Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 09:31   #1

SSB antenna type and location

I'm in the hunt for an icom m802 ssb radio and related peripherals. The questions I have for Lagoon owners are:

what antenna are you using?
what is the location of the antenna install?
if you installed a separate antenna for DSC, if so, where?
have you had issues with noise to the radio from solar array on board, if so, were you able to do anything about it?

Photos of antenna installs would also be appreciated.

Regards to you all
xhogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:19   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: SSB antenna type and location

Backstay or vertical aerial are your options. You dont need a seperate dsc antenna.

I'm not aware of ssb dsc ever being useful in a rescue. Few vessels monitor ssb 24/7. Vhf dsc and ais are far more useful. Otherwise an epirb, plb, satphone, spot or inreach seems more useful for comms or help requests out of vhf range.

We have an Icom M710 and ham radio, each with seperate tuners and backstay aerials on our Liberty 458. No ssb dsc experience.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:21   #3

thanks,

my lagoon 440 is without backstay.
xhogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:48   #4

Boat: Allegro 33

I have a friend who like you have a catamaran without backstay's. So consequently I suggested him to install a vertical whip antenna aft on one of the hulls. This works fine since there are no backstay's close to the antenna interfering with it. I think he bought a Shakespear whip antenna 7 m.
He also installed the larger Dynaplate on the hull.

Previously I had MPPT regulators for my solar panels but these where noisy on the HF bands so I kicked those out and replaced them with linear regulators.
The make is Morningstar. I have since I installed these not noticed any disturbance on the HF bands from the solar charging.

I can't really notice any degradation in charging capacity. If you have a HF radio on board I think it's wise to settle for linear regulator's.
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 21:09   #5
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

I will be following this thread with interest as I too am in the exact same process with my 380. I have been considering a rope antenna run from the port port side of the mast to the outer side of the deck a few feet forward of the main shroud but I have concerns with its proximity to the shroud and its potential detriment to the signal.

Derick
Stray Cat
L380 # 24
Old 09-05-2017, 08:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Backstay or vertical aerial are your options. You dont need a seperate dsc antenna.

I'm not aware of ssb dsc ever being useful in a rescue. Few vessels monitor ssb 24/7. Vhf dsc and ais are far more useful. Otherwise an epirb, plb, satphone, spot or inreach seems more useful for comms or help requests out of vhf range.

We have an Icom M710 and ham radio, each with seperate tuners and backstay aerials on our Liberty 458. No ssb dsc experience.
With regard to vessels monitoring ssb DSC, all commecial vessels over 300GT which trade outside of GMDSS Area A1 (VHF range) have to monitor MF DSC frequencies these being 2187.5 KHz if trading in GMDSS Area A2 within MF range of a coast station abt 500 nautical miles and if trading GMDSS Areas A3 and A4 monitor the vast majority of the worlds oceans 2187.5Khz and 8414.5 Khz + one DSC frequency in either the 4, 6, 12 or 16 mHz bands at all times.

They also have to monitor the VHF DSC Ch70 at all times.

VHF/AIS may be very useful when on cruising on a busy coast but as they are line of sight only they are next to useless at any other time, then it is back to an EPIRB backed up either a good SSB radio or a Ship Earth Station with a distress alert on it.
wjhutchings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:34   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post

As already noted, for all intents and purposes ALL ships monitor HF/DSC. It's part fo the GMDSS system along with epirbs, etc. As many do NOT monitor either their HF or VHF it's important to set up DSC; that is automatically monitored and responses are pre-established. Lots of threads here on that
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
As already noted, for all intents and purposes ALL ships monitor HF/DSC. It's part fo the GMDSS system along with epirbs, etc. As many do NOT monitor either their HF or VHF it's important to set up DSC; that is automatically monitored and responses are pre-established. Lots of threads here on that
Scott

All commercial vessels over 300Gt monitor VHF DSC 24/7 and those that operate outside of VHF range monitor the MF/HF DSC channels 24/7 whilst at sea, this has to be recorded in the radio log book.
wjhutchings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:57   #9

Boat: Irwin, 43MKIII, 43

Those that do not have HF DSC do not even know how many DSC Distress, Urgent, and Safety calls go out. Many of these are commercial vessels, but I hear 2 - 3 cruisers very cruising season. Commercial vessels are only required to monitor DSC. All countries are required to monitor HF DSC. The US monitors all 6 emergency frequencies and I have heard them respond from VA, CA, LA, and HI.

Without a DSC antenna you can make DSC calls, Position reports, and even Distress, Urgent and Safety calls. However, you will not receive a digital response to your distress call from the Coast Guard. In that response is included what frequency they want to talk to you on.

It is possible to treat the M802 like an old M710 or Ham gear, but for around $120 you can significantly increase your potential call for help from Search and Rescue around the world. If you are crossing an ocean and the Coast Guard is 1000 miles away it can be important to be able to talk to the commercial vessels over the horizon.

Be smart, get the antenna and learn to use DSC on HF and VHF. From my experience, a VHF call to a commercial vessel is always answered.

Terry Sparks
Made Simple for Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhogpilot View Post
I'm in the hunt for an icom m802 ssb radio and related peripherals. The questions I have for Lagoon owners are:

have you had issues with noise to the radio from solar array on board, if so, were you able to do anything about it?

Regards to you all
TLSparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:05   #10

Boat: FP, Orana 44, Mari's Leonardo
Send a message via Skype™ to marisleonardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhogpilot View Post

Regards to you all

I have had great success and ease with installation with The Gam/McKim split lead backstay (I used my starboard shroud) to an AT140 tuner and then onto my 802 transceiver. My boat is a catamaran, FP Orana 44. Great Ham and SSB transmissions.
marisleonardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, ssb