Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2019, 07:48   #1

Question Bayliner 2859 Anchoring System

Hello, I am new to boating and have purchased a 2003 Bayliner 2859. We are still trying to figure out all of the systems and have been reading as much as possible from manuals, forums, etc. as well as getting time on the water.

But I can't seem to figure out how to let the anchor down. There is the Windlass button at the helm and the up and down buttons on the bow by the anchor locker. I have tried the switch at the helm and the one on the bow but nothing happens. I think I am missing something simple but can't figure out what. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!!
chadandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 10:22   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Bayliner 2859 Anchoring System

I would look to see if there is a circuit breaker or fuse for the windlass ( There usually is) and make sure its switched on.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 21:21   #3

Thank you PCMM. Fuses are good. We thought it was the solenoid so we changed it out. The solenoid clicks so I know it is getting power so I am thinking it is the motor.
Rentsaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:39   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The solenoid may be powered by the up/down switch(es). The motor is going to have a heavy cable directly to a battery or junction point, with a fuse or breaker in between.

The problem may well be the motor, but make sure the heavy cable is energized before taking anything apart. And don't forget the #1 rule in all marine electrical troubleshooting: Check for a good, clean ground.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 13:40   #5

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Do the toe switches send power directly to the motor or activate a relay that sends power to motor? If the toe switches are carrying the load the contacts can get burnt from arcing and not make contact to complete the circuit. A little more information will help in troubleshooting your problem.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 22:58   #6

My 2859 has a circuit breaker inside the back hatch in the cockpit, where the battery switches are. This is the main power to the motor. The switches on the bow and the dash if equipped, energize a relay up inside the anchor locker, that directs power to the windlass motor if said power is available. The clicking that you hear may simply be the relay functioning. If you actually do have main windlass power to the relay, and nothing going to the windlass motor, that relay may be in need of replacement as well.
Senorjeem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring