Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 13:05   #1

Boat: 2006 Lagoon 440
Heading for Cartagena, Columbia

We are on our Lagoon 440 currently at Montego Bay, Jamaica, about to head directly to Cartagen in Columbia. I expect the passage will take about 5 days with favourable winds. I know little about Cartagena but I have been told there are several places I can haul out my boat, as I'm due for a hull survey ahead of crossing the Pacific next year. Any suggestions for locations, preferred boatyards / suppliers, experience with costs, quality or work manship, etc? An alternative is Panama, or once having done the canal passage, the Pacific side of Costa Rica? Open to any first hand advice.
coldar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 13:17   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Heading for Cartagena, Columbia

Here is a tip: it is Colombia, not Columbia. It pisses Colombians off when you call their country Columbia, so I don't recommend that if you want to get anything done.

For a survey I'm almost sure you will have to fly somebody in or find a surveyor who is cruising around himself. You can try the San Blas Cruisers Facebook group. Your best haul-outs for a cat are in Panama but Cartagena has possibilities as well. I would let it depend on where you find a surveyor or where it is most cost effective to fly him in.

You can get much boatwork done in Colon but will have to find the right people (ask around or on the VHF net) and may have to order materials from Florida (Marine Warehouse is active in Panama).
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 03:13   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Heading for Cartagena, Columbia

We were in Cartagena and boy is it great but the water there is the dirtest we have seen anywhere - after you haul and launch get out of town before the water eats you new paint.

There was one haul out there that could handle a big cat. I am not sure about a surveyor.

Your othere option is a marina just before the canal - expensive but I think they can haul cats and can probably arrange for a surveyor.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartagena, columbia, head