Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 10:10   #1

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Any more info on Lost Marbles rescue off Puerto Rico

There was news of a recent capsize and rescue off Puerto Rico.

Caribbean Sea, Puerto Rico: US family rescued transiting from Turks and Caicos to the Dominican Republic —

I haven't been able to find out much more, but it would be worthwile to find out what kind of boat it was and how they got into trouble.

The article gets a bit weird--they used a VHF radio to call mayday, and their messages was picked up by a 650 ft ship, which then took 6 hours to come to their position--huh?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Any more info on Lost Marbles rescue off Puerto Rico

Mayday relay perhaps..???

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 20:47   #3
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Any more info on Lost Marbles rescue off Puerto Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post

Caribbean Sea, Puerto Rico: US family rescued transiting from Turks and Caicos to the Dominican Republic —

I haven't been able to find out much more, but it would be worthwile to find out what kind of boat it was and how they got into trouble.

The article gets a bit weird--they used a VHF radio to call mayday, and their messages was picked up by a 650 ft ship, which then took 6 hours to come to their position--huh?
It would be interesting to hear the whole story for sure. I don't know the crew on Lost Marbles, or the type of boat, and what lead to the sinking. But I have very close friends that were hanging out with them before their crossing to the DR. They crossed the next day and are now in Luperon. My friend Jenny (actually a member here) says in a text to me- It is one hell of a miracle they were found. We've been in contact, they're doing as well as can be and the USCG are taking good care of them. Wish we knew what to do for them from here. It's just awful. Thanks for being you Ralph, your kind words will mean a lot. I just hope everyone will speak as kindly of them

If more comes out publicly, I'll update, but for now, respecting everyone's privacy.

There are many of us out there actively cruising that don't post on forums....and even facebook. Some with only a compass, a VHF, and a PFD.

Whatever happened, must have happened fast if they couldn't manage to get into the dinghy, at least. No "Go Fund Me" page yet, so figure they are good people. Besides, any friend of a friend of mine is a friend of mine.

Important - have a ditch bag close and don't forget it! No amount of money will get you on a plane home if you don't have any ID (Note Recovering their Identification In the article). Think about it.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 21:28   #4

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Six hours is about 120 nm for a cargo ship. We easily pick up VHF radio at the marine rescue where I volunteer from much farther than that. No reason to think that a ship (with a very high mounted aerial) and a yacht with an aerial on top of the mast could not communicate that far. If they used DSC, then it could go even further (we have picked up AIS from 200+ nm on our yacht quite regularly). That been said, very lucky to have ship listening and respond so quickly.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 21:31   #5

Boat: Colegate 26

Wow - what part of Ts&Cs were they at? We were at South Side Marina 28th and 29th and there was a family present that resembled them. I didn't hear their departure plan.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:10   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Important - have a ditch bag close and don't forget it! No amount of money will get you on a plane home if you don't have any ID (Note Recovering their Identification In the article). Think about it.

My takeaway from this, besides the obvious stuff to have in a ditch or go bag, is, before you up anchor or cast off the dock, to put your wallet, containing a valid credit card to an account with sufficient "get you home" funds, plus some cash, your passport and a fully charged handheld in said ditch bag.

Nobody needs to carry a wallet on a moving boat and there's no reason to keep your passport out of the ditch bag, either. So thanks for the reminder.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:17   #7

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post

Sounds like a keel loss to me. Your right, I'm curious what boat.

On Saturday, the crew of the cargo ship Jacamar Arrow rescued a family of three from the upturned hull of a sailing yacht in waters north of Haiti.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:57   #8

I just showed this to my wife and she agrees it's the family we saw at South Side Marina. They were on a catamaran.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:19   #9

They were on a Prout Snowgoose and they were on the way to the DR for Hurricane season. They had a five year old girl on board. The issue was a leaky sea cock from their fridge I believe, the boat sank and they later realized it had probably turned into a crack. The time in the water was due to the ship maneuvering into a safe position to pick them up.
They are a fantastic family who encountered a very difficult situation. Let’s all wish them well and offer them support at this time.
Sunfish75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:41   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Just did that run this year.

I wonder how old the boat was?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish75 View Post
They were on a Prout Snowgoose and they were on the way to the DR for Hurricane season. They had a five year old girl on board. The issue was a leaky sea cock from their fridge I believe, the boat sank and they later realized it had probably turned into a crack. The time in the water was due to the ship maneuvering into a safe position to pick them up.
They are a fantastic family who encountered a very difficult situation. Let’s all wish them well and offer them support at this time.
That's them! I didn't get a chance to talk to them personally but at the little dock gathering one night they seemed like nice people. Hopefully they can recover from this and carry on with their adventures.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish75 View Post
I thought catamarans did not sink?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 15:10   #13

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

yup, that was my question also. If they developed a crack in the seacock i can see that filling one hull up. Wouldn't the other hull still have some buoyancy?

Wish them well. Glad that no one lost their life. Will be interesting to read their updates.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:27   #14

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Not sure how much buoyancy an older Prout would have. We saw this boat in the Bahamas a few years back with it's prior owner before she had to sell, it was a very nice cat in great condition then.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:06   #15

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

This is odd..I'd like to know more.

We have a prout and to my knowledge all have fore and aft watertight compartments. I have heard of a prout 34 filling a hill and still sailing home.

Given this I doubt it capsized. I do wonder if she's still floating upright.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, Puerto Rico, rescue