Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2018, 11:50   #1

Boat: Lagoon 570
Can anyone recommend a USA to Europe freight Shipper

I would like to forward some items originating in the US to my boat in Croatia.
Primary item is a water maker and perhaps some miscellaneous items as well.
Maybe a 4 foot x 4 foot x 2 foot crate. I understand that there are companies in Florida that do this. Do you have experience with this and could you recommend someone? I posted this request in perhaps the wrong area yesterday. Thanks
Timreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 12:31   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Can anyone recommend a USA to Europe freight Shipper

Hello, Timreyn,

You might look into My US, they have received freight for us, re-packed to instruction, and re-shipped. It allows you to take advantage of free shipping within the US, to re-ship to foreign destinations. We had no difficulties with them.

Ann
Old 19-01-2018, 13:47   #3

Thanks I will check into this.
Old 20-01-2018, 10:29   #4

Thanks Ann. MyUS looks like it would be a very good resource for us. I joined. We tried to buy a number of things last year while in Croatia from the USA and found that it was hard to get our goods shipped to us. For good reason many shippers in the US and in Europe don't like to ship to Croatia. Red tape I am sure. MyUS looks to be the perfect answer for us to buy and receive the goods we are used to getting at home. Thank you, I had never heard of them. Tim
Old 20-01-2018, 11:31   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tim-
I think the general term you are looking for is "freight forwarders". Make sure to let them know that your goods are "For yacht in transit" assuming your boat is not registered to Croatia. That is the normal designation for goods to be installed aboard a boat, which commonly also means they are exempted from import duties because they are only passing through a country, not intended to remain there.
Any freight forwarder should be able to check on exactly what wording (and paperwork) the destination country may need for that. Not every country allows that exemption, but most do.
Many airlines also accommodate air cargo. You crate it up, bring it to their cargo terminal, and then pick it up at another cargo terminal at the other end. The freight forwarders usually put smaller cargo together to fill shipping containers, and get a break on the bulk weight, so they can beat an air cargo price.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, men, rope