Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 06:44   #1

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'
Celestial Navigation

Good morning, all. I want to learn celestial navigation as a backup to GPS. Being a writer, naturally rather than take a class I want to teach myself with some basic gear and a book.

There are a number of them out there. Since not all books are created equal, my question is this: has any of you found that one or another is a good learning guide for the adventurous sailor who prefers to do it himself?
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:51   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Celestial Navigation

There are lots of videos on celestial navigation on youtube if you'd like to get started now while you're still trying to figure out which book to get.

Example:
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ when people say they 'want to learn celestial' . . . . they can mean two quite different things (1) they just want to know a procedure so they can find where they are roughly . . . . but they don't want/need to understand the geometry and math details behind what they are doing, (2) they want to understand the geometric/math details behind what they are doing and not just follow a 'black box' procedure.

those two different objectives suggest two quite different sets of books.

for #1 let me suggest Celestial Navigation for Yachtsmen by Mary Blewitt (Author). It is the classic. There are several others that do an equally competent job - there is a quite good free pdf on the topic here http://iodlabs.ucsd.edu/mrk/Sailing/...rs_GuideV4.pdf

for #2 let me suggest starpath navigation, which has a number of courses and suggested books for learning about celestial.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:08   #4

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

I knew you all would know! Thanks, guys.

Thomm, I'll do some searching on YouTube. estarzinger, I'm downloading that PDF now and will read over the reviews on Amazon. I see Blewitt is available for Kindle, and starpath.com looks like a great site to serve as a survey of the topic.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Depends on your learning style. Personally, I never could learn anything by rote as I needed a theoretical 'picture' in my head of the overall structure. For that reason, I chose option #2 described by Ezstarzinger. For celestial, I took a course for about US$400 as the books did not answer my theoretical questions.

You really don't need much "gear" as the sextant measurements are only about 1/6 of the work of celestial navigation. Taking an angular measurement of the body is only the beginning of figuring out where you are.

For a free resource, may I suggest Part 4 of American Practical Navigator (Bowditch), available here: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_A...ical_Navigator

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:22   #6

BOOKS

Every so often folks ask: "What book should I buy to learn electrical stuff about my boat?"

The appropriate answer is: "Depends on how you like to learn."

Go to a chandlery and read a few in person, and start by buying one that you think suits your "level" and is "readable" to you.

I have three or four, Blewitt and Burch among them. Each treats the subject differently. Burch has good info on the instruments, Blewitt only on the calcs.

Good luck, it's fun.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:24   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

The Nautical Almanac site is a good source of info.

Will agree w/ J Trusty that learning it from someone who knows how to physically take sights may be better for many. When I learned/helped teach celestial it was many moons ago (more like decades around the Loran C time frame) and there were many more people that used celestial compared to now.

It's still a worthy skill to have and much easier now that there are many spreadsheets/programs to do the sight reductions (thus reducing transcription errors) than when we did the calculations by hand.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:23   #8

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

i have tried several times using books but i agree with thomm225 in post #2 above that Christopher Nolan's youtube videos are very helpful. Altho i have Davis and Freiburger sextants, i was discouraged but now am watching and rewatching his videos, and am understanding it. i'm so encouraged that i just ordered a nautical almanac.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celestial navigation, navigation