culture and history (reasonably well done, but all this information and more is available from other sources). The sparse navigation information for each port is supplemented by much more extensive information regarding Internet access and dining options for that port.

The Panama Cruising Guide (Eric Bauhaus). This is "THE" guide to Panama and one of the best guides I have ever used independent of venue. Extremely detailed and comprehensive with excellent satellite cartography, aerial shots, and extensive local knowledge. Gets my vote for best cruising guide ever written regardless of venue.

Cruising Guide to Colombia. This is a truly impressive official tome of a cruising guide which is richly illustrated and chock full of navigation details. However, it was developed to promote maritime tourism and much of the text was clearly written by people who knew nothing of boats or navigation. The navigation details however are extensive and good, including a full set of charts, waypoint lists, and aerial photos. Paper copies are not widely available, but are handed out for free when clearing into Santa Marta or Cartagena. Bluewater Books & Charts used to offer a paper copy for shipping costs only, but no more. There is a full PDF version available, but the problem is that the PDF version of this guide is so large and rich in graphic content that it often fails render properly and can be very slow and cumbersome to navigate, especially since it has no hyperlinked content. You can find a full copy of the cruising guide, and a version broken into multiple PDF files here: https://db.tt/rEd5ywl4.

Colombia to Rio Dulce Cruising Guide (freecruisingguides.com). Very well done coverage of the area. ...

Colombia Other. There are a number of articles and simple guides written by other cruisers which are not as extensive or as detailed as the official guide, but do contain a lot of useful information. A list of those I know of below.

CRUISING GUIDE FOR COAST OF COLOMBIA (updated December 2006). Lourae and Randy on PIZAZZ.

Cartagena to the San Blas The Easy Route. Suzanne Longacre. Caribbean Compass 2007.

Bay of Cholon Waypoints. s/v Nikki Wikki. 2011

Club Nautico Web site. Dated web site, but still has good info on Colombia & Cartagena. http://www.clubnauticocartagena.com/carta.htm

Sailing the Caribbean Coast of Colombia. Three part article published in Oct, Nov, Dec 2011. Constance Elson. Caribbean Compass. Also available from author as a single PDF.

Older Guides

The Cruising Guide to The Northwest Caribbean by Nigel Calder, September 1991.

Bay Islands (spiral-bound) by Julius M Wilen
"

Also take a look at Pilot Charts for the region.

The area of higher winds and seas associated with the Colombian Low tend to start to settle down about now thru the summer, but squalls increase in summer months.

From my "Western Caribbean Cruising Notes".
https://www.amazon.com/Western-Carib.../dp/B073BDLYQF
GinTonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Also check out Western Caribbean Cruising Notes by Curtis Collins on Amazon

A Cruising Guide to the Northwest Caribbean (Stephen J. Pavlidis).
Belizesailor’s review of this is correct , My advice would be to save your money for an accurate guide, plot the waypoint for the approaches to Utilla if you do not believe me!!
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 14:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
Also check out Western Caribbean Cruising Notes by Curtis Collins on Amazon

A Cruising Guide to the Northwest Caribbean (Stephen J. Pavlidis).
Belizesailor’s review of this is correct , My advice would be to save your money for an accurate guide, plot the waypoint for the approaches to Utilla if you do not believe me!!
Thanks for the plug Triumphant! [emoji6]

Tags
cartagena, enc