Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2018, 09:46   #1
cruiser

September Atlantic Crossing?

I’m considering the possibility of crossing the Atlantic from Newfoundland to Gibraltar in early September. I’d like to hear from anyone who’s done this during September and how was the weather during the trip?

Cheers

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:57   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: September Atlantic Crossing?

..watching but curious - bypassing the Azores?
SVTatia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 10:42   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Would it make sense to go from NFLD to Ireland, a relatively short hop? Once you are in Ireland you could make the trip to Gibraltar in one or more steps as weather allows.
Old 26-07-2018, 10:43   #4
cruiser

I’d stop in the Azores for a few days.
Old 26-07-2018, 11:04   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Would it make sense to go from NFLD to Ireland, a relatively short hop? Once you are in Ireland you could make the trip to Gibraltar in one or more steps as weather allows.
I’ll look into this possibility, but friends ability to get time off work might necessitate shortening the overall duration of the trip.

I’m still hoping the sun will actually come out sometime this summer here in Maine. Hopefully, we’ll experience nicer weather in Canada, Maine is awful, pea soup fog and rain every day.
Old 26-07-2018, 20:28   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I don't thing the chance of a hurricane would be strong that far north and for sure it would be tracked for weeks in advance. But going to the Azores from Newfoundland isn't the normal route. Check Cornells route AN141.
Old 26-07-2018, 21:28   #7

Crossing the N Atlantic from Main or the US East Coast to the Med Via the Azores in September.

Hmm. Interesting. Why would you want to do that?

Can it be done? yea probabaly, You have a nice big boat. Capable of a couple of hundred miles in 24 hrs. Would I recomend it? No. Wait till Spring.

When in September? Early, Mid or Late? Earlier would be the lesser issues.

The first time I crossed in early September, 35 or so years ago. Boat was a little bit bigger than yours.

Took a major **** kicking from a Huricane. I was walking in bulkheads.

That part of the world at that time of year I would expect fugly nasty weather.

Old Mariners lore, The Weather gurus may not agree. But I never trusted some tosser in an office with a computer.
Late Season Huricanes are often the worst.
The most predicatble thing about Huricanes, They dont do what is predicted.
Most late season Huricanes. track further North. Stay further North and recurve off shore without making land fall.
Some have been Known to make Landfall as Far North as New York. Most will turn into severe N Atalantic Depresions and follow the whole way across.

A Huricane before recurve can be avoided. Quite easily afterwards no so much. Usualy only 2 or 3 hundred miles across before recurve. After recurve they tend to speed up, loose intensity and spread out. instead of being a couple of hunder miles across become a couple of thousand miles across. Wind can still eceded Beufort 12 for hundereds of miles from storm center.

If things go just right or just wrong depending upon how you looks at it. They can meet up with a Depresion coming of the North american continent and turn realy nasty. Perfect Storm Movie tiss the season.

So you watch the weather the story from the routing tosser is good you figure you can get across to Bermuda without a big ol nasty huricane.

The tropical waves and depresions are still Fugly. Lots of severe thunderstorms. Particaulrly in the Evenings. This area you will see lightning in all directions almost every night in september. Thunders storms and squals are nasty. The Bermuda trianlge is not just a myth. most disapearances were in this time of year. No Aliens. No Abductions, No Mosters or Difrent dimensions. Just fugly weather and no particular mystry about it.

You have a nice big fast boat does it have air conditioning. Do you have Radar, Turn it on at night and track them. Plot them manualy if its on a steady bearing get your sails down and your hatches battened. Getting caught with to much sail at night by a thunder bust. The Down Blast can knock you down and hold you flat. If you are caught with hatches open?

You get past Those.

Next stop Azores. You must be into late September now. Or worse early
October. Only time I ever called the skipper and really meant it. Was about 100 miles N of the Azores in early October. 30 Years ago so memory a bit foggy might have been late September. Probably the worst **** kicking I ever took. Called the Old man 3 times in one watch wanting to Slow Down or alter course.
He said no. After He Turned In for The night I truned the course recorder off. The Mate reset it for 0700. It was a long night. I thought we might go down that night. Only time I was ever really worried.

Old Mariners tale Equinoctial storms are the worst. The weather gurus might not agree. How many of them have ever crossed the N atlantic in the Off season. I used to do it regularly.

I quite about 30 years ago.

I could be wrong you might have a lovely trip. It will be interesting. If I were you I would want a very expierienced person on watch if I was going to sleep in the evening.

Sorry I don't like to pour cold water on ideas. Hopefully I haven't offended you again. I don't like to come across as some dick head ex mariner. Who knows every thing. I am just a recreational sailor today. But you did ask for the opinion of someone who has crossed the N Atlantic in September.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 05:43   #8

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
... But going to the Azores from Newfoundland isn't the normal route. Check Cornells route AN141.
Not "normal" but many have done it, both to and from. There is nothing against it, beam reach all the way. From Bermuda, you have to go north then hang a right... from NFLD is downhill and may be able to do in one tack if planned properly..

Nfld to Azores = 1600 miles
Bermuda to Azores = 1900 miles + 600 miles from east coast to Bermuda.

SVTatia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 06:08   #9
cruiser

Cornell suggests July-August is ideal for a 1054 mile run from St John Newfoundland to the Azores, just watch for southern hurricanes in September. That’s a 5-6 day sail on our boat, then reassess Azores to Gib.

We have 525 gallons of diesel onboard in case we need to use the iron jib.
Old 27-07-2018, 06:11   #10

I don't see why not then. You probably can carry that much diesel in case the wind doesn't cooperate.
Old 27-07-2018, 06:26   #11

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I’ll look into this possibility, but friends ability to get time off work might necessitate shortening the overall duration of the trip.

I’m still hoping the sun will actually come out sometime this summer here in Maine. Hopefully, we’ll experience nicer weather in Canada, Maine is awful, pea soup fog and rain every day.
LOL, you must have brought it with you because up until this past Sunday it's been about the hottest and sunniest summer I can remember. Day after day, with no rain at all so lawns are all dried out and gardens need to be watered regularly. Mother nature had supplied no free freshwater washdowns at all so I've had to go to the dock to
do it myself. After more than a month off, I had to work for 3 days this past week and attend to a few obligations yesterday and today but will return to our boat tonight once my wife's shift at outpatient surgery ends. Are you anywhere near South Brooksville? I'd love to see your new boat! Weather forecast says that this recent cycle of rain/fog should end today and mostly sunny with highs in the 80's for the next week.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 08:07   #12
cruiser

We’re anchored in Rockland Harbor. The fog finally lifted one hour ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58292F9C-4307-4F43-8B04-232A452A47BD.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	174431  
Old 27-07-2018, 18:42   #13
cruiser

Heading over to Bucks Harbor on Saturday. The Atlantic crossing is beginning to come together for sometime during the last two weeks of August.
Old 27-07-2018, 18:52   #14

I thought about this a little today as I drove and was wondering why you want to skip going to the British Isles? No judgement, but you have spent many years in the Med and it would seem to be a shame to pass by a chance to sail the Irish Sea, the Outer Hebrides, etc. And also the Atlantic Coast of France, Spain, and Portugal.

I'd love to get back to the Med, but equally want to cruise the above areas along with the Faroes, Norway, and Sweden.
Old 27-07-2018, 19:27   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

living on the southern most tip of the uk and after many biscay adventures generally the north atlantic is pretty benign till about the end of october
azores till about the beggining of december if headed for gib.

the only real risk are hurricanes that become extra tropical in september of which a few have hit the azores in the last few years.

though lots of sahara dust at the moment so incidence seems quite low this year currently
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing