Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 15:34   #31

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: NADA value on a Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Am not disparaging the Cats. Was friends with Butler when he started up his boat company. Unlike a lot of small sailboats, the cats have survived a long long time. Truth is, they do wind up in non profit summer auctions partly because they are so old, many dealers would advise the seller to donate rather than sell(agree with you), and they are easy to tow to the local YMCA.

Cats are good, all around pleasure boats for the family. Good value for the money. Still are. Plus easy to rebuild, repair, and refurbish.

Agreed!
Old 11-04-2016, 21:14   #32

I bought a Catalina 22 about 3 months ago in good basic condition, but filthy from neglect for 6 or 7 years. Swing keel and trailer. Lots of sails in very good condition and an outboard that is older but looks like it had never been run. Paid $1000 for it. When I insured it through Gieco they said the range was from $2000 to $3500 worth of coverage. I didnt ask for more. In the 3 months of ownership I have put almost another $1000 into the boat and trailer, even though it was pretty good to begin with. I watch Craigslist and Ebay everyday and see 22s for sale from $500 up to $6500. I cant believe what some people ask for 35 year old boats, but would suspect that you can get a pretty nice one for 2 to 3K and then still spend more on making it the way you want it. There are so many 22s for sale at any one time that I think you can find a better deal. than 4K. Just my opinion. ____Grant
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
C22 is the kind of boat you find at YMCA auctions.
The thing is, there's so many Catalina 22s out there that you will find them with just about every conceivable type of owner, and shape, and age. So you will find the clueless owner asking a ridiculous amount for a worn-out wreck, and you will find a sweet but neglected newer boat showing up at that Y auction. Or the kids selling their late dad's beloved boat, or an active owner upsizing. And every combination in between. Which greatly increases the chances of finding a boat with what you want, in the shape you are OK with, at a price you're willing to pay.

Personally speaking, as an owner of a 19' trailersailor, (9 years) I think that small boats like these are astoundingly good value - big fun, alot of sailing for a little money, easy to sail, maintain and upgrade, you can tow it to places that would take a big boat days to reach... or will never reach. Many people don't realize this, and so it remains a buyer's market, I think.

Have fun finding and owning a Cat 22!
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:45   #34

Just as an example of why prices vary so much, at the marina where I am going to launch this week, there are 3 Cat 22s on trailers and 2 in the water. Of those only one looks like it is cared for and has some value. One will probably be lien saled soon and the other 3 look raggedy. Only one of the boats on trailers (the cared for one) doesnt have flat rotten tires. Huge difference in value, although a lot of elbow grease could do wonders for any neglected boat. Mine looked terrible when I bought it 3 months ago, but has cleaned up well. It is just an opinion, but I dont think NADA means anything on 35 year old boats. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:03   #35

Here is a ballpark guide to price a 30-35+ year old 22-25 foot sailboat.

Hull - excellent, Bristol shape - $2000, average shape $500-1,000. Poor shape/derelict - $-1,000 (yes that's a minus sign). Then add/substract for:

-good diesel $1,000-2,000, iffy/non-starting diesel $0, great/new outboard $1,500, good/average 4 stroke outboard $500-1,000, decent but older 2 stroke $200-300, iffy/non-starting outboard $0

-new/newish sails $1,000-1,500, average sails $300-500, old sails $0

-trailer excellent condition $1,000-1,500, average $500, poor/rusty/broken lights -$0.

-cushions, sail covers, electronics, etc. if all are in good/decent shape, not moldy/smelly/broken and still have a few years left - perhaps add $300-500 otherwise $0.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 13:00   #36
Marine Service Provider

Hi! I'm Lauren, on the marketing team here at boats.com We came across your recent post where you mention selling your Catalina 22 on our website. We love to hear that our listing service is working for you, and we are excited about sharing your story, with your permission. Please reply, private message or email me at lauren@boats.com. Looking forward to hearing from you!
boats.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina