Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 19:19   #1

Advice for a 27'-31' classic monohull for coastal cruising

I live in northwest Florida and am looking for a traditional looking monohull in the 27'-31' range. Something large enough for a family of 4 to go out on for the weekend, but something capable of handling the Apalachicola to Tampa ICW crossing. Right now, I'm considering:

Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Shannon 28
Baba 30
Cape Dory 28

I really like the look of the Nor'sea 27, but they are really narrow in order to be trailerable. I'd rather have the room.

What I think I want:
Pretty in a traditional way...wood interior finishing, bronze portholes, if hanging a brass lantern inside would look stupid, then I'm not too interested
27-31' with enough space to sleep me, my wife and two growing boys.
Shoal draft, something around 4 feet.
Cutter or Sloop
A real galley that is not under the companion way. I don't want someone stepping over the sink and I like to cook.
Private head with holding tank
Tiller steering

We get some pretty light air days here and I like to take afternoon sails after work, so those are things to consider. I won't be racing, but I don't want something that takes 15kts to get moving either.

I used to have a 26' MacGregor (the sailor with a 6hp kicker, not the motor sailor with the 50HP). I loved it's shallow draft and ease of use. It was light, fast and a heck of a lot of fun. So simple, but sterile and too modern. It may sound stupid to some, but now I want a pretty boat. One that I enjoy looking at as much as I like sailing. I'm sure that I'm missing some pretty boats out there in the $30kish range that would be great options so I'd love to get your thoughts. 80% of our sailing will be protected waters (Choctawhatchee Bay) day sailing with maybe 15% overnight along the ICW or near offshore in the gulf. With the 5% chance of an offshore overnighter to Tampa.

Thoughts?
brokenotbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Advice for a 27'-31' classic monohull for coastal cruising

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, notbroken.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:15   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Here's a whole list of boats like that to choose from:

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:21   #4

Thanks @Thomm225, that's a great list.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:24   #5

Thanks for the welcome GordMay. I've been lurking here for awhile but finally got around to signing up. My two boys are 11 and 12 and I'm realizing how little time I have left with them, so getting back out on the water has become really important to me.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:17   #6

Boat: Scout 30

I'm also a fan a traditional classic lines. I came to the conclusion years ago that if the look of a boat didn't tug at my heart strings it wasn't for me. Life is just too short to own an ugly boat!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:36   #7

Boat: Scout 30

Here's a classic schooner. Extreme shoal draft is perfect for the Keys & Bahamas but she's seaworthy enough to get you where you want to go.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197.../#.W5ACEOTrvyQ
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:00   #8

Boat: CD25

Nonsuch 26 has a lot of room for the size.
I like your list especially the Shannon 28
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:01   #9

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

As someone who owns and loves my Cape Dory 28, if I'm honest it may not be the boat for you. It has a lot of things you'd like such as the classic looks and lots of bronze and teak. But the galley is small on the 28, and the v-berth area is small too. You are your wife may want that and give the cabin over to the boys, but go take a look at one and make sure you both will fit ok.

I got rid of the self-tacking stay-sail they come with as it simply was too much in the way for me, and the boat doesn't really need it. I added a roller furling unit from Alado and I love it. The boat sails beautifully, even in light winds she does fine. A drifter would be a great addition.

They are built so strong, really tough boats. 4' draft, 40' mast height. Much less expensive than the 30 foot model, although the 30 footer has a better galley, that's essentially where the extra 2 feet goes.

You can see her on my YouTube channel, I have 2 videos where we are sailing and some others of the interior and such so it may help you get an idea of what she is like.

Good luck !
Old 05-09-2018, 10:57   #10

Boat: 1997 Hunter 280

You have a fairly good list and accurate for your purposes. I suggest you add Tartan to the list because it fits your criteria and many of them - 32ft and lower - have tiller steering. Also, take a look at the link thomm225 recommended, it's quite good. The old Albergs, Pearsons, Bristols all are seaworthy and quite nautically traditional.

Best of luck.
salfarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 13:19   #11

I have a Columbia 8.7 which is a wide body "Cruiser" That James Baldwin (Atom Voyages noted above) some modifications o the interior and rigging. I sailed it from Biloxi to Apalachicola from there across the Gulf to Tampa inlet to Fort Myers and across Florida on the cross Florida Canal and up the east coast to my home south of Savannah. It sails like a dream, points well and handles the sea as well as a larger boat. I had James add a propane stove with oven and redesign the bunks with 3 shelves with doors running the length of both sides. These shelves also add strength to the sides. I have two sealed forward lockers which provide storage and safety should the bow get punctured. I added a forward chain locker. Rigging improvements added included an inner forestay with running backs a furling jib and a pully for a spinnaker. There were many other improvements and upgrades that are not mentioned. I would not bat an eye to take this boat to the Bahamas and beyond or even across the Atlantic. It is a well designed shoal draft boat.
Old 05-09-2018, 13:26   #12

BrokenotBroken, I should have added, the water where you are talking about sailing can get a bit thin so you need to keep draft in mind when considering a boat. Personally I would look at shoal draft and not swing keel. A swing keel takes maintenance and most take valuable space on the interior.
Old 05-09-2018, 15:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I'm also a fan a traditional classic lines. I came to the conclusion years ago that if the look of a boat didn't tug at my heart strings it wasn't for me. Life is just too short to own an ugly boat!
I agree life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Old 05-09-2018, 15:43   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

And the budget is?
Check bluewaterboats.org for some good write-ups too. My boat’s probably too small for your tastes but my buddy’s Cheoy Lee Luders 30 is a design you might like. That Nonsuch 26 is a good tip too I’d say.
I know what you mean about getting the kids out there with you too!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 15:53   #15

OldManMirage, thanks for the heads up on the Cape Dory 28. I really want to like it and have heard it's an excellent sailing boat, but that galley... It's too good looking to take off the list though I'll have to climb aboard one and see if we can fit.

Tags
classic, cruising, hull, monohull, traditional