Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2019, 21:29   #1

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
Mantus 65lb anchor

I just bought a 65LB Mantus anchor for my Tayana 37 sailboat and upon opening it, I though, crap, what have I done. This is a big girl! For my displacement, it should be good for up to 50 Knots. Now... if I can get that sucker to hang on my bow roller maybe I won't scare any more cruisers off when I anchor by them. (IE Georgetown during regatta) with my good ol' 45 LB CQR!
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 22:58   #2

Boat: Dufour 455 GL
Re: Mantus 65lb anchor

I had a similar experience when I bought a 33 kg Rocna for my 45' boat, to replace a 20 kg Delta that looked inadequate.

The chandlery called me to say the new anchor had arrived, if I wanted to pick it up. I got there and was confronted by a wooden chest on a pallet sitting on the pavement outside their front door. They cracked open the chest, and my first thought was that I just wasted almost a thousand euro because there was no way in hell I'd be able to fit that thing on my boat!

It fits, just, barely, scraping the underside of the pulpit a bit as it goes up and down. I sleep well at anchor.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 08:24   #3

On Mantus guide the right size for your boat should be the 35lbs;
it's common sense to choose at least one size more (45lbs in your case);
if you want to be extra sure you can choose two size more (55lbs);
but you chose the 65lbs(!?!), did you realy need to open the box for knowing what you did?

If it's yet in the box you'd better ask for an exchange.
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 20:29   #4

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16

I sized it for a storm anchor, not just normal stuff. But yes its big, I should sleep good with that big girl. The anchor bolts together and stores flat in a locker when apart if need be. Go big or stay home!
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 05:26   #5

My mistake, I understood you used it as all days main anchor
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 06:14   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

If your boat and crew can manage it without undue effort, then I say it’s perfect .

I’ve got a 55# Rocna for my Rafiki-37, which is quite similar to your Tayana. This anchor has been great for me, but if/when I replace it I would probably go one more size up (it is already slightly oversized). My windlass and roller (and my back ) can manage a Rocna 33 (~65#), so why not?
Old 18-09-2019, 06:30   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I guess the next step is an oversize all-chain rode and some shackles that break toes when dropped. Then a bigger windlass. Then modify the bow pulpit. Then get more liability insurance because of the damage you can do with that sucker while docking. Then add ballast to the stern because your bow won't clear a five foot wave. Then you need more bottom paint because you waterline just came up 10 inches. Good thing you can afford all this stuff!

No, really, you're going to sleep better. I keep an oversized plow strapped down on the foredeck, because someday my right-sized plow and Dansforth may not hold when I need them. And, let's hear it for all chain rode.
Old 18-09-2019, 16:32   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eagle View Post
On Mantus guide the right size for your boat should be the 35lbs;
it's common sense to choose at least one size more (45lbs in your case);
if you want to be extra sure you can choose two size more (55lbs);
but you chose the 65lbs(!?!), did you realy need to open the box for knowing what you did?

If it's yet in the box you'd better ask for an exchange.
Don't quite agree. The 35lb is recommended for day anchoring up to 20,000lbs. The Tayana, fully equipped is a bit north of 25,000. The 45lb is cruising anchoring recommendation less than 20,000. The 55lb would be about right but light for a storm anchor (recommended less than 20,000 lbs). 65lb is what i'd go with although I'd be comfortable with the 55. My cat, at 35,000 loaded has the 85lb
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 16:33   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

As tkeithlu said "go big". You will be at anchor more than at sea. Peace of mind is worth an extra pound or two.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 22:10   #10

Boat: Corbin 39

I’ve never heard someone tell me they wish they had a smaller anchor , it’s big and has excellent holding power . It’s also not 3 sizes too big , a Tayana 37 still must be in the 22 or 23 000 lb zone
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 22:23   #11

Boat: Island Packet 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
I just bought a 65LB Mantus anchor for my Tayana 37 sailboat and upon opening it, I though, crap, what have I done. This is a big girl! For my displacement, it should be good for up to 50 Knots. Now... if I can get that sucker to hang on my bow roller maybe I won't scare any more cruisers off when I anchor by them. (IE Georgetown during regatta) with my good ol' 45 LB CQR!
As someone who lives on the hook, I want to thank you for getting a proper anchor. I'm one of those people that eyes what type of anchor someone has if they are anchoring near me. Modern anchors are no problem.
I was in an anchorage with 11 boats last year when we got 12 hours of 35-55 kt winds. Every boat with a legacy anchor (CQR/Bruce/Delta) dragged, 5 total. Every boat with a modern anchor (Rocna, Mantus), stayed put. Sand bottom.
highside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 23:00   #12

Boat: no boat any more

Elan 410, 40' x 13' x 7', all up in bluewater-mode ~20.000lbs, Mantus 65lbs
good night sleeps
anchor too big? How would anybody know, except by downsizing one step at the time until dragging, then going one size up. Anybody experimenting along these lines please anchor downwind of us at all times.
You did the right thing, rearsteer!
Old 18-10-2019, 12:01   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

It sounds like it is the right size for a storm (or everyday) anchor. We have a mantus 30kg. and we sleep well at night

remember the old saying: When all the other boaters start laughing at the size of your anchor - it's probably about the right size!

we've spent almost 1000 nights at anchor and if you anchor every night as if you're anchoring for a storm - you'll sleep really well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 23:13   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
we've spent almost 1000 nights at anchor and if you anchor every night as if you're anchoring for a storm - you'll sleep really well
Ann and I have spent on the order of 10,000 nights at anchor and I agree with the above. Use your"storm" anchor each and every time you drop the hook. When an unexpected thunderstorm hits at 0-dark-30 you'll be glad you did. The rest of the time it may be overkill but it won't hurt you to have it out. And for Pete's sake, having an extra 20 or 30 pounds on your bow will not make a perceptible change in anything. This is a heavy cruising boat, not a carbon hull racer.

OP, don't let the arm chair experts talk you out of your decision or your anchor. I think it shows good seamanship.

Jim
Old 19-10-2019, 04:47   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ann and I have spent on the order of 10,000 nights at anchor and I agree with the above. Use your"storm" anchor each and every time you drop the hook. When an unexpected thunderstorm hits at 0-dark-30 you'll be glad you did. The rest of the time it may be overkill but it won't hurt you to have it out. And for Pete's sake, having an extra 20 or 30 pounds on your bow will not make a perceptible change in anything. This is a heavy cruising boat, not a carbon hull racer.

OP, don't let the arm chair experts talk you out of your decision or your anchor. I think it shows good seamanship.
Just want to add .

Go with the biggest bower your crew and your boat reasonably manage. If your crew and windlass and roller and holder and attachment points, etc. can all manage a 65# without undue effort, then in ain’t too big. You’ll sleep well, and the slightly added weight won’t make any perceptible difference.

Tags
anchor, Mantus