Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 03:54   #1

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Appropriate clothing in Morocco

Question for those women who have cruised in Morocco, preferably within past 2 years -- Is it considered okay for western women visitors to wear ankle length pants and shirts covering to elbow? Or are we supposed to fully cover arms to wrists and wear skirts to ankles?

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Appropriate clothing in Morocco

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:22   #3

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Re: Appropriate clothing in Morocco

Pretty women in mexico. Many. And they don't go boom.

wandering and wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Appropriate clothing in Morocco

On a more serious note.. loose trousers.. long sleeve shirt.. can always roll up the sleeves and minimum cleavage.. also a head scarf or light weight shawl of some kind to cover your hair in certain area's... once there have a look at the Kaftans.. comfortable/acceptable and attractive..
Morocco is pretty liberal

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Question for those women who have cruised in Morocco, preferably within past 2 years -- Is it considered okay for western women visitors to wear ankle length pants and shirts covering to elbow? Or are we supposed to fully cover arms to wrists and wear skirts to ankles?

Judy
hi judy
though not of the fairer sex, i have visited there many times with my wife and female crewmembers.

morocco is quite complex,as it has a massive coastline,all of the stops along it are fairly western and with a medittereanian feel,so along the promenades and beaches you will see the teenage local girls wearing anything from bikinis to shorts and tshirts,followed by older women in jallabeya with headscarves.

in the towns you will find women wearing the latest paris "chik" in the bars and restaurants!
however most will have a headscarf in their bag that they will don on the walk home.

if you travel inland,or visit a souk more conservative dress is probably reccomended,ieshirt with long sleves,closed neck , long pants,and a headscarf,more out of respect,than nessecity,but no point in drawing undue attention.

by middle eastern standards morrocco is very european by comparison,untill you go further inland where the berber women wear more traditional islamic dress
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:02   #6

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30
Appropriate clothing in Morocco

Atoll has it exactly correct. I lived in Morocco and still own a vacation home in Agadir. Morocco is all about the appropriate attire for the venue. A French cut bikini on the beach is absolutely fine (although don't be surprised if you're the center of attention). A mini-skirt is great in the nightclubs. In the souks and villages it's wise to be conservative. It's a wonderful country relatively unscathed by the unfortunate events and illiberal forces that are destroying the rest of North Africa and the Middle East.
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:26   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
t's a wonderful country relatively unscathed by the unfortunate events and illiberal forces that are destroying the rest of North Africa and the Middle East.
you mean what was there before was liberal !!! ( sorry couldn't resist)

Dave
Old 02-04-2014, 05:27   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30

All things are relative.
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:02   #9

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
On a more serious note.. loose trousers.. long sleeve shirt.. can always roll up the sleeves and minimum cleavage.. also a head scarf or light weight shawl of some kind to cover your hair in certain area's... once there have a look at the Kaftans.. comfortable/acceptable and attractive..
Morocco is pretty liberal
Wifey B: Just reading that is making me claustrophobic.....hehe

It also varies based on where as the cities are less conservative than the rural areas. And the time of week or whether a holiday. But conservative by our standards, monastery like by my standards. And while brunette may not need scarf, blonde will. If you have large breasts then loose top is probably in order. But in the city many of the younger girls dress pretty liberal compared to the rural areas.

In Morocco your dress is more likely to get stares than any derision or problem. In rural areas, it's more likely to insult your hosts. But it's not like other countries where the reaction would likely be much stronger. I think also be prepared to smile and talk to those who might stare, especially the kids. I've been told as a tall, busty, blue eyed blonde, that it wouldn't matter how much I dressed down or conservatively, that kids would especially be curious in some areas. Simply I would be so different than the women around them. But the curiosity of kids is a beautiful thing and a chance to teach.

I think most don't expect us to adhere to their customs of dress completely, but don't like us openly flaunting them either. Be respectful, even if it hurts.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:07   #10

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
Atoll has it exactly correct. I lived in Morocco and still own a vacation home in Agadir. Morocco is all about the appropriate attire for the venue. A French cut bikini on the beach is absolutely fine (although don't be surprised if you're the center of attention). A mini-skirt is great in the nightclubs. In the souks and villages it's wise to be conservative. It's a wonderful country relatively unscathed by the unfortunate events and illiberal forces that are destroying the rest of North Africa and the Middle East.
And the younger women, just like ours in a way. They leave home dressed one way, hit the club wearing less, cover up some on the way back home in case their parents are still up.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 00:14   #11

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Thanks Atol, CR38 and BandB for the responses. So, basically sounds a lot like here in Turkey or what it was like in Malaysia. Just be respectful and conservative in clothing choices. Being fully covered neck to elbow to ankle can get really hot, especially for an old woman who is hot all the time anyway. Thanks!

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clothing, Morocco