Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 13:05   #1

My first Adriatic Croatian Bora... What should I know?

People are saying the infamous "Bura" wind is coming. We are currently in Split Croatia. I'm getting all opinions from "pack up and go home" to "nothing to worry about in the summer"

What should I know?

Any advice / experiences?
jgw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 13:38   #2

Re: My first Adriatic Croatian Bora... What should I know?

No need to panic. There are lots of bays on the WSW parts of most islands where you can anchor. It also tends to be strongest further north (island of Pag).

You can also wait it out in Split - it’s likely not to last more than a day.
Fulvio Dobrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 13:42   #3
cruiser

Looks like only on Wednesday, if worried go into a marina especially if you don’t have plenty of anchoring experience or a good anchor.

Marina Kastela on the north side of the bay across from Split would be a good choice for the day, then spend Wednesday enjoying Split via Uber. In the old town/Split waterfront, you won’t even notice the Bora.

I’m in Gouvia, Corfu where it should be a non-event, but just in case... I re-anchored this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F531927D-7DAA-4825-B37B-B02BE411C7B5.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	195576  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 13:48   #4

Was just checking the weather, there will be a few quite windy days coming, even in your area which normally has lower windspeeds compared to the northern part.
Never the less make sure you are in a safe spot, marina or a bay which gives you a good protection from the waves.
Best stay away from the buoy, every year boats start to drag and don't forget you are responsible and not the owner of them. I would prefer to look for a nice bay and anchor there or maybe a marina if you find a nice spot.

Good luck
Fliegerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 14:24   #5

Good advice from everyone, thanks! Such good info from people with direct experience.

Does anyone have experience with the town quay in Split? Noonsite mentions two different areas and my 777 guidebook doesn't mention anything.

After a few quiet days, a couple louder evenings on the quay by the palace sounds nice, but the depth on the chart looks shallow on most of the non commercial space. On paper looks like a good place to ride out some north wind?

Kenomac- we were there about a month ago. Fun place and we loved Paxos / Antipaxos just to the south.
Old 08-07-2019, 22:15   #6
cruiser

The area you’re thinking about is only 3-4 ft deep and presently occupied by local small fishing boats. There’s also another quay area just a hundred meters away for a few boats, but I wouldn’t dock there with all the foot traffic, so go early and have a fall back plan. Anything else around there closer to the marina will be expensive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C2BC1731-CEE1-40A1-BFC0-9BA860769D89.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	195596  
Old 09-07-2019, 00:31   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Marina Kastela would be a good choice not many charter boats home there so loads of space and reasonable casual berthing rates. Milna on Brac either get there early or book, Marina Vlaska, NCM marina and ACI marina. The only place I think yachts are allowed on the wall in Split is just north of the ACI marina, expensive and could very bouncy. Else head for Hvar and either on the wall in Stari Grad or on buoys in Stari Grad (get there early). Or on the buoys in Tiha or Zavala bays but there is not much else there.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:10   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Keep a eye on the DHMZ Croatian forecast wind charts which helps identifying issues up to 3 days in advance
http://http://meteo.hr/prognoze_e.ph...web_uv10_SPLI_
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:22   #9
cruiser

All I can see in the Split area is some unsettled air and thunderstorms over the next 48 hours. Here near Corfu on the the other hand.... I’m glad I found a suitable hiding spot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	21E854D2-2D09-4A2B-BC25-E5AE6702DE94.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	195598   Click image for larger version

Name:	25F43FC2-92CA-406F-9B56-635350B7BDDA.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	195599  

Old 09-07-2019, 12:41   #10

Boat: Antares 44i

Just left Split 4 days ago to head north. Buras are definitely forceful. You want good protection to the N and Ne, as that is where the wind comes from usually. I was not crazy about Split as a place to stay. Only the ACI Marina is really secure IMO, and the quays are pretty filled with tripper boats and mega yachts. I’d look in Trogir, specifically Marina Trogir which we left this morning. Good place! I’d get in tomorrow or Thursday, though. Friday and Saturday are charter turn over days in Split and Trogir, and you’ll need to be in before to get a place. Also, www.meteo.hr has the official marine forecast in English, including warnings.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 13:08   #11

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. We cruised down to split to check it out and did not like the look of the quay one bit. Wound up at Marina Kastela and will stay tonight and tomorrow.

Wind just shifted from West to East and lots of lightning, but nice calm conditions and a low stress evening. I really appreciate all the conversation / advice.
Old 09-07-2019, 19:26   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Yes, one should always be careful. But dont panic even 55 to 60 knots bora are not really a big problem. You will usually have short waves near the shore and bora means usually nice sunny weather.

Too much rumours about this bora thing. BUT always ever stay tuned with meteo.hr and SplitRadio. They will tell you when it get's really nasty a few hours before.

That is for summertime and the so called white bura. In wintertime you will have low pressure black bura too and these might get really, really nasty.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adriatic, Croatia