Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 05:21   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27
Cold temperature sealant

What is a good sealant to use in a cold climate ? I need to do some repairs to my boat over the winter months which involve using a sealant. I typically would use 3M 4200 for these jobs, but the low temp application of 4200 is 42 deg. All of the sealants I have looked at has a low temp limit of 40 deg, except one. The product is LEXEL by Sashco products. In reading the product label it appears that this would be the sealant to use over the winter months here in NE. It has an application range of 0 F to 120 F with a complete cure cycle of 1 - 2 wks. Does anyone have any experience with this product or can recommend a cold temp sealant that will be exposed to temps below 32 deg over the cure cycle?
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 05:28   #2

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: Cold temperature sealant

You might consider buytl rubber tape, it does not have to cure. Depending on the application it can be an excellent sealant. It stays soft so that where you have movement such as at chain plates it reseals itself.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 06:10   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
You might consider buytl rubber tape, it does not have to cure. Depending on the application it can be an excellent sealant. It stays soft so that where you have movement such as at chain plates it reseals itself.
Yep, the above was what went through my mind. Though what you use is also dependent on what you're mounting & where. Which would help in terms of answers. Including that some sealants are incompatible with various specific materials.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 08:02   #4

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

Going to use Buytl tape on the deck hardware and wherever I can, but what about areas where a caulk type sealant would be more practical
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 01:16   #5

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

I have used lexel with success when enroute across the gulf of Alaska. It likes to pick up dust, as it dries very grippy. But it can be applied below 0, AND TO WET SURFACES.

Asked sashco about salt water and below water, they hadn't done any testing. It is very difficult to tool the surface, it skins over quickly. Great product though.
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sealant