Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 05:06   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Sailing to Russia

I'm probably going to sail to Vyborg tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous about it.

Most people use an agent to clear in, usually the guy Vladimir Ivankiv who is supposed to be so helpful. But Ivan is in St. Petersburg and unable to help me in Vyborg.

I've read the instructions over and over again, including the very good ones on the Cruising Association cruising guide, and it doesn't actually seem so much different as I thought, just a lot more documents than usual. I do speak fluent Russian.

I have entered Russia by car, train, and airplane many times since 1980, and I've always found the border guards to be exceptionally friendly. I've never had a bad experience. I hope this will not be the first one.

If anyone has any tips, especially anyone who has cleared in at Vyborg, I would be very grateful for them!
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing to Russia

Here's to you having a Grand sail... and a trouble free arrival..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:28   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Sailing to Russia

Presumably vodka will smooth over any small issues

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I am jealous...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:07   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Well, this is going to be interesting . . .

I called to the "Favorit" yacht club in Vyborg, which is the old Soviet Sea Yacht Club, right at the castle. They put me on with the director of the club. I was just calling to ask whether there is a berth or not, but after confirming that there is a free berth (and 33% cheaper than what is said in the club's website), he asked the name of my boat and number of people, and said he would arrange everything with customs. When I asked how much his services as agent would cost, he said, "Oh nothing, it's part of our job. A bottle if you're in a good mood." He told me exactly where to go and how to proceed. He will personally bring the customs and immigration people and will inform the Russian Coast Guard that we will be crossing the sea border.

So this is not looking as difficult as I feared and it looks like we're off tomorrow. I'll post about our adventures.
Old 03-07-2014, 16:02   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Sounds fantastic, keep us all informed

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2014, 16:47   #6

Boat: Catalina 380

Be sure to let us know how this turns out. I am sure many of on here are interested.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 16:57   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

People in most places love it when a foreigner speaks their language, and that will continue to enhance your experience, Dockhead.

Have a good one!

Jim
Old 04-07-2014, 03:32   #8

...sounds great, I 'll stand by and listen
Wanna get info 's to german forums.

Have a nice trip
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:37   #9

Ever since reading Racundra's First Cruise by Arthur Ransome, I have wanted to sail in the Baltic.

I think though I would be challenged with only English and French.
Saa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:42   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saa Bear View Post
I have wanted to sail in the Baltic.

I think though I would be challenged with only English and French.
almost everyone here in the Nordic/baltic countries speaks fluent english. French won't help you much - but you'll have no problem speaking only english.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:13   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I've cleared into Vyborg on a tug, this was about 2 years ago, and with the help of an agent.
Never saw customs, but theimmigration people were friendly.
It was a lot easier than clearing into some countries in West Africa.
As you speak fluent Russian, I'm sure it will be real easy.
Enjoy the time there.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10   #12

Boat: Oyster 53

Stories and pictures if you can please! It sounds fascinating.

How did you learn fluent Russian, a skill not normally found amongst UK sailors?

I speak fluent Mandarin but there is no way in h#ll I would want to ever take my boat there!

Enjoy.

Dhillen
Old 04-07-2014, 12:21   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So I'm tied up in Vyborg, under the beautiful castle.

I was nervous about the customs and immigration clearance, and dealing with the Russian Coast Guard, but in the event there were no problems at all.

I cleared out of Finland at Santio Island, and headed out into the Fairway #4 to cross the border into Russia. Within 100 meters of crossing the border, I get a call from the Coast Guard -- "Yacht X, Russian Coast Guard, Priyem". I answered, "Yacht X, we speak Russian". "Nu khorosho" [well, OK]. "Where are you going?" I answer: "Vyborg". "Nu khorosho. Have a nice journey. Russian Coast Guard out."

And that was the only contact I had with the Russian Coast Guard, whose cutters sport amazingly big guns on their foredecks.

I followed Fairway #4, gybing many, many times. Then I came to this strange place, Vysotsk, where you have to sail right through one port and out the other end, through a narrow channel, in order to resume your journey towards Vyborg. Just before Vysotsk I was almost run down by a Russian tanker, which was not following the channel, but cutting across it. I was loathe to deviate because (a) as a foreign vessel not cleared in, I am forbidden from leaving the fairway; (b) I am sailing downwind single-handed, and gybing is not an instantaneous affair. But approaching from behind, the tanker gave one blast (?), and I realized that I had better figure out how to get out of the way. Crash gybe, and out of the fairway, in violation of Russian law, and he just keeps coming, pushing me almost onto the rocks, moving through the wrong side of the channel. WTF? What in the world was that? Saw the English flag and decided to replay the Crimean War? I have no idea.

Then the heavens opened; one of the hardest rains I've ever seen. So keeping up the unbroken record of rain every day for the last month.

In Vyborg, tied up to the customs quay under the ramparts of the gorgeous medieval castle, where we were met by the director of the yacht port, a cheerful retired Soviet Air Force helicopter pilot with 18000 hours (as I was to find out). And waited for more than an hour for customs to show up.

Who grumble that I have not brought copies of any relevant documents: "You knew you were coming to Russia, a bureaucratic state!". But open their office to make the necessary copies on their own machine. Walk me through the various declarations, patiently.

And it's all over in about 45 minutes. They didn't even come on board. At the very end one of them says -- "you don't have anything, there, on board, forbidden?" I said "of course not; come on board and see for yourself." And "nu ladno, have a pleasant evening." And that was that.

So in sum: Clearing through Russian customs on a yacht is not nearly as horrible as I expected. In fact, not horrible at all. So in future, I will not be as hesitant to sail into these waters, not at all.
Old 04-07-2014, 14:27   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Wonderful. Would it have been as easy if you only spoke English? I guess the question is did all the officials speak English?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 16:47   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
So I'm tied up in Vyborg, under the beautiful castle.

Just before Vysotsk I was almost run down by a Russian tanker, which was not following the channel, but cutting across it. I was loathe to deviate because (a) as a foreign vessel not cleared in, I am forbidden from leaving the fairway; (b) I am sailing downwind single-handed, and gybing is not an instantaneous affair. But approaching from behind, the tanker gave one blast (?), and I realized that I had better figure out how to get out of the way. Crash gybe, and out of the fairway, in violation of Russian law, and he just keeps coming, pushing me almost onto the rocks, moving through the wrong side of the channel. ...............

This bit would have been much easier if only you had taken me with you; still there is always next time

hint
hint
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Russia, sail, sailing