Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 13:50   #31

Boat: Catalina 42
Re: Advice from Locals on Catalina Island to go or not to go

Lots of good advice. You'll love it. I have been making the trip from San Diego 2 to 3 time a year for 20+ years. First in my 34' Catalina and now in my 42. Love both Avalon and the Isthmus. Very different places. Isthmus is great for hiking and just being alone with nature. Avalon is a neat little resort town. Both have their charm. Just avoid going when there is a Santa Anna forecast and you'll be fine.
george_92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:09   #32

Boat: American Mariner 24'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
How much power do you need? You won't need AC. I say solar panel.
I figured this out last summer, wished I would have wrote it down. I believe I use about 4-5 amps per hour. That is with the mounted VHF, the bilge alarm and pump, the GPS with sonar/depth running. That is no lights, radio (stereo) or charging phones etc...

I have a house battery of 80 amp hours and a dual purpose for the motor that is 65 amp hours I believe. While I do have a switch to link the two batteries (for charging via shore power or while the outboard is running), I keep them isolated so not to run down the starter battery.

Its a small boat, we have the lights, stereo, VHF, GPS/ Sonar, and a couple of 12v fans, and a couple of charging stations for phones / tablets. Not much in the way of electronics. I have been slowing changing all the lights to LEDs, the cabin lights and mast light are LEDs. The masthead and running lights are old school still.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 14:16   #33

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Catalina is a special place especially Two Harbors. Avalon if you want crowds, dining and lots of places to spend money. As noted Two Harbors is crowded in the summer however offers a rustic visit back to the simple life. With that said I have been to the island many, many times from Dana Point, Newport and now where we are berthed in Long Beach. You can go from either point but yes LB is closest. I have encountered all types of weather. Generally calm going over in the morning and probably motoring most of the way most of the time. In the afternoon the wind will (usually) pick up and conditions can change quickly. I have motored back in a glassy sea as well as gale winds 10 miles off the SoCal coast on other times in the summer. Fall is the best time to go especially after Labor day when the kids are back in school (they bring them over by the big boat load weekly). We are going again in a couple of weeks and love it there as well as the challenge to get there at times.
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 19:24   #34

I sailed the same boat over back in 78 a couple of times. I left out of Newport Beach and st ailed up the coast to about Long Beach then cut across to Avalon. Wasn't as crowded back then as it is now. The sub I was on anchored at Avalon for a weekend port call back in 77. It was after that weekend that I decided to sail out to visit the following summer.

Hope you made the trip
USS Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 19:28   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Flasher View Post
I sailed the same boat over back in 78 a couple of times. I left out of Newport Beach and st ailed up the coast to about Long Beach then cut across to Avalon. Wasn't as crowded back then as it is now. The sub I was on anchored at Avalon for a weekend port call back in 77. It was after that weekend that I decided to sail out to visit the following summer.

Hope you made the trip
Welcome aboard USS Flasher!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 15:22   #36

Ahoy USS Flasher. 625 (b), 646 & 681 here.

My question to those who know, are the ramps safe for leaving my trailer and truck at the parking area for a week or two? Caballero was mentioned and I'm familiar with that ramp only.

I'm more concerned about leaving the vehicle than the sailing to the Channel Islands.
Subsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 18:01   #37

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We recently completed our circumnavigation - 48,000 miles and 38 countries - and the ‘rolliest’ anchorages we ever anchored in were in Catalina. Actually, that’s not exactly true - anchoring off of Fernando de Naranha near Brazil was worse. Regardless, my family and I made the passage from San Diego to Catalina for probably more than 20 years in a row and have fabulous memories of visiting there, the rolly anchorages notwithstanding.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 00:02   #38

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We recently completed our circumnavigation - 48,000 miles and 38 countries - and the ‘rolliest’ anchorages we ever anchored in were in Catalina. Actually, that’s not exactly true - anchoring off of Fernando de Naranha near Brazil was worse. Regardless, my family and I made the passage from San Diego to Catalina for probably more than 20 years in a row and have fabulous memories of visiting there, the rolly anchorages notwithstanding.

Fair winds and calm seas.
No wonder so many folks here have never heard of flopper stoppers!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 15:35   #39

Subsafe - 613 the first sub safe boat and 621
USS Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, catalina, catalina island