Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 10:41   #1

Boat: Hunter 49
How to test DSC functionality on chartplotter

Looking for ideas/help on how to test my DSC functionality (without going through an official DSC test function and alerting authorities). The vessel is USCG registered but not located in US waters.
I recently purchased a new iCom M424G VHF radio (with built in GPS) and (hopefully) connected it correctly to my Raymarine AxiomPro chart plotter so I can also see any DSC distress calls on the AxiomPro MFD. MMSI # is programmed into the new VHF radio. I also have a DSC/AIS MOB device that is programmed with my vessel MMSI#, but don't have a way to test that device either (that it will show up on the chart plotter if activated)
Thank you for any suggestions..
drapem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:31   #2

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30
Re: How to test DSC functionality on chartplotter

Test transmissions on VHF DSC calling channel 70 should be made to another VHF DSC radio by using a routine individual call to their Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI). For VHF DSC radios equipped with the Test Call feature, test transmissions should be made to the US Coast Guard MMSI 003669999 to receive an automated VHF DSC test respons
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 21:07   #3
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

I have a very similar set up (Axiom chartplotter and Camino 108S AIS transceiver with DSC functionality) and was wondering the same. My understanding is that there is no way unless someone triggers a DSC distress call.

Existing DSC testing functionality @moctrams mentions is not applicable here since the question is to see the distress signal on the chart plotter, not to initiate one.

If anyone knows a way, please do tell!
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:23   #4

Boat: Hunter 49

It’s my understanding that a DSC call to an individual MMSI number on 70 from another VHF radio would alert that individual radio but not provide any distress signal (or any alert signal) on a connected chart plotter. Here lies my issue and question - How do I test my DSC functionality for distress alerts showing up on my raymarine axiom pro chart plotter? I’ve followed the instructions for wiring the iCom VHF radio to axiom pro from raymarine tech services but can’t confirm it’s working.
drapem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:55   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Ask a neighbour boat what their mmsi is, then call them via dsc (place a mmsi direct call, just like you do on the mobile).

If your dsc works, their unit will respond. Their unit will then display your (caller) mmsi id too.

If not, either yours or their unit is not wired correctly.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:06   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Have your neighbor send a position report message to your MMSI number. If that position shows up on your chart plotter then any position report should show up.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 22:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Have your neighbor send a position report message to your MMSI number. If that position shows up on your chart plotter then any position report should show up.
I noticed many of the Icoms don't support a position report. If so, you can send a Position Request.

These are the only test you can do that will show up on your chart plotter. The DSC Call mentioned previously will only show on the vhf, and will not have Position information.
diesel45mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 13:39   #8

Has anyone had any luck with the coast guard test to above MMSI, i can send a test call fine but its just sits there saying acknowledge and no response as I had expected?
nickvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 16:56   #9
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvh View Post
Has anyone had any luck with the coast guard test to above MMSI, i can send a test call fine but its just sits there saying acknowledge and no response as I had expected?
Yes, I could initiate a test call and receive a reply. It was a while back so don’t remember the details but it is a test call (explicit DSC operation) to the number given by Coast Guard. I also tried the same from a handheld but it didn’t work, I thought it was a out the range.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, dsc, fun