Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2016, 09:36   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Shipping to Martinique, From US

We are soon to be moving onboard our boat, located in Martinique. We are presently in Phoenix, Arizona. We need to ship 3 round containers that are 24" in diameter X 35" tall. Weight will be in the 200-250lbs range per container. What is the most economical way to ship them? We can ship up to 30 days ahead of time so that we are there when they arrive.

Any advise on shipping or concerns we should be thinking about?

Craig
AZ_Zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 07:58   #2

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: Shipping to Martinique, From US

To follow up on my own question, I’ll respond with what I have found out.

UPS or FedEx is not even an option due to the cost! Cost more than the value of the items we were shipping.
Our time in Martinique was limited as we needed to be in Grenada by the first of June. We decided to ship Grenada so that if we had any custom issues or just shipping issues we had time to wait it out.
We choose to ship via container ship, Tropical Shipping out of Florida. Un-believable prices to Grenada and only takes 8 days. We are having our belonging trucked to Florida where Tropical will ship on down. By the way, the people at Tropical Shipping are great to work with! Very easy to get all the documents needed for the process online at their website.
Once in Grenada it was recommended to us to use a customs broker to coordinate receiving of our containers. We have contact one and it seems like a fair price to pay, 2.5% of the value of the containers plus they will coordinate getting it to our boat.
Details of interest is to make sure all documents say that the shipment is in-transit to our boat! All items need to have a value on them. The lower the value the lower the possible fees. I’ve heard that the customs fee can be from 0% up to 6% in Grenada depending on how the customs official feels that day.

So that’s where we are now. I’ll update again after we receive our belongings in June.

Craig
AZ_Zoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Martinique, shipping