Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2018, 15:45   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43
New Caledonia & Vanuatu guides / charts.

Merry Christmas to all. Hope Santa left lots of nice toys for everyone! We're looking at going across to New Caledonia and Vanuatu around May next year dpt from Brisbane. Looking for cruising guides, charts, advice on anchorages, what to do and not do etc. This will be our first blue water cruise so any and all feedback very welcome. Cheers, Roy
AussieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 15:57   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: New Caledonia & Vanuatu guides / charts.

Check this:
https://cruising-newcaledonia.com/
Well worth the money.
I met the author and his wife while on their boat. Very knowledgeable and nice people.
Old 25-12-2018, 16:04   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catana 47

Hi Aussi Cat, I'm living and sailing in New Caledonia since many years. You will have so many anchorage to chose from that you could spend years here. The waters are crystal clear and plenty of fish. Often you can anchor in sand from 2-20m depth. Many mooring balls are availible for free on the islands close to Noumea. Tradewinds from SE between 10-20kn, often close to 30kn when approaching Nouméa. On the other hand when winds comes from the west things get more difficult since sheltered anchorage can be rare if you're sailing on the west coast. Please follow the weather forcasts. At the moment locals are not letting you anchor in Ilse de Pins unless if you stay in Kuto bay. Local cotumes most be respected as well on the Loyauties Islands.
The Rocket Cruising Guide is very helpfull.
Best regards,
Thomas
Chablis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 16:17   #4

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I think there are several identical threads started, or I am getting confused.
This is what I posted:
Check this:
Well worth the money.
I met the author and his wife while on their boat. Very knowledgeable and nice people.

I agree with what Chablis wrote, but I have seen yachts and particular cats anchored in several bays other than Kuto Bay (that was earlier this year). However... if he lives there, that would be better information!
There are also some anchorages marked on Zuluwaterways at https://www.zuluwaterways.com/map
Old 25-12-2018, 17:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catana 47

In August this year the Chefferie (wise old men represting all tribes on the ilsand) of Iles de Pins took the descion to forbid any activity in any anchorage except Kuto Bay. This descion will last for the next coming six months in order to decide or not if the ban should be "for ever". I've very close friends that were asked to leave in November when they anchored in the perstine bay of Gadji. Other fellows have been told to leave Oro Bay immediately. The very famous sand bank "Noukanhui" shown on every post card is a no-no since over a year. This may come as a total surprise and without warning since very few people get the information. No media will ever talk about it and you might find out only by the hard and unplesant way. I sailed all over the island 18 months ago without any problem. Don't forget that wind and kite surfing is forbidden around the island and don't fish in local waters, except trolling on your way. Special care should be taken in Ouvea as well and in general during festivities and elections. Please, don't be scared of, just use commun sens and you will enjoy the most beutiful sceanerises and people. Regards, Thomas
Chablis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 12:57   #6

I also live in NEW CALEDONIA most of the year and frequently sail to Ile des PINS. With westerlies we usually go to Baie de Kanumera which is right around the corner of KUTO also OK to anchor.
Mid November 2018 I saw some catamarans near the MERIDIEN hotel but in general we are warned to stick to KUTO and KANUMERA.

Besides that: NEW CAL is a great area to sail around: very expensive but beautiful with a lot of deserted islands & bays. Highly recommended.
TDB1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 14:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chablis 1 View Post
In August this year the Chefferie (wise old men represting all tribes on the ilsand) of Iles de Pins took the descion to forbid any activity in any anchorage except Kuto Bay. This descion will last for the next coming six months in order to decide or not if the ban should be "for ever".
What prompted this decision?
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 11:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
What prompted this decision?
Not sure but in my opinion the November 2018 independence referendum played a big role as the KANAKS are everywhere in the majority (especially on Ile des PINS and the LOYALTY ISLANDS) EXCEPT in NOUMEA.
These areas (IdP, LI) are effectively under their control. The outcome of the referendum was much, much closer than expected with 2 more referendi to follow before a final decision.
TDB1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 13:03   #9

You can buy: https://cruising-vanuatu.com/

Or usually you can get an older version free from someone.

I'd suggest leaving from somewhere further south if possible, even the Gold coast. Better angle.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:45   #10
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Vanuatu Cruising Guide is a reasonably up to date resource for Vanuatu.
I second 44'cruisingcat's advice of leaving from further south. I like Southport then ride the leading edge of a high pressure system to New Cal.
I'm based in the popular Oyster Island anchorage on Espiritu Santo in Vanuatu and can give you any help or advice you want.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, charts, New Caledonia, Vanuatu