Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2018, 10:39   #1

Boat: 29' Gaff Cutter
Crew Wanted Port Townsend to San Francisco

Looking for a couple of sailors to help me sail my 30" gaff cutter from Port Townsend to San Francisco. Boat was new in 2016 and in excellent condition.

I plan to leave immediately following the Wooden Boat Festival which ends
Sept 9th. Would like to sail non stop from Neah Bay to San Francisco, but am not opposed to sailing a route closer to shore and making a couple of stops along the way.

This is a non paying position, but I will pay your return airfare back to Seattle and any reasonable ground transportation for your return trip.

Richard Beck
richbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 13:59   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Crew Wanted Port Townsend to San Francisco

Just to clarify here, is she 30 ft? or 29 ft? what length waterline? pic? (of boat)

Thanks,

Ann
Old 30-08-2018, 14:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbeck View Post
Looking for a couple of sailors to help me sail my 30" gaff cutter from Port Townsend to San Francisco. Boat was new in 2016 and in excellent condition.

I plan to leave immediately following the Wooden Boat Festival which ends
Sept 9th. Would like to sail non stop from Neah Bay to San Francisco, but am not opposed to sailing a route closer to shore and making a couple of stops along the way.

This is a non paying position, but I will pay your return airfare back to Seattle and any reasonable ground transportation for your return trip.

Richard Beck
Richard give nick a holler he is on my old Spencer the La Ruina a Spencer s42 she is light blue topsides with a white hull. He is currently anchored out by the ferry terminal in Pt Townsend as we speak. If you can't find him pm me I will see what we can do to get you guys together.
Old 30-08-2018, 14:49   #4

JPA Cate

29' on deck, closer to 30' at the bulwarks tops.
Old 30-08-2018, 15:26   #5

Here is a picture of Beckon:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...=1&d=153566786

Reason for such an unkept look is I just finished an 8 hour crossing of the Straits of Juan de Fuca to Port Angeles in less than ideal conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat picture.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	176506  
Old 31-08-2018, 09:53   #6

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

Quote:

Richard Beck
Quote:
JPA Cate

29' on deck, closer to 30' at the bulwarks tops.
Ah, okay. I was a little concerned about 1 person sailing down in a 30 inch boat, let alone taking on crew.

She's a beauty though, and doesn't look at all unkept. She looks active and ready to go.
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 11:15   #7

Boat: Coast 30

Jenta,...Humorous observation of a typo! if only everyone read these posts that carefully. and even tried to proof read what they wrote. X2 your observation that Richard has a beautiful looking vessel.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 11:25   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

WARNING: Have you done this passage before? I mention that because this is no journey for sissies. You need someone who is experienced in real heavy weather sailing.

There is a small chance ( less than 10%) that it will be as smooth as glass the whole journey. There is a 70% chance you will encounter waves at least 10 feet or taller. There is a 20 % chance you may encounter winds in excess of 30 kts. BE PREPARED. Either you will be motoring a lot because there's no wind, or you will be motoring a lot because you have to keep the boat under control.

The Coast of Washington and Oregon have relatively few safe harbors with accessible entrances. The charts are not always up to date. Especially fun when there is a miserable fog bank. Do you have radar?

I speak from experience. Once was enough.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 11:50   #9

I did wonder why Richard wrote (Would like to sail non stop from Neah Bay to San Francisco, ( but am not opposed to sailing a route closer to shore and making a couple of stops along the way.)

So now do we assume that the second part of the sentence should have concluded with weather permitting?
Old 31-08-2018, 11:57   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
I did wonder why Richard wrote (Would like to sail non stop from Neah Bay to San Francisco, ( but am not opposed to sailing a route closer to shore and making a couple of stops along the way.)

So now do we assume that the second part of the sentence should have concluded with weather permitting?
likely yes however IME its much more comfortable of a passage to go 200 miles offshore and run straight downhill then into SFO .
Old 31-08-2018, 12:12   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

Absolutely the best way is head offshore 150 - 200 miles and then go south. Staying within 100 miles of shore is asking for a rough ride.

That said, remember, when you are 200 mi offshore, you are in the middle of the ocean. No cell phone coverage out there. USCG helicopter probably can't help you if you get in trouble. You need to provision and rig for offshore sailing. Totally different experience than coastal cruising.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 12:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheintz View Post
Absolutely the best way is head offshore 150 - 200 miles and then go south. Staying within 100 miles of shore is asking for a rough ride.

That said, remember, when you are 200 mi offshore, you are in the middle of the ocean. No cell phone coverage out there. USCG helicopter probably can't help you if you get in trouble. You need to provision and rig for offshore sailing. Totally different experience than coastal cruising.
actually still within USCG help range in the event you sink.
Their below have a max of approx 800 miles so 200 would still give them a bit of time on station to fish you out of the drink.
But unless your in an exposure suit well all bets are off .
Old 31-08-2018, 12:46   #13

By the way... If my memory serves me correctly...Didn't a world famous sailing expert named Jennie Socrates experience some difficulties last year making two attempts at this? and trashed two JSD's in the process.

(or was that a different time of year?)

Apart from the major inconvenience of taking the rig down and packing it away. plus of course the $$$ cost A 30 foot vessel could be moved by road with perhaps less risk.
Old 31-08-2018, 13:02   #14

I've had a number of friends who have done this trip and the best weather route seems to be a toss up between a coastal route and one 60 to 100 miles out. Two weeks ago friends made a run to San Francisco and had favorable weather 100 miles offshore.

A week ago there were a number of boats in Neah Bay waiting for the surface swells to widen as they were runnning 6 to 12' in height, but with a frequency of 5 to 8 seconds due east/west. They started near the shore and extended 60+ miles out.

I have not done this trip before, but I have been planning and researching for it for 2 years. It is not something that I care to do more than once.

And yes, my comment should have included "weather permitting."
Old 31-08-2018, 13:42   #15

Boat: Islander 37

I am going to port townsend to anchor thru wooden boat festival hope to see you there will enjoy hearing your plans. I hope to take the passage
in my boat it will help me develop a crew plan fair winds
patrick brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crew wanted, san francisco, wanted